View Poll Results: What do you think about my list?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right on!

3 27.27%
  • I have a few similar issues

3 27.27%
  • So so

1 9.09%
  • The Pre is perfect

1 9.09%
  • The Pre has waaaay more issues than that!

2 18.18%
  • I'm going to hate the Pre no matter what they do to it

1 9.09%
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I posted this a few weeks ago on my blog, but I thought with WebOS 1.2 potentially coming out shortly, it would be awesome to see how many of my big issues are being resolved. I know everyone's list would be different, but I figure this covers a lot of the really big important ones to me. Before I get tons of posts complaining, just realize that this list does not make me dislike the Pre. I really love it, I'm just hoping that it lives up to what I hope it can be! Some things I'll have to wait for the Pre 2, but many are software related.

Used Pre for a couple months. What do I think? Issues? Annoyances? Hopes? Wants?

Through popular request... here my post copied to here:

The Pre is by far the best phone I’ve ever used. It’s more powerful than any phone I’ve seen and most problems I have with it will probably be worked out with time. On that note, I’d like to focus purely on Issues/Annoyances/Hopes/Wants for both this Pre and the follow on ones.

Hardware:

* Battery Life is pretty bad (this may be partially fixed through software, but it would still be nice to have a higher capacity battery. I would like to be able to leave wifi/bluetooth/gps/chat/push email on all day without worrying about it, and make it so the screen doesn’t go to sleep after a few seconds)
    * slider wiggle / oreo twist / gap (apparently not everyone has this, but a significant number do)

Software:

* If Palm Profile is defaulted, changes on phone do not sync to gmail. Would love to be able to see what data is stored on which account (lots of other issues with synergy like this)
    * as screen dims out you have to type something on the keyboard before it activates, so sometimes it takes two presses before you start typing again when you’re texting back and forth
    * Currently there’s a limit to how many apps can be installed. This seems very stupid and I would hope they would fix it very soon.
    * Would be really nice to have other languages supported.
    * landscape virtual keyboard when phone is in landscape mode
    * copy/paste that works throughout the phone
    * sync between gmail tasks and pre task app
    * have the ability to open PDFs from a web browser
    * lag when answering phone call and doing other time critical tasks. Answering call and setting to speaker phone takes at least a few seconds
    * If battery dies, the phone is unuseable for at least 10-15 minutes while battery is charging.
    * Startup time is soooooooo slow
    * seems to be not enough volume options. When listening to music, sometimes you have a choice between very quiet or very loud
    * signal strenth seems to jump significantly even when standing in one place
    * No option to sign in and out of chat networks separately
    * backup does not backup all the phone’s settings (at least have an option to sync the settings to a local computer)
    * only 3 pages of launcher icons (would be nice to at least have folders)
    * There should be an option to answer the phone when the keybard slides out.
    * Make universal search really universal (search music, videos, pictures, etc)
    * visual voicemail / voicemail transcribe

Lack of Apps/Missing Apps:

* Official apps are being released VERY slow or not at all. Fortunately the homebrew scene is kicking **** so this doesn’t bother me that much at the moment.
    * Flash support on the browser
    * voice dialing/voice typing/voice recognition
    * video and voice recording needs to be added
    * No VNC/Logmein program yet

Accessories:

* would be nice if the earbuds had a volume control on it
    * charging on touchstone gets the Pre REALLY hot
    * touchstone does not come with its own power cable so you have to keep taking out the plug and putting it into your computer to drop files onto it until you buy an extra plug.
    * touchstone for the car very necessary so I don’t have to keep taking off the little microUSB cover

Features that would be nice on Pre 2:

* AM/FM radio (the TVs at the gym use FM to transmit sound and its frustrating to have to carry in a separate mp3 player if I want to watch TV)
    * microSDHC slot
    * 32+ GB of storage space
    * GSM/CDMA/World phone with SIM card
    * Slightly bigger OLED screen
    * 6+ MP auto focus camera with real zoom
    * More sturdy casing (use light weight metal instead of plastic)
    * Three way on/off/vibrate switch (third option to set everything to vibrate instead of just on/off)

If Palm added all these features and fixed all these problems and the 3rd party apps started flowing like crazy then I can’t imagine I’d ever have to switch phones. I’d just upgrade every year or two for faster processors, better battery life and more storage space.
    Last edited by schnoid; 09/04/2009 at 08:06 PM.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't want to go to your blog. Post your list here?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    It's pretty long and formatting gets messed up when I try to post it here. I'll do that when I have time later. If you're worried, I don't have any ads or BS on my blog and have only posted 3 things since I put it up over a year ago. Trust me, I'm not making money off it
    Completely agree- but you could add:

put back every "benefit" of the previous Treo's. (Vcard/vcal suppport - send & receive via Blutooth/sms/email, things like that)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post

put back every "benefit" of the previous Treo's. (Vcard/vcal suppport - send & receive via Blutooth/sms/email, things like that)
    Very good points. I'll definitely add those later on. Being able to transfer files to/from my Pre via bluetooth would be awesome! I'd love to just set the phone on the touchstone and not worry about pluggin in the phone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Same here. Complaints are always an entertaining read but I'm not chasing blog links to do it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Same here. Complaints are always an entertaining read but I'm not chasing blog links to do it.
    Fair enough. I'm not forcing anyone to go there, like I said, I'll try and post my list here when I get a chance.
    Nary a mention about the calendar fubar
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    Nary a mention about the calendar fubar
    which ones specifically? I honestly don't use the calendar all that much, but when I do, it seems to work for my needs. Granted I'm not using exchange and multiple calendars. I just have one single gmail calendar that's being sync'd from my local outlook.
  10.    #10  
    For all of you that really had an issue going to my blog, I copied and pasted my post here for you to read.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    You're running a poll on what people think about your post?

Seems kind of arrogant to me?
    Arrogant > stupid. That counts for something.

Anyways, good list.
    I completely agree. Nice post.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    You're running a poll on what people think about your post?

Seems kind of arrogant to me?
    Actually it's a poll on if people consider this stuff important or not, but thanks for your concern. I could've left the poll off, but I just like polls for some reason. If you don't like it, feel free to not answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post

looks like vcard support has been confirmed on 1.2
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Great list schnoid. I totally agree with the lack of Bluetooth file transferring. I don't have a Pre yet, but that sounds annoying having to constantly open and close the USB door, that can potentially fall off, and allow dust and stuff to seep in, damaging internal components over time.

The one workaround I know some people on the forums use, and one that I plan on using, unless by the time I get a Pre (sometime in the next few weeks) is resolved, is that when your Pre is Touchstone'd you can have a second USB cable attached to your PC/Mac and execute your file sharing like that, though that still requires the USB door to be opened/closed when you go out and about again.....still that's the only solution I can think of...

Two phones ago I had a Moto Razr in black on then-Cingular, eventual AT&T, and it had Bluetooth enabled for such activities. I don't understand how a simple phone like that can do such a complicated task when a sophisticated phone like the Pre cannot. That baffles me as it does others.