1.    #1  
    For the most part all smartphones are similar i.e. syncing contacts, outlook, email, calendar but I don't get all the iphone vs pre comparisons. Sure iphone is one of the top selling phones or is the top seller but so was the motorola razor. The one thing I know about the iphone is that it knows what it wants to be. It is an extension of the mac os family and as such syncs perfectly to it. Not sure if you need third party software to sync the iphone though.

All this brings me to the pre. I'm not sure what catergory it falls in. It's not exactly a smartphone compared to the treo line. As of now the pre seems to be an entertainment device instead of an all purpose PIM / computer on the go device. Unlike the iphone the pre doesn't have corresponding desktop operating system to sync perfectly to. And it doesn't have to. The pre should find its niche and stick to it which I think is personal informational management. No flashy transition graphics or wacky games just my personal info at the palm of my hand that is quickly accessible. Right now it feels the company doesn't have a gameplan. And if Palm does have a gameplan they need to do a better job of explaining it to their customers.

IMO - The pre sprint launch was setup to fail. First rumors circulating that pre would launch on verizon in six months to year. This put would be buyers to hold off switching to sprint. The other issue I remember was before pre launched that I read somewhere some sprint or palm executive said they don't have to advertise because of the demand was already huge. The whole time I was thinking what kind of strategy is that. Even when crappy movies are released the marketing occurs before the release date to get as many buyers as possible. And if it does well that first week and good word of mouth occurs then more marketing. Now the marketing is everyone but the word of mouth isn't there.

The pre window is closing fast. Now that sprint's new toy the hero is on the horizon the pre wont get that marketing push. Oddly enough the pre is not dead in the water. Add a few features and the pre would back in the running. The pre HAS to have by the fall; docs2go, flash support in browser or allow third party browsers, full bluetooth functionality, camcorder, a better video/music player that plays multiple files, and a financial app (a must have for any smartphone) and an update to tasks/memos/calendar. Those features are deal breakers for most people. Relying on google for basic functions (i.e. calendar) is not the solution.

If Palm would post on a forum indicating what will be in the next webos update that would allay most people's fears. Not knowing causes people to panic and dump the phone for the next shiny thing.
    Nope - There will always be a comparison. The comparison is good, because it creates a competition where there once wasn't one. The Pre needs to be compared against the best so it can improve. I agree it can be tiresome to read the Palm Pre cannot do what the Iphone can do posts, but overall I think it is a net positive for Palm to always be mentioned with the Iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    For the most part all smartphones are similar i.e. syncing contacts, outlook, email, calendar

All this brings me to the pre. I'm not sure what catergory it falls in. It's not exactly a smartphone compared to the treo line. As of now the pre seems to be an entertainment device instead of an all purpose PIM / computer on the go device. Unlike the iphone the pre doesn't have corresponding desktop operating system to sync perfectly to. And it doesn't have to. The pre should find its niche and stick to it which I think is personal informational management.
    All Smartphones seem to be able to sync contacts, email & calendar. Tasks and Memos/Notes seem to be excluded from the shiny new systerms like iPhone and Android. Palm includes them in a half hearted way which excludes syncing (except tasks with exchange).

I am not sure that "personal informational management" is the WebOS niche. It does a better job than the iPhone perhaps but the iPhone doesn't set the bar that high. WebOS seems to be trying to fill the gap between iPhone and Blackberry. Its better at messaging & PIM than the iPhone but much worse than the Blackberry. It has a much better then the BB but its media features are not as good as the iPhone.
    Palm/Sprint released the Pre as a direct iPhone competitor.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    If Palm would post on a forum indicating what will be in the next webos update that would allay most people's fears. Not knowing causes people to panic and dump the phone for the next shiny thing.
    I agree, it would be great if Palm would just let everyone know some info on what is planned and when. It seems almost vital to keeping us early adopters happy and assured the features / apps are coming.

The problem is (as explained to me by Palm themselves) the Pre is the first device where Palm is using a different accounting method for booking the revenue. This new method has SOX rules that have penalties if Palm were to make public info about the Pre and then not deliver when they say they will.

I can give some detail about how the revenue booking works and why Palm is using it if ya want. ...just didn't want to go into detail unless some are curious.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    The Pre is pretty clearly targeting the same audience as the iPhone. Comparisons are inevitable.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    I agree, it would be great if Palm would just let everyone know some info on what is planned and when. It seems almost vital to keeping us early adopters happy and assured the features / apps are coming.

The problem is (as explained to me by Palm themselves) the Pre is the first device where Palm is using a different accounting method for booking the revenue. This new method has SOX rules that have penalties if Palm were to make public info about the Pre and then not deliver when they say they will.

I can give some detail about how the revenue booking works and why Palm is using it if ya want. ...just didn't want to go into detail unless some are curious.
    Go for it. im interested.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Palm Pre is just that, The Palm Pre......The Iphone is just that the Iphone..Take it our leave it. the choice is yours. buy what makes YOU happy...Competive buisness obviously must compare and contrast with there counter parts its common sense..now I do agree with halting the basing of either phone..and let them live in there own glory and as a consumer buy what makes you happy.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Can we stop comparing LG televisions to Samsung televisions already? Sheesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Or Pizza; my Dad to your Dad; shoes to feet; Pc to Mac; Lord Voldemort to Harry Potter, etc.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Guys, the i phone is not new developed. The pre is, so theres no need to compare. palm needs to step it up and when they do pre will be the best phone ever invented.
    Asking for people to stop comparing the Pre to the Iphone is like asking democrats and republicans to agree on healthcare. It just won't happen so don't hold your breath.
    In my near obsessive perusal of mobile tech blogs, nearly EVERY phone, touch screen or not, is being compared to the iPhone. It's the way of the world. Apple is the perceived technological leader. Comparison will always happen as long as it is.

nb
    Palm marketing is largely responsible for the comparisons. Right from the launch announcement, it was positioned against the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    That was actually a good post, but unfortunately you're going to get more comments based on the thread title than the actual thread content.

The one thing I know about the iphone is that it knows what it wants to be. It is an extension of the mac os family and as such syncs perfectly to it.
    All this brings me to the pre. I'm not sure what catergory it falls in. It's not exactly a smartphone compared to the treo line.
    I think you made a good point. The iPhone has a specific audience, but the Pre seems to be all over the place.
    - Exchange support but no local sync option (its why I can't recommend it to sales staff)
    - An iTunes hack but has a horrible media player
    - Deep facebook integration but no facebook app
    - MMS Support but an outdated non-autofocusing camera
    - It's entertainment centric but it only has 8GB storage.

Don't get me wrong. This is easily one of the top 3 phones on the market but you can go on forever on how many things seem slapped together on this phone. So I think it would be smart for them to focus more in one direction and make it perfect for that niche rather than shooting in all directions and doing a "passable" job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

I dunno, I kinda like my Samsung better than my LG.