Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I'll admit that will I know it is possible to Homebrew and ROOT your Pre and do all kinds of fun stuff with it. I have tried to ignore those because it is something that I just don't want to do.

Sure the iPhone had the Jailbreak and you could then do video before there was video and such, but I would guess that the number of root'ed iPhones is very very small given the numbers.

I think Palm/Sprint is approaching a turning point that after a while if the AP store does not catch up with the ANTICIPATED expecatations of its users that people will start leaving.

I know I look at those FULL PAGE iPhone adds in the USA Today and see all the Neat things that you can do with your iPhone and I just tell myself "I hope my Pre will get to that point someday..." I know we are still in the infancy with the phone but the iPhone had the advantage that there was no real competition other than Windows Mobile or Palm-OS.

Let me also add, that my Previous phone was a Treo 700wx (Windows mobile) phone and one of the things that I really got frustrated with was the amount of feeding and watering if you will to take care of the OS and to install new products and such. It just got to be a major hassel to take care of. I used to tell people who were thinking about a Windows mobile phone: "That, it was just like another computer where you had to twiddle with it, manage resources and tinker with to get it to do what you wanted." Then throw in a reboot or two and the constant ...now where did I put that PDF, XLS, DOC file that I was looking for.... and it just became more hassle than it was worth and I consider myself a pretty good computer geek.

I will go read some of the "How to's" on the Homebrew front and see what aps are out there that may interest me.

What feedback I would like to hear is:

1. Are you like me and just don't want to get into the whole Homebrew/Root scene on maintaining your phone?

2. Any feedback on when someone would guess that AP store is going to get ramped up and start releasing some APs that will appeal to people?

Yes, I have some APs on my phone that I use (Yelp, NY Times, etc) but it would sure be nice to have some more.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to see if I'm not alone in this thinking.

ps: Those that enjoy Homebrew/Rooting, If you enjoy that kind of activity that is great and I understand that. I used to enjoy that on my Windows mobile but it just got old after awhile....
    Quote Originally Posted by mantry View Post
    First, I'll admit that will I know it is possible to Homebrew and ROOT your Pre and do all kinds of fun stuff with it. I have tried to ignore those because it is something that I just don't want to do.

Sure the iPhone had the Jailbreak and you could then do video before there was video and such, but I would guess that the number of root'ed iPhones is very very small given the numbers.

I think Palm/Sprint is approaching a turning point that after a while if the AP store does not catch up with the ANTICIPATED expecatations of its users that people will start leaving.

I know I look at those FULL PAGE iPhone adds in the USA Today and see all the Neat things that you can do with your iPhone and I just tell myself "I hope my Pre will get to that point someday..." I know we are still in the infancy with the phone but the iPhone had the advantage that there was no real competition other than Windows Mobile or Palm-OS.

Let me also add, that my Previous phone was a Treo 700wx (Windows mobile) phone and one of the things that I really got frustrated with was the amount of feeding and watering if you will to take care of the OS and to install new products and such. It just got to be a major hassel to take care of. I used to tell people who were thinking about a Windows mobile phone: "That, it was just like another computer where you had to twiddle with it, manage resources and tinker with to get it to do what you wanted." Then throw in a reboot or two and the constant ...now where did I put that PDF, XLS, DOC file that I was looking for.... and it just became more hassle than it was worth and I consider myself a pretty good computer geek.

I will go read some of the "How to's" on the Homebrew front and see what aps are out there that may interest me.

What feedback I would like to hear is:

1. Are you like me and just don't want to get into the whole Homebrew/Root scene on maintaining your phone?

2. Any feedback on when someone would guess that AP store is going to get ramped up and start releasing some APs that will appeal to people?

