Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    get it replaced sounds like the end result .hope it works out for ya!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I'm thinking that you may have a bunk device or a bunk install of the OS, because I think what you're experiencing is atypical.

One suggestion I have would be to run the [URL=" doctor[/URL], in effect reinstalling the OS.
    Ahh. Saved me the trouble of saying this in yet ANOTHER thread.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3.    #23  
    Already had to reset it today. The browser stopped loading pages after I navigated back multiple times too quickly. Also reloading a page usually ends with half a page blank.

I've done webOS Doctor once when the Pre started losing all application cookies. It sucked having to restore everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Already had to reset it today. The browser stopped loading pages after I navigated back multiple times too quickly. Also reloading a page usually ends with half a page blank.

I've done webOS Doctor once when the Pre started losing all application cookies. It sucked having to restore everything.
    Have you returned it?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Have you returned it?
    I don't think there's anything defective about it, I just use it more than most and I notice every little problem because I work in the field. I report bugs to Palm almost daily. Right now the Pre and webOS are extremely buggy.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Checking the score:

My Pre Rarely/Never Crashes - 16
    My Pre Always Crashes - 1

And the conclusion you've drawn:

I don't think there's anything defective about it... Right now the Pre and webOS are extremely buggy.

What, exactly, does a "crash" look like on the Pre anyway? Are you talking about locking up such that you have to pull the battery? A restart? What?
    I only have one patch, the Amazon EvDO download. I like my system stock, no homebrew or much else.

I just use it a lot. Most often a tap or dragging the screen will freeze the UI and then reboot the device.

Other examples just from this week:

It got stuck in USB mode because Windows didn't recognize it. Had to reset it.

This morning I woke up and it was stuck in Touchstone mode and did not ring the alarm. Had to reset it.

I was sitting with the Pre on my desk, it wasn't doing anything in particular. Then I noticed it reset itself.

It either needs a reset or resets on its own a few times a week for various unrelated reasons. My Centro was rock solid in comparison.
    no crashes for me....so id recommend the doctor...

by the way i got 111 homebrews including some from the app catalog
    I haven't had it reboot itself once, and I have like 35 apps installed both though homebrew, app store, and a few tweaks through quick install..Definitely has to be a singular problem with that specific Pre..
    I don't think there's anything defective about it, I just use it more than most and I notice every little problem because I work in the field. I report bugs to Palm almost daily. Right now the Pre and webOS are extremely buggy.
    I think you're judging this all wrong and you're kinda asking for what you're getting. Good luck, anyway. I don't want to turn this into a pile-on, so I'll unsubscribe.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Checking the score:

My Pre Rarely/Never Crashes - 16
    My Pre Always Crashes - 1

And the conclusion you've drawn:

What, exactly, does a "crash" look like on the Pre anyway? Are you talking about locking up such that you have to pull the battery? A restart? What?
    Usually the UI freezes and I already know what's coming. Then it resets itself. Sometimes the screen will actually fade to black as it restarts, which is very strange.

The easiest crash to reproduce is by launching the Music app and tapping Genres. That screen starts loading a bunch of representative artworks for each genre which really bogs the Pre down. If you try to also scroll at the same time you're asking for it.

I'd say that most of these crashes come when I use the UI too quickly and the Pre is overwhelmed.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I think you're judging this all wrong and you're kinda asking for what you're getting. Good luck, anyway. I don't want to turn this into a pile-on, so I'll unsubscribe.
    What am I judging wrong? It's crashing, no two ways about it.

I welcome other opinions. Lets talk about running out of memory for apps and having to reset. How do you explain this now that Palm is using Linux?
    I only have one patch, the Amazon EvDO download. I like my system stock, no homebrew or much else.

I just use it a lot. Most often a tap or dragging the screen will freeze the UI and then reboot the device.

Other examples just from this week:

It got stuck in USB mode because Windows didn't recognize it. Had to reset it.

This morning I woke up and it was stuck in Touchstone mode and did not ring the alarm. Had to reset it.

I was sitting with the Pre on my desk, it wasn't doing anything in particular. Then I noticed it reset itself.

It either needs a reset or resets on its own a few times a week for various unrelated reasons. My Centro was rock solid in comparison.
    I havent had any of those issues. I've bought my pre on the 27th in Canada and so far no crashes yet. Maybe you have a defective one?
    You probably had bad hardware to have the system crash so much. My centro crashed a few times a day. Most likely because of Chatteremail. However it was what I expected cause I couldn't live without chatteremail. My Pre has crashed only 3 or 4 times since the 3 weeks I've had it. I'm sure it was because I loaded all of the applications on it, plus rooting the device. So even with all of the testing I am doing with it, it seems really stable so far.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    What am I judging wrong? It's crashing, no two ways about it.

I welcome other opinions. Lets talk about running out of memory for apps and having to reset. How do you explain this now that Palm is using Linux?
    And to nicely wrap this thread up:

What you're experiencing is atypical. Really. And it isn't crashing because you're some uber user who beguiles the Pre with your app switching prowess. Something is amiss that can't be remedied by repeat reinstalls of the OS.

Get. The. Phone. Replaced.

This thread has now reached it's logical conclusion.

Thank you.
    I have never had a crash, I reset every so often, but that might be a holdover habit from WinMo. Had to reset every 4 hours or my phone would start lobbing spit balls at me.

nb
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    And to nicely wrap this thread up:

What you're experiencing is atypical. Really. And it isn't crashing because you're some uber user who beguiles the Pre with your app switching prowess. Something is amiss that can't be remedied by repeat reinstalls of the OS.

Get. The. Phone. Replaced.

This thread has now reached it's logical conclusion.

Thank you.
    I don't know about replacing. I'm on my 5th Pre and don't want to take chances with another.

Just what am I going to tell Palm, that it's crashing but forum members disagree? All of these look like software issues.

I report bugs to Palm regularly and they get accepted. I do think I'm catching problems that most users don't.
    The easiest crash to reproduce is by launching the Music app and tapping Genres. That screen starts loading a bunch of representative artworks for each genre which really bogs the Pre down. If you try to also scroll at the same time you're asking for it.
    Just tried it, no problem whatsoever.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    It just hit me today that the Pre is noticeably less stable than my Centro was, and maybe even the Treo 650 running the old Palm OS.

Sure, it does a lot more, and it usually works. But it crashes very often, I almost forget it's running Linux.

How did Palm end up with an OS as crash prone as the worst releases of the old Palm OS?

My guess is the window manager and apps all running in the same process. That would explain running out of memory and little JavaScript problems bringing down the entire device.

Other ideas? Disagreements?
    Yours is broken. Mine never crashes and I have 20 homebrews on it. I've never seen ONE "stock" Pre crash. Not ONE.

bj
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Just tried it, no problem whatsoever.
    I do it daily. If you did, you'd see it too.
    oh well, you can lead a horse to water...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast