Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I too was slow to jump on the homebrew/rooting bandwagon. But once I started, I could have kicked myself for taking so long. My new favorite app is drPodder. I have just about stopped using my iPod altogether because of it.
    I dont get this thread...

The op is saying because his old phones OS had shortcomings and forced him to babysit it, he doesn't want to add homebrew functionality to his new phone for fear it will put him in the same place...

How does that equation even work?

"I'd love to add the tip calculator app but man then I have to go and use it and that's just such a bother?"
    No, he is saying either he doesn't have the time, want to or should have to use "homebrew" but he wishes more apps would come sooner. Whats not to get about that?
    Either way, apps are apps... He has to load the app store to get new apps, hows that any different than loading file coaster?
  5.    #45  
    Folks, thanks to all for the discussion. As I mentioned, I will give the homebrew a look and proceed. To answer some of the directed questions..

1. I didn't go with an iPhone because: "I'm married to SPRINT" :-) Meaning we have 4 phones on a heavily discounted family plan with unlimited TEXT and DATA for an incredible price. I tried and tried to get the numbers for Similar phones on a similar AT&T plan and could not get close. I know there are some that may be in the same situation. Others may be willing to spend whatever it takes to get whatever they want. One other reason that I feel the iPhone may not be the best phone is the onscreen keyboard and I think the multitasking of the Pre is Awesome!

2. Sorry, yes "App" instead of "AP". :-)

3. Someone made a good point that they don't want to be testing Homebrew Apps as they come out. I know some people do enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology and others don't.

4. I guess it is an advantage to us Pre owners that we have the best of both worlds. Keep it origional and only use official Apps or go hog wild and ROOT it to tweek the OS and use Homebrew Apps to get the latest and greatest Apps that are available. Or somewhere in the middle by just using the Homebrew Apps but waiting until they have stabilized somewhat.

Thanks again, good discussion.

One of the things amongst others that have been discussed that I am waiting for in the OS is the ability to CUT from one App and paste into the other. ie: The ability to CUT a phone number from a Spread Sheet and Paste it into the phone App.
    What does it matter? He doesn't want to. He clearly states that. coming from a winmo experience i can see his point.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    What does it matter? He doesn't want to. He clearly states that. coming from a winmo experience i can see his point.
    It really doesn't matter and it's certainly OK that it's his choice...

But logically, because winmo was a crappy OS doesn't mean someone should be "afraid" to try homebrew...

If for instance, installing homebrew meant you had to constantly tip-toe around to ensure you didn't break every little thing and getting homebrew on the phone was some gigantic arduous task then I would wholeheartedly agree that it would fall in line with his previous winmo/crappy os experience of always needing to be one step ahead and so forth

It's because its NOT this way that I enjoy homebrew but have not rooted my pre...

I have NO desire to get in any kind of pissing match here, I just want OP to realize that you can enjoy the homebrew scene without fear of having to make your phone another one of lifes chores

In terms of rooting, I agree with OP and I have no desire to root and patch only to have to remember what and where to restore to hope the next webos update doesn't brick my phone
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    It really doesn't matter and it's certainly OK that it's his choice...

But logically, because winmo was a crappy OS doesn't mean someone should be "afraid" to try homebrew...

If for instance, installing homebrew meant you had to constantly tip-toe around to ensure you didn't break every little thing and getting homebrew on the phone was some gigantic arduous task then I would wholeheartedly agree that it would fall in line with his previous winmo/crappy os experience of always needing to be one step ahead and so forth

It's because its NOT this way that I enjoy homebrew but have not rooted my pre...

I have NO desire to get in any kind of pissing match here, I just want OP to realize that you can enjoy the homebrew scene without fear of having to make your phone another one of lifes chores

In terms of rooting, I agree with OP and I have no desire to root and patch only to have to remember what and where to restore to hope the next webos update doesn't brick my phone
    fair enough and good points. I'll homebrew if there is a app that i must have, until then i'm content with what the app catalog offers(for now)
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    The difference between the iPhone "scene" (jailbreaking, unlocking, homebrew) and the Pre homebrew community is simple, but very significant. Apple openly and actively fights the iPhone scene tooth and nail, going so far as to change the underlying boot mechanisms of newer iPhoneOS models to attempt to thwart jailbreaking. Palm, on the other hand, not only doesn't fight the homebrew scene, they in fact openly support it, going so far as to hand out PuTTY & the instructions to gain Linux access right in it's own SDK.

Homebrew installation on the Pre requires no actual "hacking" or "jailbreaking", instead, it is fully endorsed by Palm as an alternative avenue for app distribution. Even after the App Catalog opens fully for business, I suspect you'll still see many developers offering their apps via these same sideloading methods to avoid the commission Palm charges and any possible regulation Palm may place on App Catalog apps.

So don't be afraid of homebrew! Normal, non-patching apps should not impact your general use of the device, and even if something goes wrong, it's all but impossible for any app to hose your device beyond what the webOS Doctor can repair. Have fun! Experiment! And when Palm opens the App Catalog, you'll likely be able to purchase full, bug-tested versions of the apps you played around with in homebrew. Everybody wins when open communities are celebrated rather than targeted.
    fair enough and good points. I'll homebrew if there is a app that i must have, until then i'm content with what the app catalog offers(for now)
    GolfPinFinder = Must have for me, thus I homebrewed. Then came PreJeweled, QuickContacts, Nutritional Facts and Netflix QuickQueue. Those apps made it worthwhile.

Anyways, this may all be a mute point in two weeks time....the rumored "next stage" in the official App Catalog
    I'm on the same page for the most part... I've really just added a game or two to alleviate boredom

I think the Pre isn't really designed to be an all encompassing experience like the iphone is. It's designed to be a tinkerer's phone. People who want to root it, people who want to homebrew for it; that is the target demographic for Palm's next generation of OS. Once the homebrewers/rooters have had their way with it, the platform will be better off for the next round of Web OS phones.

While palm doesn't encourage the rooting of their phones, they don't appear to discourage it either. Apple throws a ****** fit if some one even thinks about a homebrew iphone app. Apple has done a fantasic job of making apps easy to write for the iphone (if you own a mac) but they still hold a draconian control over what does finally get on the app store. Palm on the other hand has made it easy for any one to do anything they want with the device. It's a fairly cheap way for them to get free R&D out of their users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Are you kidding? Everyone jailbreaks their iPhones. My dad just got a 3Gs, and he even jailbroke it.
    Classic case of exaggeration based on a sample size of 2 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You cannot brick the Pre by using homebrew.

In the absolute worst case, the webOS Doctor can always be used to reset the phone to factory original condition.

-- Rod
    Good to know. (Not being facetious--I actually didn't know that.)

Still, considering how tech-savvy most people are (i.e., not at all), I can see why homebrew would be intimidating. I consider myself very capable with computers and some of the command line tweaks I've seen on this forum are over my head in terms of stuff I'm willing to do to enable additional functionality on my Pre. I'm thankful for all the people who are making these tweaks a more automatic process by creating apps or embedding it into their installers.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    I think the Pre isn't really designed to be an all encompassing experience like the iphone is. It's designed to be a tinkerer's phone. People who want to root it, people who want to homebrew for it; that is the target demographic for Palm's next generation of OS. Once the homebrewers/rooters have had their way with it, the platform will be better off for the next round of Web OS phones.
    That's the target demographic, really? You think that's who they're trying to reach with their Tamara Hope touchy-feely commercials? Or even Sprint's commercials for that matter?

It's nice that Homebrewers have stepped up, but I don't think their efforts or PreCentral's were part of Palm's grand design.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's the target demographic, really? You think that's who they're trying to reach with their Tamara Hope touchy-feely commercials? Or even Sprint's commercials for that matter?

It's nice that Homebrewers have stepped up, but I don't think their efforts or PreCentral's were part of Palm's grand design.
    They have commercials for the pre? I remember something vaugly about some lady dancing in some fields, but i thought that was for some allergy medication.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    If you don't like beta apps, no problem, enjoy your nice stock Pre.

If you don't want to homebrew because you're lazy or afraid, you're missing out.

It seriously takes 5-10 minutes to put FileCoaster on your phone (or Preware or Preload), and then it's just as easy or easier than the App Catalog. There's no "rooting" and you're not going to brick your phone or get into some unrecoverable state.
    Last edited by ahitz; 09/04/2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I left out the other on-device installers
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    If you don't like beta apps, no problem, enjoy your nice stock Pre.

If you don't want to homebrew because you're lazy or afraid, you're missing out.

It seriously takes 5-10 minutes to put FileCoaster on your phone, and then it's just as easy or easier than the App Catalog. There's no "rooting" and you're not going to brick your phone or get into some unrecoverable state.
    nor any maintenance that the OP was referring to afterwards...other than deleting the app if you don't like it..
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123