Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have heard the bashing and the praising that seems rather inconclusive. I would like to know is it a phone that can be used now, not in the future. My contract runs out with ATT soon, and I am thinking of jumping from the iphone to the Pre? Any reason I should keep this thought or rethink it. One of my main reasons for jumping is the idea of never having to hook my phone to a computer (mac) again and just syncing with Google Calender. The Media stuff seems pretty equal, and for a business phone not very important. As far as apps go, they are great for kids, but have little impact on the effectiveness of my occupation.

I appreciate this site, and that is why I joined. Please feel free to share without hesitation your thoughts on my question.

Thanks!
    I just switched from an Iphone and there is definite pro's and con's for each phone. Do what I did. I purhased the Pre but kept my iphone and if you realize you really like the Pre you can then cancel at&t and port your number to your Pre. I just ported my number yesterday after 3 weeks, I didn't miss my iphone at all.
    great phone should have alot of the little things that need tweaking fixed with the next update supposedly out this week or month sometime .
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    I have heard the bashing and the praising that seems rather inconclusive. I would like to know is it a phone that can be used now, not in the future. My contract runs out with ATT soon, and I am thinking of jumping from the iphone to the Pre? Any reason I should keep this thought or rethink it. One of my main reasons for jumping is the idea of never having to hook my phone to a computer (mac) again and just syncing with Google Calender. The Media stuff seems pretty equal, and for a business phone not very important.
    Of course its a phone that can be used. However, I will make two points.

1) The Pre is not the only smartphone that can sync with Google Calendar OTA. Most of them can including your iPhone (also the Blackberry and Android).

2) The media stuff is not equal, that's the area the iPod/Phone really excels at.

Also, if its a business phone your want, why are you even using an iPhone? Why not a Blackberry?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Give you some background. I am a Union Vice President who simply has to keep appointments and communication (text, mail, calls). When I said the media is equal on the iphone and pre, I meant to my need or use. I want a phone that I can keep up with my calendar, clients (members), mail. While the Blackberrys are good phones, I like the ease of use that the iPhone and Pre promote. I am a Mac user, it is all about ease of use for me. I am just afraid of having complications with the phone that will interfere with me doing my job. So I am asking for honest opinions without hype. I truly appreciate the comments so far.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    As a fellow union (IBEW) member, I think the pre will be sufficiant for you and your purpose. I think the next update will make it even more proficiant for buisness use, but for now it certainly is a user friendly and practical phone. Good luck, hope to see you as a future Pre owner.
    communication is where the pre excels IMO. The notification system is second to none. I use my pre in med school where my schedule is rarely consistent and I receive at least 20-30 e-mails daily. I have no problem keeping up, and the auto syncing (synergy) with google contacts, gmail, google calender is perfect for me.

Another useful aspect of the pre is that apps can communicate with each other. This hasn't been fully implemented yet, but it possible that someone emails you appointment information and an app could auto enter that into your calendar.

As far as media goes video playing is about on par (from what I understand, I don't do much of this), but the music player is sub par, but functional.

I also find that the physical keyboard is a lot more reliable for entering data and writing long e-mails. But that is a personal preference. I would go and play with a pre for a while, or buy one and try it out for 30 days as others have said. But it sounds like the pre would suit your needs better than an iphone. I see the iphone as more of a media device with a lot of apps that are meant to entertain rather than promote a work environment.
    Give you some background. I am a Union Vice President who simply has to keep appointments and communication (text, mail, calls). When I said the media is equal on the iphone and pre, I meant to my need or use. I want a phone that I can keep up with my calendar, clients (members), mail. While the Blackberrys are good phones, I like the ease of use that the iPhone and Pre promote. I am a Mac user, it is all about ease of use for me. I am just afraid of having complications with the phone that will interfere with me doing my job. So I am asking for honest opinions without hype. I truly appreciate the comments so far.
    I would say that the Pre would be better than the iPhone for your needs but not as good as a Blackberry. For your needs none of these phones are hard to use but the iPhone has a sucky email client and no keyboard.
    I feel that the iPhone, Pre, Android, and Blackberry all have their strengths. But compared to even a few years ago, they are all exceptional.

They each also have their own warts.

The iPhone's virtual keyboard sucks and is just not going to get better. I am not even 8 words per minute on the iPhone.

The Pre's real keyboard is ten times better for me. I can hit about 35 words per minute.

The iPhone does not have true multi-tasking. It can't flip back and forth between an email, messaging, phone, etc.

And the iPhone is not going to have an upgrade to add a physical keyboard or multi-tasking.

The Pre has things I don't like but all can be fixed in software. I chose the Pre not for the 1.1 phone it is but the phone I believe it will be.

And the fact that I save about $1,000 a year.

Truth be known, this really comes down to your personal preferences.

Pick the one you like best.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/03/2009 at 10:53 PM.
    right on bro
    I switched from iPhone to Pre just over two weeks ago. Mainly to save money on the service plan. Couldnt be happier. Really enjoying the Pre now. Not missing the iPhone at all. Sprint signal around my area is just great...no drop calls yet.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    I switched from iPhone to Pre just over two weeks ago. Mainly to save money on the service plan. Couldnt be happier. Really enjoying the Pre now. Not missing the iPhone at all. Sprint signal around my area is just great...no drop calls yet.
    same here i switched to save some money
    If it helps I just switched from a BlackBerry 7250 (yes a 4 year old phone), and while it did great on e-mails (big wide qwerty keypad), it was just so-so in my opinion on other things.

The one thing that I will warn you is that if you don't have a Microsoft Exchange Server to handle your mail, this will be a pain in the backside.

I can get upwards of 50+ e-mails a day from clients, friends and family and it's just not that easy to deal with, without the MES or a G-Mail account.

With the push technology from BB, you didn't need to have an exchange server and the mail just worked.

With the Pre if you use the standard Outlook e-mail program, as soon as you download your mail it comes off of the phone. So there isn't a way to save a message for a few days like you could on the BB.

With all that being said, I still really like the phone and am quite pleased that I go it, I just have to figure out a satisfactory solution to my e-mail problems.

Make the switch you won't be disappointed if you know in advance about your e-mail problems/solutions.
    Wow talk about some fan boy replies! Funny how many made sure to point out flaws in other phones but never elaborated on the pres weaknesses. I am not a fan of any phone period! They all seem to miss the train in one aspect or another. That said, the BEST ADVISE to give you and has been stated is to try it out. Sprint has a 30 day trail period. During this period you will see some basic features that are completely missing and the hardware of the pre is by far the worst I have ever owned, fact! Again you will be best served to give it a try yourself. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post
    If it helps I just switched from a BlackBerry 7250 (yes a 4 year old phone), and while it did great on e-mails (big wide qwerty keypad), it was just so-so in my opinion on other things.
    To be fair to RIM, the 7250 doesn't really give you an accurate impression of what modern Blackberrys are capable of. It had a crappy low res screen, slow data connection, no Wi-fi, GPS, head phone jack, memory card slot and no camera.

The BB Tour which is available on Sprint has the following specs:

Camera: 3.2MP for picture and video capture with flash and variable zoom
    MicroSD/SDHC Memory Card Slot: Supports cards up to 16GB
    Network: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A, 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM
    Internal GPS
    Display: 480x360 pixel display

Its one of the few devices avialable on Sprint which will actually work in Europe.
    I'm with the "you have 30 days to try it group". I love it and think it's fantastic (and I'm a previous BB and WinMo user) but it's not for everyone, no phone is. You need to try it in your daily life to make sure it fits your needs.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well, I went to the store and played with it for about 40 minutes. I liked everything about the cards and the fluency of the apps. I think I can get used to the tiny keyboard in time. A concern is the posts on google calendar since that will be my new syncing calendar. A few posts said that the google calendar syncs repeated dates if you change them.

Two other things I will miss from my iphone is the visual voicemail and the favorites list for quick calling. But they can be overcome by other positive features of the pre. Love the Touchstone, and the size of the phone!

Hopefully, I will be updating you with notice of my purchase in the next few weeks. Going to stop by and run it through some tests of my own a few more times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post

The one thing that I will warn you is that if you don't have a Microsoft Exchange Server to handle your mail, this will be a pain in the backside.

I can get upwards of 50+ e-mails a day from clients, friends and family and it's just not that easy to deal with, without the MES or a G-Mail account.

With the push technology from BB, you didn't need to have an exchange server and the mail just worked.

With the Pre if you use the standard Outlook e-mail program, as soon as you download your mail it comes off of the phone. So there isn't a way to save a message for a few days like you could on the BB.

With all that being said, I still really like the phone and am quite pleased that I go it, I just have to figure out a satisfactory solution to my e-mail problems.

Make the switch you won't be disappointed if you know in advance about your e-mail problems/solutions.
    If your email provider offers an IMAP server (many do nowadays) then your phone and Outlook software will sync. I work for a small business and we're too small to make owning an exchange server wroth it. Our email service uses IMAP, and I can get push email, same email on my PC and phone, and webmail no matter which device downloaded it first.

What your describing is an issue of POP servers. Outlook gives you one option to solve your dilema of emails not being available if outlook downloaded first. In the advanced options of your email account there is an option to leave messages on the server for x amount of days. Turn that on and you're fine.
    Well, I went to the store and played with it for about 40 minutes. I liked everything about the cards and the fluency of the apps. I think I can get used to the tiny keyboard in time. A concern is the posts on google calendar since that will be my new syncing calendar. A few posts said that the google calendar syncs repeated dates if you change them.

Two other things I will miss from my iphone is the visual voicemail and the favorites list for quick calling. But they can be overcome by other positive features of the pre. Love the Touchstone, and the size of the phone!

Hopefully, I will be updating you with notice of my purchase in the next few weeks. Going to stop by and run it through some tests of my own a few more times.
    I haven't had issue with moving appointments on google calendar. Also an app was just released in the official app catalog yesterday that lets you setup favorites and use their photos as speed dials. There is a similar app in homebrew that does the same thing but better too.
    The best fix for visual voicemail is to get a google voice account. This will allow you more flexibility than visual voicemail and give you voicemails transcribed in email or sms. They are about 90%+ correct and enough to often get the gist without listening to them.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast