Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would someone mind posting a link please? I looked through 30 pages of posts and could not find one. Thanks.
  2.    #3  
    Lovely, thank you.
    Now, are instructions as to how to proceed with installing it available? :-O
    can't help you there... its suggested that you only use it with the SDK emulator
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    can't help you there... its suggested that you only use it with the SDK emulator
    No... it's not. It is not possible to use a webOS Doctor image to do anything at all with the emulator.

But, I do suggest waiting the few days, for most it's probably not worth erasing everything and starting fresh to do it, the only reason I ended up doing it is because I was having some nagging issues from mods lately anyway.

In other words, I highly highly recommend against using this, and won't be held responsible for any issues you have.

However, if you insist on doing it, I can at least give you the instructions to do it right:

First, you'll need to download the .jar and you'll need Java 1.6 installed. Then turn off your Pre, and hold down the volume up button while plugging in the USB cable. You'll see a giant USB symbol on the screen. You can then run webOS Doctor (a .jar is an executable Java program) and it'll update your Pre to webOS 1.2.

After doing this, I highly recommend following the Accessing Linux instructions and then Blocking Updates so that it won't try to 'update' to 1.1 and possibly screw up your Pre. You'll probably need to reflash anyway when the official 1.2 update comes out, so don't put anything too critical on your Pre that you'll just have to transfer back.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/04/2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No... it's not. It is not possible to use a webOS Doctor image to do anything at all with the emulator.

But, I do suggest waiting the few days, for most it's probably not worth erasing everything and starting fresh to do it, the only reason I ended up doing it is because I was having some nagging issues from mods lately anyway.

In other words, I do not recommend using this, and won't be held responsible for any issues you have.

However, if you insist on doing it, I can at least give you the instructions to do it right

First, you'll need to download the .jar and you'll need Java 1.6 installed. Then turn off your Pre, and hold down the volume up button while plugging in the USB cable. You'll see a giant USB symbol on the screen. You can then run webOS Doctor (a .jar is an executable Java program) and it'll update your Pre to webOS 1.2.

After doing this, I highly recommend following the Accessing Linux instructions and then Blocking Updates so that it won't try to 'update' to 1.1 and possibly screw up your Pre. You'll probably need to reflash anyway when the official 1.2 update comes out, so don't put anything too critical on your Pre that you'll just have to transfer back.
    Thanks for posting this, its gonna save me from the hassle of having to downgrade to 1.1 tonight...

edit: I tried it, and no luck... You kill the updatedaemon, and it pops up the notification asking if you want to install the update.

edit2: oops, I did +x, not -x, was my mistake
    Last edited by Elysian893; 09/04/2009 at 07:06 PM.
    @jhoff:

In another thread, they said you could pull a jar file from that file linked above and replace that with what the EMU uses and then you'd be running the leaked 1.2
    why don't you guys have patience for the official update to roll out?..why risk bricking your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    @jhoff:

In another thread, they said you could pull a jar file from that file linked above and replace that with what the EMU uses and then you'd be running the leaked 1.2
    Don't know what to tell you other than they're wrong. Emulator is an x86 build. The Pre (and this version) is ARM.
    Yeah I agree 100% with jhoff. This won't permanently wreck your device, but it's a number of steps beyond installing homebrew.

If you're technically competent enough to at least have Optware installed, have SSH'ed into your Pre before, and have manually installed patches with quilt, then you should have zero issues testing out 1.2.

Otherwise, you run the risk of bricking your phone and not understanding how to fix it. I didn't link the 1.2 image in the OP of the other thread for a reason.

Worst case scenario: your phone decides to auto install the 1.1 "update" while you're out driving around. Now you're stuck without a phone until you get to your computer. Better hope there's not an emergency you'd need a phone for! I don't want to bear any responsibility for that kind of stuff.
  10.    #11  
    OK, that's enough disclaimers already :-)
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    And Dabigappledadon, where's the fun in patiently waiting when you have a rare chance to wreck your phone? :-)
    I am waiting, just wanted to download the file in case they take too long with the ota.
    Yeah it's cool dude, I just don't wanna get blamed for someone missing the call that their wife just gave birth
    can some1 tell me how to get the 5app view with 4rows like on the virtual keyboard demo
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Lovely, thank you.
    Now, are instructions as to how to proceed with installing it available? :-O
    If you need instructions, you probably shouldn't install it. There are things that will bork your Pre. It is standard WebOS Doctor. Just install it as you would restore.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Wouldn't it be possible to pull out the files related to individual updates and install those separately? Say I was just itching to get the LED notification or web browser downloads, and only installed those?

I am technically literate (Not a 'how do I root my phone?' people), but am curious to things like this.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    OK, that's enough disclaimers already :-)
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    And Dabigappledadon, where's the fun in patiently waiting when you have a rare chance to wreck your phone? :-)
    I am waiting, just wanted to download the file in case they take too long with the ota.
    Besides, I've got TEP as an ultimate final resort...
    There is NO risk of bricking your phone, please ignore whoever says so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    There is NO risk of bricking your phone, please ignore whoever says so.
    Just responded to this in another post, but there's always a chance. The Pre does have a GREAT recovery setup, so 99.9% of the time even if you have an issue it'll be fixable by running webOS Doctor again. But there is a tiny chance of something going totally wrong with anything.

Regardless, if someone can't figure out how to get to a terminal window and disable updates, it's not worth them doing this.
    ok i got a question. Is there a way to install apps from Palm's app catalog? I keep on getting error. Is there another way to get pandora? thanks in advance.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Has anyone successfully got the 1.2 to work?
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast