1.    #1  
    As I was reading the main page on Precentral, I saw that many people were upset about the new HTC coming out and how it is going to demolish the pre. Then there were others that were saying that a new version of the pre will come out soon. Does that mean that we are stuck with this one? I thought, my own stupidity I guess, is that the updates/apps would fix the problems, such as voice dialing, cut/paste/forward in text etc. I really like everything else, but these would be great. I just don't want to be stuck with the version that isn't great. I guess I would have to wait until my 2 years is up and upgrade to the new one? Please, someone help me to understand this.
    About 6 months after all those waiting for the next Pre will be mad they didn't wait for the next next Pre and so on. It's not cheap to keep getting the latest tech, but it is fun!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Actually, with the Sprint Premier benefit you can upgrade within 1 year. You will still have to pay the price of the current new or upgrade price. If you want to do that then you can get a new phone on a yearly basis.
    UntidyGuy,

I agree whole heartedly you buy a phone because it does what you need/want when you buy it, not what is promised down the line. I am happy with the Pre it does what I need it to do and most of what I want. That being said, I practically upgrade my device every year. I find that as long as I sell my phone when it's only a year old it gets a decent amount of money on ebay. Of course that may not be the case with the Pre if alot of them are out there. I'm sure my next phone is most likely going to be WebOS. Unless one of the other OS's does multi tasking like this then I may have to look at those.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Truth be told, I love this phone, flaws and all. If they come out with a new and truely improved model I would buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandt00 View Post
    I saw that many people were upset about the new HTC coming out and how it is going to demolish the pre.
    And if you buy the HTC then something else will become available shortly after that is going to demolish the HTC.

That's life in the technology world.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Truth be told, I love this phone, flaws and all. If they come out with a new and truely improved model I would buy it.
    I would only buy the new and improved model IF they still support this one with all the software upgrades it can handle at that point. I wouldn't want to buy another Palm if they stopped supporting a past device just because they released a new version. Look at Apple with the iPhone. They offered OS 3.0 even on their 2G. Of course if I had a 2G I'd have been on a 3G or 3GS by the time 3.0 came out, but I would be glad to know the company is giving th previous model all the software updates of the big boy (of course this isn't the best example because they didn't give the 3G or 2G video or voice support).
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I would only buy the new and improved model IF they still support this one with all the software upgrades it can handle at that point. I wouldn't want to buy another Palm if they stopped supporting a past device just because they released a new version. Look at Apple with the iPhone. They offered OS 3.0 even on their 2G. Of course if I had a 2G I'd have been on a 3G or 3GS by the time 3.0 came out, but I would be glad to know the company is giving th previous model all the software updates of the big boy (of course this isn't the best example because they didn't give the 3G or 2G video or voice support).
    That makes no sense to me.

Then again, neither does this thread. Palm is simply bumping up the storage to 16gb as expected they would by the holidays to spur sales. Nothing shocking going on here as many already speculated this would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That makes no sense to me.

Then again, neither does this thread. Palm is simply bumping up the storage to 16gb as expected they would by the holidays to spur sales. Nothing shocking going on here as many already speculated this would happen.

Ok abridged Version. If Palm releases a new model in year and gives it webos 2.0, but decides the 1st Pre doesn't get that upgrade, I probably wouldn't buy another Palm.

Also there is still no proof about a 16gb or higher capacity Pre. That's all Speculation based on placeholder model numbers in verizon and Sprint's inventory screens.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    It doesn't work that way anymore. The userbase of the Pre is the only momentum Palm has for the next gen Pre. If they make them incompatible then they will lose all the apps and all the developers they worked to get over the past year. I think it is safe to say that Palm will support the Pre at least long enough to get you through the 2 year contract. That said, I will be getting a Pre now along with an iPod Touch 3G, and next year will probably sell both and buy whatever device is capable of multitasking like the Pre, running as many apps as the iPod and is faster than either one of them. I don't know yet if this will be an Android device or a WebOS device, they both have a lot of potential.
    drizek, the Zune HD is less than 11 days away you should check that out before buying an ipod touch.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    The Zune HD doesn't run any apps right now.

If I wanted OLED I would just wait for the InstinctQ(Hero with better LCD and a keyboard). If I wanted games I would get a PSP Go.

And it is possible that hte 3G touch will support HD video. I have seen hacks showing the 3GS playing 720p files, and even the camera can record HD video in theory.