Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I truly like this phone, but that's not to say I don't have issues with it, but I'm convinced that people smarter than myself will write apps that deal with the things I don't care for and perhaps I'll even get to the point were the whole "synergy" thing matters to me... although the whole process of getting my contacts out of Outlook into the Pre seems like such a kludge.

I moved to the Pre from a Blackjack - so the keyboard size, shape and feel works very well for me. What I'm whining about is the brilliant idea to make the keys so damn shiny that with any overhead lighting reading the keys is incredibly difficult to read.

Another example of industrial designers making a thing "beautiful" but not functional - at least for me...

Phat
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phatbrain View Post
    I truly like this phone, but that's not to say I don't have issues with it, but I'm convinced that people smarter than myself will write apps that deal with the things I don't care for and perhaps I'll even get to the point were the whole "synergy" thing matters to me... although the whole process of getting my contacts out of Outlook into the Pre seems like such a kludge.

I moved to the Pre from a Blackjack - so the keyboard size, shape and feel works very well for me. What I'm whining about is the brilliant idea to make the keys so damn shiny that with any overhead lighting reading the keys is incredibly difficult to read.

Another example of industrial designers making a thing "beautiful" but not functional - at least for me...

Phat
    No idea what you are talking about. I can read mine just fine even in direct sun. Maybe you need glasses.
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I've heard complaints, but I've never heard this one!

Also, what?!
    Are you saying that when your eyes are glossy, you can't read the keyboard. I've been there. It's hard to drink and dial.
  5.    #5  
    too funny Prepopscience - been there too. And yes, iclimb513 I do need glasses.

Yes, I can find angles where the reading is quite easy, but if you do a little bit of searching you'll find others that have the same issue. I handed my phone to a friend today and it was one of his (without my prompting) first comments.

Might be because of the business we're in - building prototypes of all sorts, that we quickly notice dumb design decisions.

but it does make it pretty...
    gee wiz man , everyone want thier cake ,and too eat it too . cant someone start a thread that is a positive for the pre ,just maybe once in a while .
    Well I was pretty disappointed when Palm decided to take the Centro keyboard rather than their highly rated and very awesome Treo 800w keyboard.....

But I've never had this issue. That's crazy! I type in the sunlight and often can't see the screen but can see the keys fine.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I can't see my keys cause my giant thumbs are in the way.
    I had to pull my phone out again to see what you were referring to and nope, no problem. For me it pretty much looks like my Treo Pro keyboard.
  10. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phatbrain View Post
    Might be because of the business we're in - building prototypes of all sorts, that we quickly notice dumb design decisions.

but it does make it pretty...
    Dumb? If the prettiness sells more in the stores than the few people who don't buy it because they realize the shiny keys might not be viewable at certain angles under bright lights, then how is it dumb?

xtn
    Yea I think if you learn where the keys are you barely have to look at them after so long.. so study them while you can haha.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    So we've moved on now to complaining about the glossiness of the keys have we.....
    My Pre has a weird flowery odor about it that attracts bees and once I got stung. I appreciate the "summer fragrance" palm but, seriously, next time think that one through.
    My Pre doesn't have hardware buttons for menu and back...my pre fails, and what's with the display?! It's so damn crisp it hurts my eyes!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Oh its turning into one of these, ok..

My pre failed to make me breakfast...AGAIN!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    The key layout is just like the treo - and coming from a trea, I barely even look at the keys to type anymore.... so this is a moot point for me
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I have no issues with the keyboard. I was surprised after using it for a while. I was expecting to have some issues as I have a BB Curve as well and honestly I'm very happy with the Pre keyboard. I actually like the feel of the keys.
    Who looks at the keys?
    All whining aside, I've experienced the same thing as the OP on many occasions.

If I have neon lights overhead (think office or subway) shining from multiple angles, it creates a glare that makes the keys hard to read. It's not a problem for the main letters/digits on the keys, but it can make it very difficult to see the upper right symbol accessed by the orange key.

This does not happen in all kinds of light, obviously. But less gloss would have been better.
    Quote Originally Posted by v0rt View Post
    All whining aside, I've experienced the same thing as the OP on many occasions.

If I have neon lights overhead (think office or subway) shining from multiple angles, it creates a glare that makes the keys hard to read. It's not a problem for the main letters/digits on the keys, but it can make it very difficult to see the upper right symbol accessed by the orange key.

This does not happen in all kinds of light, obviously. But less gloss would have been better.
    Agreed--it only keeps me from seeing the letters on the keys when there are big fluorescent (not neon) lights overhead. Incandescents, coming from more discrete angles, don't do it because the curve of the key ensures that the reflection will be limited.

But even in my office, with a big fluorescent light right over my head, I can easily deal with it. With full reflection, I can still see what's there. Putting my head between the keyboard and the light (a not terribly inconvenient position for my head in relation to the keyboard) eliminates the reflection altogether.

Hardly worthy of a "WTF."
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast