Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Schulz21
  1.    #1  
    So I go to school and there are places in this building where I don't get service. Shouldn't Wifi kick in and replace your service? I thought it did. If it does can someone help me in figuring out this problem because I have 2 and a half hors of break where I don't want to sit out in my car just to have service. Thanks a lot!
    uidph33r likes this.
    Did you enable wifi?
  3.    #3  
    Yes I enabled Wifi and I have a strong signal. I attempted to send a text message and it wouldn't send. I can surf the internet on my phone while it is enabled but I can't do anything else. Do you know if it's even possible to send or receive messages while only have wifi enabled?
    Nope, texts messages will require access to Sprint's network....unless someone develops an app for the Pre that will allow you to send text messages via wifi.
  5.    #5  
    I think they should because how many times are you without service and need to send out a message. I know I am in the predicament for 12 hours a day. It sucks. I don't know why that would be so hard to do anyway.... It's basically the same thing just on the wifi and not on the network. Plus it's not like Sprint can't manage your messages or whatever you do upon receiving signal again... Am I the only one that feels strongly about this?
    You could alwys get a google voice number and send texts over wifi that way. BTW this is a network issue, nothing Palm can do unless Sprint opens up their network to this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I agree get a google voice account then use one of the google voice apps from the home brew section and you can text all day.

You can even set it up so it shows your cell phone number as the sender i think.

BTW also alot of fun to send phantom text messages to friends from a number they dont recognize with alot of information about them. Had one guy convinced he had a stalker for a while.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Yeah. Sounds like that stalking thing is a lot of "fun".
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    interesting so from google voice to wifi to the net,
    how about voice over wifi?
    seems like an ap for that would be great
    did you apply the roam only hack? I get 5-0 bars at my house and dropped calls all the time since its a brick building. When i forced roam only i can hold a sold 2 bars with VZw without dropping calls. See if that helps any
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Yeah. Sounds like that stalking thing is a lot of "fun".
    Yeah it is! One time I was sending creepy messages to a friend who was in the same car as me. He got his girlfriend involved, and I don't think she likes me anymore...
    While this solution would be a huge pain, you can also go to the website for the carrier you're sending to, and there's usually a send text button on there.

(As an example, for Sprint / Nextel it's on the bottom right of www.sprint.com).

You can also send texts via email.

Quote Originally Posted by Schulz21 View Post
    I think they should because how many times are you without service and need to send out a message. I know I am in the predicament for 12 hours a day. It sucks. I don't know why that would be so hard to do anyway.... It's basically the same thing just on the wifi and not on the network. Plus it's not like Sprint can't manage your messages or whatever you do upon receiving signal again... Am I the only one that feels strongly about this?
    It isn't just sprint, it is everyone. Texts are sent over the voice channel