Yes, I have some APs on my phone that I use (Yelp, NY Times, etc) but it would sure be nice to have some more.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to see if I'm not alone in this thinking.

ps: Those that enjoy Homebrew/Rooting, If you enjoy that kind of activity that is great and I understand that. I used to enjoy that on my Windows mobile but it just got old after awhile....
    Are you kidding? Everyone jailbreaks their iPhones. My dad just got a 3Gs, and he even jailbroke it. Homebrew is so easy, now it might as well be the official app catalog. All you have to do is install Filecoaster, and you can do everything over the air. You really don't need to root your phone anymore.
    The official app store just added 11 new apps today.
    Why wouldn't you want to install homebrew apps? To me homebrew is one of the main the reasons I like this phone so much
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, Just noticed the new aps out there today, but you get the drift, they are just trickling in, hopefully they will pick up stream....
    Quote Originally Posted by mantry View Post
    "That, it was just like another computer where you had to twiddle with it, manage resources and tinker with to get it to do what you wanted."
    That's exactly right. Smart phones ARE computers. Most people get them because they don't like the limited functionality of a regular cell phone. Being able to "twiddle with it" is the whole point.
    No offense intended but I think you might be better off with a dumb phone. Smart phones are for those who like to tinker and tweak. Smart phones are a computer and a pretty powerful one at that.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I agree with the OP in large part. I came from a phone without an app store
    where apps had no approval process, standards etc. Apps came in .CAB and .EXE and .ZIP. After many a custom rom and hard reset and lost data i've decided i had enough of the "custom" or "tinkering" scene and wanted a more structured iphone like experience, so while i won't rule out homebrew, it isn't something i want to bother with.
    Maybe if there is an app i MUST have...then maybe i'll go homebrew

PS Anyone making a formula 1 app??
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    where apps had no approval process, standards etc. Apps came in .CAB and .EXE and .ZIP. After many a custom rom and hard reset and lost data i've decided i had enough of the "custom" or "tinkering" scene and wanted a more structured iphone like experience, so while i won't rule out homebrew, it isn't something i want to bother with.

Homebrew installing is now just like installing official apps, there is no tinkering, theres a catalog, repositories, etc, and things just work.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No offense intended but I think you might be better off with a dumb phone. Smart phones are for those who like to tinker and tweak. Smart phones are a computer and a pretty powerful one at that.
    just because he doesn't want to install untested, unapproved apps doesn't mean smartphones arn't for him. Smartphones are for everyone. that's why apple is making a killing right now.
    just because he doesn't want to install untested, unapproved apps doesn't mean smartphones arn't for him. Smartphones are for everyone. that's why apple is making a killing right now.
    The community tests the apps, thats the beauty of it. Homebrew apps are regularly updated, and updating them is also just as easy as updating official apps. You're also a tester of official apps, they go through updates too.

You had a winmo phone, that was your problem not the "homebrew" scene.

But beta is not for everyone. You either want the apps early and can deal with bugs here and there, or you wait for the official apps to clear the final release process.
    I kinda see this phone (or any phone) like anything else I buy: I buy it, then I find ways to make it "mine" and "unique" without making it gawdy and ghetto.

Not homebrewing it would be like me buying a car and not customizing it... you know you want those nicer wheels, those subs, that turbo, or just that lovely pine tree fresh scent dangler on the rear view mirror. Or like buying a house and not putting furniture in it. It just makes it incomplete. What I don't like is buying a phone and not being able to do ANYTHING to it... you can pick up someone else's and you would not know the difference unless you look at their contacts.

I'll be honest, I have more fun tinkering with the OS than the homebrew apps.

But that is just me... I'm too much of a gadget geek to keep it stock.
    I can totally understand the OP's apprehension at homebrew if he's not a techie--even the slightest chance of bricking your $200 phone is daunting.

However, these forums make homebrew ridiculously easy if you can read and follow instructions (which not everyone can do, as evidenced by some of the moronic posts using IM-speak), even for non-techies and people who don't have the slightest clue how to use Linux (like me). Most of the instructions are well-written; some aren't, but that's usually remedied by some kind soul who translates the crappy writing to proper English.

I would say the odds of screwing up your phone are pretty slim if you can follow instructions and don't go installing homebrew apps as soon as they're released. Personally I won't install anything until I read feedback from others on how the app works and any potential glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I can totally understand the OP's apprehension at homebrew if he's not a techie--even the slightest chance of bricking your $200 phone is daunting.

However, these forums make homebrew ridiculously easy if you can read and follow instructions (which not everyone can do, as evidenced by some of the moronic posts using IM-speak), even for non-techies and people who don't have the slightest clue how to use Linux (like me). Most of the instructions are well-written; some aren't, but that's usually remedied by some kind soul who translates the crappy writing to proper English.

I would say the odds of screwing up your phone are pretty slim if you can follow instructions and don't go installing homebrew apps as soon as they're released. Personally I won't install anything until I read feedback from others on how the app works and any potential glitches.

Regular homebrew apps do not require any linux access or knowledge. A lot of patches/tweaks have even made it into WebOS Quick Install. With the WebOS Doctor it is incredibly difficult to brick your pre, you almost always have a way back to the software it shipped with.

No one should be scared of homebrew on the Pre, but also shouldn't follow any and every linux command-line instruction unless they have somewhat of an idea what they are doing.

But again straight Mojo applications on the homebrew scene do not modify anything in Linux, and can be installed from your PC or with one of the on Pre installers (installed from your PRE with WebOS Quick Install)
    Misery loves company, but you are talking to the wrong crowd.
    ROOTING + HOMEBREW = FUN

just get an iPhone already... you will be in app store heaven for a loooooooooong time!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I think the OP has a valid point, but then the Pre not be the right phone quite yet for the OP. No phone is perfect, so what are you willing to do to get the phone that you want and what are you willing to compromise on? I still want voice & phone recording and a SlingPlayer app, but the Pre's functionality (with homebrew for me) is now up to a level where I want to use it, while I await the remaining bits that I still want. To answer the OP's questions:

1. I do homebrew because I want some of the features and apps badly enough to put up with the extra time and effort it has taken. It's so much easier to homebrew today than it was even one month ago though, so I'd still encourage you to try it.

2. No one knows for sure, but I'd guess it will take at least until the App Store is out of beta and developers can start easily charging for their applications. MotionApps had a strong incentive to get out of the box and to handle their own billing, but I'm not sure anyone else does.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I initially felt like the OP....was very resistent to going the Homebrew App direction. Eventually I caved, not just for the apps, but for the increased functionality of the phone. The extra launch pages, the onscreen keyboard, and a few other Quality of Life tweaks that have made my phone easier to use everyday. I haven't downloaded a lot of apps, simply because unless I have a need i don't see th point. I've got a couple games (meh), the Stopwatch\Timer App, Quick Dialer, demConvert, Filecoaster (of course), TechTray Pre edition, and Preware. As things come out and I have a need for them i will continue to install them.

And getting things up and running took me all of 20 minutes, start to finish, and that was going really slow and careful as I had never done any of this type o stuff before. Could not have been easier and could not be happier with the result. Once you've set your phone up for Filecoaster it really is like having a second App Store.

Sheer volume of Apps does not really mean anything to me (um, coinflip anyone????). Seriously, quality apps for particualr needs are where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    You cannot brick the Pre by using homebrew.

In the absolute worst case, the webOS Doctor can always be used to reset the phone to factory original condition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You sound better off with a regular 'feature phone' and a laptop.

Basically, it comes down like this... the managing, tinkering and maintenance you refer to is the sign of the times with these complicated bleeding edge devices. Get used to it, embrace it or get out of the way (or get an "older" Blackberry Curve 8330).

That said, Homebrewing is not jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is far more difficult to apply. There is some downloading and installing required for the initial set-up, but onece you're past that, it couldn't be easier. Downloading/installing Homebrew with something like the filecoaster is as simple and as easy as using the Palm App Catalog....it's all done on your Pre. No tethering to the computer involved. And deleting is the same as any app...Orange key + Tap..all the same.

BTW...is "App" short for Application, not "AP". I was confused by your use of "AP" until I figured in what context you meant..
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 09/03/2009 at 05:51 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast