Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It just hit me today that the Pre is noticeably less stable than my Centro was, and maybe even the Treo 650 running the old Palm OS.

Sure, it does a lot more, and it usually works. But it crashes very often, I almost forget it's running Linux.

How did Palm end up with an OS as crash prone as the worst releases of the old Palm OS?

My guess is the window manager and apps all running in the same process. That would explain running out of memory and little JavaScript problems bringing down the entire device.

Other ideas? Disagreements?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I honestly can't remember the last time my Pre simply *crashed*. Every once in a while ( and I'm talking sporadically) I'll need to reboot because of a memory issue.

Have you modified your device with patches or any other thing of that sort?

Can you give me more of an idea of frequency?
    Yeah, I don't think I've had more than one "crash" since launch day. Sure, I'll get the occasional "too many cards" memory error, but a restart clears those.

Running 1.1, with a bunch of homebrew and a few patches happening.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I honestly can't remember the last time my Pre simply *crashed*. Every once in a while ( and I'm talking sporadically) I'll need to reboot because of a memory issue.

Have you modified your device with patches or any other thing of that sort?
    I only have one patch, the Amazon EvDO download. I like my system stock, no homebrew or much else.

I just use it a lot. Most often a tap or dragging the screen will freeze the UI and then reboot the device.

Other examples just from this week:

It got stuck in USB mode because Windows didn't recognize it. Had to reset it.

This morning I woke up and it was stuck in Touchstone mode and did not ring the alarm. Had to reset it.

I was sitting with the Pre on my desk, it wasn't doing anything in particular. Then I noticed it reset itself.

It either needs a reset or resets on its own a few times a week for various unrelated reasons. My Centro was rock solid in comparison.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm thinking that you may have a bunk device or a bunk install of the OS, because I think what you're experiencing is atypical.

One suggestion I have would be to run the webOS doctor, in effect reinstalling the OS.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Double-post, as PreCentral.net seems to be experiencing issues.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I havn't had one single crash in 2 months. Most number of cards I ever have open is 6. Might get a little slow for a bit until I'm done with everything, but have never had a full on crash.
    I think in the last 2 weeks I have only had to restart my Pre once because of the 'too many cards open' issue but that's it. I use multiple apps including homebrews and haven't experienced anything like a crash. If your phone is resetting itself or just turning off, try wedging the battery with a piece of paper to see if it's just loose. You're problem is certainly not the norm.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    If you think the 650 and the centro were the worst releases, you never had a 700 or 755!

I'm running all kinds of homebrew and have installed a whole bunch of tweaks and haven't had my phone "crash" more than a couple of times. And those times were bad installs of some tweaks that were easily remedied.

You should try going to the Dr. to see if that corrects your issues.
    I've only had the pres I've owned (6) reboot on its own in total 3 times. 2 of them today. And I think I have it isolated to My Tether. If anyone wants to test my theory, open a wifi tether and then throw the card off screen with the network active. Does that reboot it?

Oh yeah, OP it's either the battery or the OS install...Not sure which one, but your results are not normal. While I use my device a good deal, multiple touching and frequent press have not resulted in reboots...just SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW Downs...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    NONE for me.
    I've had the opposite experience. My Centro was more stable than my 650, and my Pre has been as stable as the Centro or better. I've had 1 spontaneous reset: used ##786# to show the phone properties, and then accidentally left that screen open and forgot about it. After a few minutes, I noticed that the Pre reset. Maybe that's normal behavior? Other than that, I've had no stability issues whatsoever.