Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21  
    Genuine question to everyone here:

    If being able and willing to tinker and modify is a requisite for being a smartphone owner these days, then why is the most popular smartphone platform with the most apps (by far) also the simplest, least tinker-friendly, and most restrictive?

    I mean, this sounds like the same thinking that Ballmer and Colligan indulged in before Apple came in and steamrolled the rest of the industry with a rookie product. This attitude of "Well, maybe this product isn't for you..." is fine, except that it isn't if you want Palm to continue to grow a new OS that DESPERATELY needs growth to survive.

    Apple is more than happy to take every customer that the Pre "isn't for". And if they don't, someone else will. Obviously, no one device is for everybody, but I find it absurd that a new device that needs to sell released by a small, debt-ridden, cash-poor company that needs to survive has the luxury of dismissing customers not being right for it.

    You know who's right for the Pre at the moment? ANYBODY willing to give Sprint $200, sign a contract, and pay for an everything plan. That's who.
  2. #22  
    No.

    Just no.
  3. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #23  
    If you don't want to utilize the rather amazing home brew community, then don't. Be patient and wait for September 17th to roll around.
  4. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Genuine question to everyone here:

    If being able and willing to tinker and modify is a requisite for being a smartphone owner these days, then why is the most popular smartphone platform with the most apps (by far) also the simplest, least tinker-friendly, and most restrictive?

    I mean, this sounds like the same thinking that Ballmer and Colligan indulged in before Apple came in and steamrolled the rest of the industry with a rookie product. This attitude of "Well, maybe this product isn't for you..." is fine, except that it isn't if you want Palm to continue to grow a new OS that DESPERATELY needs growth to survive.

    Apple is more than happy to take every customer that the Pre "isn't for". And if they don't, someone else will. Obviously, no one device is for everybody, but I find it absurd that a new device that needs to sell released by a small, debt-ridden, cash-poor company that needs to survive has the luxury of dismissing customers not being right for it.

    You know who's right for the Pre at the moment? ANYBODY willing to give Sprint $200, sign a contract, and pay for an everything plan. That's who.
    May I direct your attention to this wikipedia article: Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Because Palm is obviously against developing an easy to use product!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Genuine question to everyone here:

    If being able and willing to tinker and modify is a requisite for being a smartphone owner these days, then why is the most popular smartphone platform with the most apps (by far) also the simplest, least tinker-friendly, and most restrictive?

    I mean, this sounds like the same thinking that Ballmer and Colligan indulged in before Apple came in and steamrolled the rest of the industry with a rookie product. This attitude of "Well, maybe this product isn't for you..." is fine, except that it isn't if you want Palm to continue to grow a new OS that DESPERATELY needs growth to survive.

    Apple is more than happy to take every customer that the Pre "isn't for". And if they don't, someone else will. Obviously, no one device is for everybody, but I find it absurd that a new device that needs to sell released by a small, debt-ridden, cash-poor company that needs to survive has the luxury of dismissing customers not being right for it.

    You know who's right for the Pre at the moment? ANYBODY willing to give Sprint $200, sign a contract, and pay for an everything plan. That's who.
    Thank you sir for making sense.
    These people are simple minded and single minded. A smartphone is only for tinkerers? lol ....fail
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Genuine question to everyone here:

    If being able and willing to tinker and modify is a requisite for being a smartphone owner these days, then why is the most popular smartphone platform with the most apps (by far) also the simplest, least tinker-friendly, and most restrictive?
    i never heard the expression "jailbroke" until it was referenced re; the iphone. just sayin'. i have a feeling that expression still mainly refers to that phone. must be prevalent for a reason.
  7. #27  
    did you guys know they have the internet on computers now? this is my first laptop with the intrawebz, and even i can install homebrew apps (rooting i'm staying away from for the time being).
  8. #28  
    Some folks are amazing. Pre Central has a great community, but then you have people here who instead of helping others sublimally advertise for Iphone. "This phone isn't for you..blah..blah..blah"... Why do I always run across a forum that has someone pointing fingers? The OP asked if anyone else was feeling "hesistant"? I can say I have some wonderful Homebrew Apps downloaded, but I haven't even begun to root my phone. I'm taking my time before I root my phone...I haven't found the theme I want yet! Plus, I'm not going to just jump at every little thing and change my phone dramatically..Cuz at the end of the day, even if we have these apps..internet..etc..I still need my phone to take calls!!! Lol..plain and simple! There is alot of information provided to help you get started if you wish to go the Homebrew or Root route.. Just ask around..possibly to people who DON'T MIND helping..Oh! and read! read! read!
  9. #29  
    Users do not need to be able to tinker and modify their Pre.

    But, like most similar devices, the ability and willingness to do so expands its capabilities.
  10. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #30  
    The Pre - even bone stock - kicks the crap out of any dumb phone.
  11. #31  
    What's the point of owning a phone and not use it to its full capabilities?

    Download those homebrews already! They are fun! Don't limit yourself!
  12. lamboh's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #32  
    ...i hate ppl like you.
  13. JimHuff's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #33  
    1. Are you like me and just don't want to get into the whole Homebrew/Root scene on maintaining your phone?

    I'm like you and don't want to 'root' and 'patch' and all that stuff simply because I don't have that kind of time.

    I don't think I see Homebrew in that light however. It was a very quick and simple process for me to install fileCoaster and now I have access to over 200 apps. If you look at the Homebrew list, some are utilities, but most are the same kind of apps and games in the App Catalog; just as safe and just as easy to install.

    2. Any feedback on when someone would guess that AP store is going to get ramped up and start releasing some APs that will appeal to people?

    My understanding is there are developers with apps ready to go. The payment and revenue sharing mechanisms and agreements are causing the delay. When this gets worked out, we'll see a flood of apps; many of which are already in the Homebrew catalog.
    FrankenPre2!!!
  14. #34  
    I dont understand what some people in this thread and other parts of the forum are talking about when they say they dont want to root their phones. one of the coolest part of the Palm Pre that separates it from everyone else is the fact that rooting is NOT something you have to do at ALL, its done from the factory by Palm! unlike Android or other similar products with Linux at its core were you are only given normal restricted user access to application and user files that you(the owner/user) can change......you cannot touch system files or generally ANYTHING that will interfere with the phones normal functions. the G1 NEEDS to be rooted in order to have total control over everything and be able to EXTEND the functionality of the system. On the palm Pre all the users need to know how to do is install the driver and follow directions. theirs NO 2 ways about it, you simply CANT root the Pre because palm already has. the only thing your doing in some of the tutorials is log into the console(which is how you install apps on desktop and mobile OS's). If their is a TWEAK that is done to the OS and it hurts the phone, because of the fact that WebOS is Pre-Rooted, and has a WebOS Recovery Tool that can restore from everything short of resoldering chips, their is nothing unsafe about installing Homebrew applications.

    If you dont like to install third party apps just because you dont know how to install simple software and a driver on the PC then you are missing out on alot MORE functionality that you can get.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    May I direct your attention to this wikipedia article: Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    May I direct your attention to the following from this thread:

    Smart phones ARE computers. Most people get them because they don't like the limited functionality of a regular cell phone. Being able to "twiddle with it" is the whole point.
    Smart phones are for those who like to tinker and tweak.
    the managing, tinkering and maintenance you refer to is the sign of the times with these complicated bleeding edge devices.
    Those are three different posters, BTW. There's no straw man. There's a persistent and real "Well, if you aren't willing to tweak and homebrew, the Pre isn't for you..." attitude I see here and elsewhere. It's self-defeating to me.
  16. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #36  
    Thought I'd jump in while I'm waiting for my pre to switch dates on the calendar

    Suggesting that a smartphone is not for someone who doesn't like tinkering is going a little overboard.

    I've used a smartphone for aprx 2yrs (motorola q) and I went through an initial stage of tinkering (custom home screens, tweaking performance, etc....) Now I'm at the point where I just want the smartphone to work, and any app I add I expect to work.

    Nothing against homebrew apps, but I'm past the point of testing and prefer a finished product.

    I believe tinkering, tweaks, rooting, etc.... is really for the die hards (geeks)

    opps, my pre finally switched dates, see ya!
  17. #37  
    If you wanted lots of apps right now why didn't you get and iphone?
  18. #38  
    you should get an iphone....the iphone is better for your needs...
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Users do not need to be able to tinker and modify their Pre.

    But, like most similar devices, the ability and willingness to do so expands its capabilities.
    I agree here and perhaps I should have been a bit more in-depth of my previous comment.

    There's nothing wrong with the Pre in it's current form. In time it will get better as it matures along with the App Catalog (as early as this month). Keep this in perspective as the iPhone took 3 generations and 3 years to get where it is today. I'm not saying that the Pre will take this long because it can't. Apple's iPhone was a game-changer and the level/speed to entry has way stepped-up and Palm is aware of this.

    However, if you do install homebrew apps, the option is there, it's easy and isn't frowned upon by Palm. It expands the Pre's current offerings. In short time, homebrew will be a thing of the past when the App Cat goes full-speed-ahead for the scope of users such as the OP.

    Rooting expands its capabilities, probably more so than the OP needs. Same goes for the iPhone in jailbraking. It allows the iPhone capabilities to those who may desire, not those capabilities that Steve Jobs says you should want.
  20. #40  
    It's simple. A smartphone is one with features and the ability to install 3rd party apps to acquire new features or replace/modify existing ones. Being able to root, jailbreak, patch, or all that isn't something a majority fools with especially the majority nontechies or "fat middle" who are the main targets.

    I would say apple's slow path of adding major features was by design..with some minor updates in between. They are all about having one big event each year showing off adding "hundreds" of updates. It's marketing driven not what's best for the customer although they go hand in hand sometimes. But everything they do is designed with a priority of making sales or profit. Some would say that's greedy, but i would say that's the american way.

    Palm doesn't have the luxury of being that patient. They need fat middle updates like video recording (and not by next June) and try to make it easier for those users to adopt the Pre especially with the competition coming soon to Sprint. But most of all they need to sell the Pre. Palm's method of doing that is as many carriers as possible. That takes a lot of time & cash up front. Profits aren't immediate. OS updates aren't the focus but they know they need the app store going which is rumored to begin soon.

    Still its important to remember that this isn't a contest. Palm doesn't have to sell more than apple or even get near it. Palm doesn't have to outsell Android. Or RIM. Palm does have to sell enough to make a profit and generate some marketshare. And can they do it trying to build a new OS with app store while trying to hit lots of carriers.

    There's even a new device they decided they had to have called the skimped down EOS. IMO, its a mistake to even devote the resources towards it given their other needs. Especially one that targets basically the same audience as the Pre? A 16gb Pre will drive down the 8gb Pre to that price point anyways.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions