Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    don't get me wrong im very happy with this phone, but i dont get why they cant toss in stuff like add a launcher page or ability to text forward... just some of the more simple stuff that the people at webos internalz has already accomplished... i mean damn just ask permission to take their hacks if they dont have time to do it their selfs
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    What I want:

1. Speed Improvements
    2. I want my connection to stop randomly switching to 1x.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beknatok View Post
    If you guys want to be safe, run the Palm emulator out of the SDK. Mine just finished downloading... will have initial feedback in a few minutes.
    How would I run the webosdoctor.jar file with the emulator?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So uh it downloaded 1.1 in the background and when I plugged my phone into charge I accidentally hit install now. Bricked the phone. Won't get past palm logo now. BE CAREFUL
    Yall better hurry up and install before the admins delete the link..
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    don't get me wrong im very happy with this phone, but i dont get why they cant toss in stuff like add a launcher page or ability to text forward... just some of the more simple stuff that the people at webos internalz has already accomplished... i mean damn just ask permission to take their hacks if they dont have time to do it their selfs
    Adding a page to the launcher was functionality already built in by Palm. All the internalz guys did was uncomment a few lines in the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by go4craig View Post
    So uh it downloaded 1.1 in the background and when I plugged my phone into charge I accidentally hit install now. Bricked the phone. Won't get past palm logo now. BE CAREFUL
    Good to know.
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yeah I don't get why it jumped from 1.1 to 1.2 with no major updates unless palm not done with it yet.
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the final 1.2 version. Very little has been changed, at least from the enduser perspective. We'll find out more about any under-the-hood changes when someone runs a diff on the 1.2 files I posted vs 1.1.

As of right now I wouldn't recommend flashing it to an actual phone on the off chance this isn't 1.2 final. There's really no apparent benefit over 1.1 until the 1.2 App Catalog can actually connect to Palm's server. Unless the speed increase I'm seeing isn't just the placebo effect haha.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by go4craig View Post
    Hahaha this is EXACTLY how I found out I was running 1.2. "Hmm the 1.1 upgrade is only 1 meg now? Wasn't it 80 or so last time I did this? Oh well. *10 min later* Oh hey there never ending Palm logo."
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Adding a page to the launcher was functionality already built in by Palm. All the internalz guys did was uncomment a few lines in the code.

ok so even more simple... why not do it...
    I can verify one thing, I just compared the build date on the webOSdoctor I downloaded earlier from Palm, and it was 7/24/09. The one I downloaded from megaupload is 8/30/09.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    My phone is only at 1.1 after the webdoctor.
    that's because you didn't check the build number of webos doctor before updating. you didn't need to go through the pain of the update. it's in the build number and build date.
    guys - I DO NOT recommend you install this on a Pre. If you accidentally allow it to "update" to 1.1, IT MAY BRICK YOUR PRE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I can verify one thing, I just compared the build date on the webOSdoctor I downloaded earlier from Palm, and it was 7/24/09. The one I downloaded from megaupload is 8/30/09.
    That was 5 days ago.. Somebody getting fired at Palm
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Started unzipping the various files inside.

The sprint.tar file is already showing differences... here's a quick list of the file apps whose versions have been incremented:

cdmacustomization-sprint_1.0.0-17_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nascar_1.0-34_armv7.ipk
    com.handson.app.nfl_1.0-28_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-62.2_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.0-64_armv7.ipk
    mobitv-sprint-rtspsrc_1.0.0-16.1_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-sprint_1.0-166_all.ipk
    sweatshop-sprint-castle_1.1-24_armv7.ipk

Still digging... about to kick on the Emulator
    Have you been able to see if the bogus memory partition is gone regarding downloaded apps?

I've got too many and want to try then new official ones (which of course aren't in PREware)
    Agree with Dieter. What happens when the real update comes out and you try to upgrade from your incomplete 1.2?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Even if the only thing added to the new WebOS was a required prerequisite to releasing the App Catalog with payment processing, wouldn't it be worth it? It would be followed by a jump in the number of available apps. It would be big news. More developers would potentially join because now there would be a clear financial incentive.

If my resources were limited I'd definitely focus all attention on this. I'd throw in a few bones of whatever low-risk high-value features my Development team and QA team had the bandwidth to achieve. If there were even the slightest chance that adding one of the other new features would break something and cause bad press that would affect the adoption of the Pre I would hold off on it. Low-risk means code that is highly isolated, i.e., it touches as few code files as possible.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    guys - I DO NOT recommend you install this on a Pre. If you accidentally allow it to "update" to 1.1, IT MAY BRICK YOUR PRE.
    Replace that "may" with "will." Not a big deal though, just run the doctor again but you'll likely need to hold down the volume up hard key when you plug the USB cable into your Pre to put it into bootloader mode manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I would agree that caution is important here, unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing, it is probably best to wait out a few days or so, see if an official update comes, and give experts in the forum time to determine the implications this might have for average Joes.

I have been burned in the past on other platforms, I will be taking Mr Bohn's advice and holding fast for a while.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    My primary hope is that the phone app is snappier and I don't accidentally hang up on people before even answering the phone.

Otherwise, also hope they take away the 60 app limit and base it on storage avail rather than num of apps.
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast