Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to make my AIM buddies not show up on my contacts list? All of my AIM friends are already in my contact list with their numbers/AIM name and it really bothers me that its in there twice. Seems unnecessary.

Im new to the Pre so j/w!

thnx
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Why not just link the aim profiles to their corresponding 'owners' in your address book? That's kinda the whole point of Synergy on the Pre.
    More importantly I have yet to find a way to add/remove buddies from my AIM account using the Pre.
    I personally like an "aim" feel so i keep my aim contacts un-linked from their contacts.
    Do that many people really open the contacts app anyway other than maybe to add a new contact (though there's other ways to do that too)? I honestly can say I haven't touched the Contacts app since I set up my Pre.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Alrighty then so im guessing thats a no to my question since all of you guys are just telling me why im wrong.

Thanks.

Not coming back here again.
    Quote Originally Posted by devise View Post
    Alrighty then so im guessing thats a no to my question since all of you guys are just telling me why im wrong.
    Well if there was an actual way to do so, we wouldn't be telling you workarounds. Unfortunately, no, you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by devise View Post

Thanks.

Not coming back here again.
    Actually ssrjazz did give you answer. Just link the aim contacts to your friends entry's with there phone numbers just like you would with facebook then they only show up once but if you click them and open up there contact page all the info is still there. Neat huh! Although you will figure out soon enough that aim on the pre is a major power drain right now because of the way it works. I have heard rumors of palm and aim working on a way to fix it though so maybe 1.2. Also for future use wait more then 24 minutes for an answer before whining.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acidbeaver View Post
    Actually ssrjazz did give you answer. Just link the aim contacts to your friends entry's with there phone numbers just like you would with facebook then they only show up once but if you click them and open up there contact page all the info is still there. Neat huh! Although you will figure out soon enough that aim on the pre is a major power drain right now because of the way it works. I have heard rumors of palm and aim working on a way to fix it though so maybe 1.2. Also for future use wait more then 24 minutes for an answer before whining.
    Sigh, read the first post again.

Edit: Too harsh.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acidbeaver View Post
    The problem with this suggestion is that some people, like myself, have totally different people on their AIM buddy list than their actual phone contact list. For example, I participate in fantasy and simulation baseball leagues and have a whole list of AIM contacts from those leagues, but they are certainly not people that I would ever call. It would be nice to have the ability to send an occasional AIM message without having to flood my phone contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    The problem with this suggestion is that some people, like myself, have totally different people on their AIM buddy list than their actual phone contact list. For example, I participate in fantasy and simulation baseball leagues and have a whole list of AIM contacts from those leagues, but they are certainly not people that I would ever call. It would be nice to have the ability to send an occasional AIM message without having to flood my phone contacts.
    Yes I understand but in the original post he said they were already in there. Hopefully they will make it so you can hide them in contacts when they fix aim.
    Here is what you were looking for:

Go to the Contacts app.

Open the app menu (the top left menu) and go into Preferences and Accounts. Remove the AIM account.

It removes the AIM contacts from your phone but leaves your AIM username/password info in the messaging app. Same works with removing your gmail contacts.

You might have to remove the contacts manually then, as I had to do.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Just looked into that arthurthornton and it didn't work. I added my aim account (because I don't leave it on my pre cause of battery drain) and all my buddies showed up in contacts and I went to remove the aim account from contacts and it wasn't there just my palm facebook and google accounts were. Are you using 1.1?
    Yeah, I am using 1.1.

It seems strange, as I could have sworn I removed AIM from there.

I know I removed Facebook and Gmail from it before removing gmail altogether (well over 7000 spam emails in my inbox from back to 2004!) and I think I removed AIM accounts. I know I linked a ton of the accounts to my other contacts. It is quite tedious, but it works.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Perhaps you did it with an earlier version. I bought my pre the day after 1.1 was out so I have about an hours worth of experience with anything else so I really don't know. I did just look into that spam thing with gmail and it seems that you can choose not to sync that folder if you don't want to but only in every other 3rd party email app. Not a big deal for me right now as I just started using gmail because of too much spam from my yahoo that I've had since 2000. You can however choose to just sync email from the last month, 2 weeks, 7 days, 3 days, or just the last day. Although not good if you want that old stuff. Could always just delete the spam though.