Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Pre does have some issues that need to be worked out. I think that the problem is that Sprint isn't working on it as a team. They are just about getting their subscriber #'s up instead of working with Palm to get the "flagship" phone. In the end it doesnt work because they just **** people off who leave for a different phone and a different network. Kinda frosts my *** when I just bought this phone and it was just like their baby two months ago and now because the sales figures aren't like off the charts they want to dump a new phone on.... I mean its starting to seem like putting boxes of band aids on a broken leg and expecting it to heal... probably wont work. Need something solid like a cast. Sprint needs to pull their head out of their ***. That said, I am still quite happy with my Pre.

And if anyone cares, you can get the Pre for 10 bucks cheaper then that still at letstalk.com 169.99 on a two year with no mail in rebate and free overnight shipping.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Some of the earlier posts on this board mention Palm and Sprint working hand in hand on support, escalation second level issues to Palm directly, as well as having Palm on site with Sprint CSRs for first level support. While I won't disagree and say that Sprint isn't pushing the envelope, you need to recognize that there is a divide between Sprint and Palm and who controls what, especially now that the Pre is on Bell as well. Realistically they should be focusing on both, because a big company should have enough resources to do both. Let marketing get subscribers and let the techies fix the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidminor03 View Post
    The Pre does have some issues that need to be worked out. I think that the problem is that Sprint isn't working on it as a team. They are just about getting their subscriber #'s up instead of working with Palm to get the "flagship" phone. In the end it doesnt work because they just **** people off who leave for a different phone and a different network. Kinda frosts my *** when I just bought this phone and it was just like their baby two months ago and now because the sales figures aren't like off the charts they want to dump a new phone on.... I mean its starting to seem like putting boxes of band aids on a broken leg and expecting it to heal... probably wont work. Need something solid like a cast. Sprint needs to pull their head out of their ***. That said, I am still quite happy with my Pre.

And if anyone cares, you can get the Pre for 10 bucks cheaper then that still at letstalk.com 169.99 on a two year with no mail in rebate and free overnight shipping.
    As soon as i heard 6 months, i knew it couldn't be a flagship phone. C'mon, a day before launch, verizon announced it coming to them in Jan. So yeah, the 6 month thing sucked for both IMO and is Sprint's fault with noone to blame but sprint. But given that, i think Sprint poured enough into the Pre..probably more than a 6 month exclusive deserves.

That all said though, how do you think this affects your Pre experience right now? You're complaining but yet happy with your Pre..
    Is the OP suggesting that it would be in Sprint's best interest to ignore hotter, differently-spec'd handsets in order to put all of their eggs in the Pre basket?

That's madness. Sprint made much better commercials and print ads for the Pre than Palm ever did. They did their best. Now it's up to Palm to take the ball and run.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I agree. I like having hte choice of the Hero. Sprint did themselves a favor by being the only carrier to support two smartphone platforms(4 if you count BB and WinMo). Choice is a good thing.

If the Hero kills the Pre it will be because Palm ****ed up the Pre, not because of anything Sprint did.

I still haven't purchased my Pre, although I think I still prefer it to the Hero. As someone else said, I think I will wait until the Hero is within the 30 day return window.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Is the OP suggesting that it would be in Sprint's best interest to ignore hotter, differently-spec'd handsets in order to put all of their eggs in the Pre basket?

That's madness. Sprint made much better commercials and print ads for the Pre than Palm ever did. They did their best. Now it's up to Palm to take the ball and run.
    First - Dude!!! We agree on something. Amazing what a night's rest will do for you!

It's not Sprint's job to make Palm a success. It's Palm's job to make the Pre a success, and Sprint's job to sell them. They've done a pretty good job of that (in my opinion). I personally never expected Sprint to focus solely on the Pre, and frankly am glad they are bringing in additional phones. The more customers they get, the cheaper my rates with them will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    First - Dude!!! We agree on something. Amazing what a night's rest will do for you!

It's not Sprint's job to make Palm a success. It's Palm's job to make the Pre a success, and Sprint's job to sell them. They've done a pretty good job of that (in my opinion). I personally never expected Sprint to focus solely on the Pre, and frankly am glad they are bringing in additional phones. The more customers they get, the cheaper my rates with them will be.
    You'll even get me agreeing on this one. If Palm doesn't sell any product that's their own fault. In this reguard Sprint is a retailer and has other products to sell as well.
  8.    #8  
    I understand with what everyone is saying and completely agree that it is palms fault in a large part. But at the same time, I feel that sprint could really focus their attention on getting us a phone that actually lives up to the hype. Perhaps I am just angry at palm for launching a new platform and not actually working as hard at fixing things as they could. I realize and have been a huge promoter of the fact that it is a new platform and that time will cure alot of it, but after two months I think that they could have had a release to correct some of the missing features, IE txt forwarding and ringtones. There shouldnt need to still be a hack program to make it happen it should just be integrated. I guess I blame it on both of them... sprint for moving on so fast and palm for not moving forward fast enough.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    I think Sprint did what they needed to do with this phone. The rest is in Palm's court. Honestly though for me this phone has met my every expectation. Way better and more reliable than anything winmo, or anything Samsung, I've had.
    Are you trying to argue that Palm hasn't been producing updates to address shortcomings and bugs?

Hmmm... I must have drempt up the reseases of 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4 and 1.1 -- all in less than 3 months.

Fixes in performance, battery life issues, Outlook security, photos app, the camera comes up faster, new NFL app, emoticons in Messaging, numerous bug fixes, and everything I've missed...

Is it really the case that Palm is ignoring the Pre and its customers. You'll be hard pressed to get me to agree with your argument.

As for Sprint, they're just the middle guy. The product is Palm's.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidminor03 View Post
    I guess I blame it on both of them... sprint for moving on so fast and palm for not moving forward fast enough.
    If Verizon were to have been the one announcing they were coming out with the Pre first, on a 6 month exclusive, the complaint would have been that Sprint should have moved quicker to sign the deal first. Sounds like a no-win situation, IMO.

Other then slapping some stock applications in there (navigation, nascar, nfl, etc..), seems that Sprint allowed Palm to release the UI as they desired. The lack of functionality, features, etc.. really has to lie on Palm. When working on a target, set in stone, you have to lock down features eventually. It is the lesser of two evils: lack of features, or features that have issues? I think there is a lot that Palm needs to push out the door to make things better, but I have to be somewhat of a realist in that it may take some time. It took till the Cupcake release, on Andriod, before the camera, on the G1, was even usable (opinion, of course, but it was horrid), for example. I would definitely like to see sooner releases of updates, even if it just updates a few missing features, fixes a few bugs, but Palm seems to follow the lead of a most development shops in releasing larger updates versus more periodic updates.

Only time will tell, but it is definitely in Sprint's best interest to continue to release bigger and better phones. Android has been a long time coming, whether you like the platform or not, and definitely provides them some leverage that is sorely needed.

Even I agree with you on this one. I would like every smartphone OS to be available on every carrier. The customer should be free to chose the carrier and phone which works best for them. They shouldn't have to switch to AT&T for the iPhone or T-Mobile for Android or Sprint for the Pre.
    Whoa, to the OP, you got the haters and the lovers to agree for once!! Congrats. It feels like Christmas in this thread!

As for your point, OP, I think you're 100% wrong to blame Sprint here. They made the Pre their focus for more than 6 months. Their commercials were good, they sold everything that Palm gave them. I don't think there is anything more that Sprint could've done.

Palm's product wasn't as polished as it probably should've been, but I still think they're in a decent position going forward. The Pre being available to more people is a good thing, for Pre users and for Palm.

Sprint getting the Hero is good for Sprint and Sprint users because it gives Sprint another exclusive and gives Sprint users another option. Options are always great for consumers.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Palm's Phone... Sprint's Service

Sprint has provided their side of the coin. They provide Pre owners with service, free add ons (Navigation, NFL, Nascar) Palm should have protected Sprint from these early announcements from both AT&T and Verizon, which put a crimp in the launch, not to mention the fact that there was no inventory to launch with.

Palm early on was getting upgrades out but that has not continued. There are some major fixes (that are easily done) that really need their attention... yesterday. The Palm sponsored Advertising was just REALLY strange and did not really inform about the phone itself, Sprint did more on that line than Palm.

Palm are you working on Pre fixes? Or have you moved on to other things?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    As long as Hesse leads Sprint, Sprint will continue to decline.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Even I agree with you on this one. I would like every smartphone OS to be available on every carrier. The customer should be free to chose the carrier and phone which works best for them. They shouldn't have to switch to AT&T for the iPhone or T-Mobile for Android or Sprint for the Pre.
    Dang, we were so close to agreeing completely...

I'm a big believer in the free market. If Apple and ATT's arrangement suits the companies, more power to them. The consumers will "let them know" whether or not it's a good idea by voting with their $$'s. Of course, they (currently) seem to have reached a fine balance between being good enough at what they're doing to keep enough customers, and exclusive enough to keep the business sides happy. Not what I'd like to see, but it's their companies.

Fortunately, for us (... well, not you, since you don't have a Pre, but the "other us"), Palm was "desperate" enough for a carrier, and Sprint was "desperate" enough for a hot new high-end phone, they worked out an agreement. That gave Palm several months to concentrate on making it work for one vendor, and allowed the two companies to share (to some degree) advertising and hype space.

Now it appears that will come to an end. I'm sure both companies knew that was coming, and are prepared for it. I'm grateful for all "pluses" involved. My carrier will have more customers to help keep costs down, and my phone mfg will have more carriers thus more customers.
    I'm a big believer in the free market. If Apple and ATT's arrangement suits the companies, more power to them. The consumers will "let them know" whether or not it's a good idea by voting with their $$'s. Of course, they (currently) seem to have reached a fine balance between being good enough at what they're doing to keep enough customers, and exclusive enough to keep the business sides happy. Not what I'd like to see, but it's their companies.
    I guess it comes down to how you define a free market. These kind of deals are certainly anti-consumer and while they probably don't rise to the level of anti-trust violations, they don't quite smell right to me.

It should also be pointed out that the cell phone carriers license a public resource and as such are subject to a higher standard of regulation than a company that does not.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 09/03/2009 at 07:01 PM.
    You want a "level" playing field? I frankly do not see this as anti-consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I guess it comes down to how you define a free market. These kind of deal are certainly anti-consumer and while they probably don't rise to the level of anti-trust violations, they don't quite smell right to me.

It should also be pointed out that the cell phone carriers license a public resource and as such are subject to a higher standard of regulation than a company that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You want a "level" playing field? I frankly do not see this as anti-consumer.
    Of course its anti-consumer, its reducing choice. Very little the carriers do is pro-consumer.

I want to buy any phone and use it on any network.
    The problems that the Pre has have nothing to do with Sprint. Sprint can't code software updates, Sprint can't do bug fixes, and Sprint can't fix hardware issues. If you aimed your complaints at Palm, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but Sprint sells a service and retails the device.

Do you expect Best Buy to fix bugs in MS Windows when they sell you a PC?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast