1.    #1  
    This isn't necessarily a complaint as much as it is a sanity check. Does anyone else see inconsistent behavior from the screen rotation feature?

I realize that it does not work with all apps, but with just the web browser it doesn't always rotate when I rotate the phone. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Occasionally the entire web browser will start upside down and I have to go through the rotation motion multiple times to get it to rotate out of that mode.

If this is just a Pre Bug then no big deal, but I just got my Pre a few days ago and I wanted to know if I should take it back or not.

It's only a minor annoyance, but I'd hate to keep a phone with a broken accelerometer.

I've noticed a lot of the times my web browser opens up in landscape when I'm actually holding it upright. Annoys me too.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Yes, sometimes it's off. However, first, make sure you have the latest OS.

If it's totally wacky, it's possible you have a hardware problem. Try this:

Run the "Device Info" application. Scroll to the bottom and pick "More Info." Go the menu and pick "Interactive Tests..." Tap on "Screen." Then, run through the tests (you can skip the ones up to "Rotation" if you want).

If the rotation test works, it's not a hardware problem.

Basically, the web app tries to be too smart, second guessing rotation sensor information. As you've seen, it doesn't always get it right.
    Lykoan,

There are a lot of programs that the accelerometer doesn't work on. (Email, music, etc) your Pre doesn't sound broken to me. Also, as stated i think the web browser stays the way it was last oriented (and may have oriented it self in your pocket or whatever) and starts up that way. A little annoying, but not that bad in my opinion.

nb
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback. It passed the diagnostics correctly and based on another thread I read, I have run my own tests making sure to keep the phone perpendicular to the ground. When doing this, it seems to rotate every time.

False alarm on my part looks like.

You guys are right that the web browser specifically seems to have a mind of its own, but once I realized that it was about how I was orienting the phone I'm able to get it to right itself rather easily.
    Does anyone have to shake their pre to get it to go back to portrait view? My accelerometer doesn't seem to be sensitive enough. It goes to landscape easily, however usually needs a good shake to bring it back to portrait view from landscape view.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Does anyone have to shake their pre to get it to go back to portrait view? My accelerometer doesn't seem to be sensitive enough. It goes to landscape easily, however usually needs a good shake to bring it back to portrait view from landscape view.
    Yes, but it may not be the hardware. It's more likely a software issue.

I've verified this on my device by using few of the homebrew apps (ToppleBall is the most fun). Try that and you may find that it's plenty sensitive.

The thing is that the browser (and some other homebrew apps) set the sensitivity low such that you won't have crazy switching from minor bumps or slightly odd angles.
    I have also noticed that the accelerometer data is backseat to other processes running in webos, so if I am loading a data intensive website or if I am receiving an email, the accelerometer data lags. Another time I notice this lag is when I intially switch the pre back from standby where it has been inverted, it takes a few extra seconds to realize that it has since been placed upright. And as stated by squeff, the accelerometer data has been scaled back for the browser so it is going to lag a bit by nature.