Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I was listening to today's show and they ran a story about a prediction that stand alone portable GPS navigation units will be extinct by 2014 as all phones will have GPS built in by then and we'll all be using our smart phones for portable navigation instead.

    Personally, I find this plausible, having recently started taking advantage of the Sprint Navigation features on the Pre. I have a Garmin NUVI 650 that I bought several years ago that served reasonably well. But, no traffic updates, and map updates are $70/year.

    Compared to that, the PRE has maps as current as can be, can let me send an address to my wife's PRE for her to navigate with, and, of course, has a real keyboard for data entry.

    But, Molly was ranting about the state of phone based navigation and had a lot of complaints, particularly about things like losing your navigation if a phone call comes in. Now, as I recall, navigation on the Pre will suspend if a call comes in, but automatically resume when the call ends. Ain't multitasking grand?

    How does this compare to iPhone? Do we have any Buzztown members who know more about GPS Navigation on Pre vs. other phones than can call in and give them a "well actually...." defense of the Pre's capabilities?
  2. #2  
    I've never owned a phone that didn't continue to work during a phone call. Even the iPhone, with basically no multitasking, will suspend TomTom and resume after a phone call.
  3. #3  
    Cell phone GPS replacing Portable GPS ... defiantly plausible.

    However, I'll use my in-dash Garmin GPS over the Pre any-day.

    Edit I guess I should say why:
    1) Larger display
    2) Leaves my phone to be used for other activities
    3) I have detoured routes saved (where as I don't in my phone)
    4) I have tons of saved locations in my Garmin...
    4a) Not only places to visit but also red light cameras and alike
    4b) The GUI for my Garmin is much easier to use while on the road.

    Oh I could probably go on and on...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Cell phone GPS replacing Portable GPS ... defiantly plausible.

    However, I'll use my in-dash Garmin GPS over the Pre any-day.

    Edit I guess I should say why:
    1) Larger display
    2) Leaves my phone to be used for other activities
    3) I have detoured routes saved (where as I don't in my phone)
    4) I have tons of saved locations in my Garmin...
    4a) Not only places to visit but also red light cameras and alike
    4b) The GUI for my Garmin is much easier to use while on the road.

    Oh I could probably go on and on...

    Makes sense, but let's say you didn't have an in-dash, would you have purchased one (in-dash or portable) to compliment the Pre?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  5. #5  
    I listened to that podcast on my way home from work today. I was actually looking for a way to get a hold of them a couple of weeks ago when they were talking about the new TomTom app and mount for the iPhone, how expensive it is and how it doesn't even give you street names through voice. A number of other things they didn't like. I think that's all the perspective they have as far as phone-based system and haven't experienced Nav on the Pre.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Cell phone GPS replacing Portable GPS ... defiantly plausible.

    However, I'll use my in-dash Garmin GPS over the Pre any-day.

    Edit I guess I should say why:
    1) Larger display
    2) Leaves my phone to be used for other activities
    3) I have detoured routes saved (where as I don't in my phone)
    4) I have tons of saved locations in my Garmin...
    4a) Not only places to visit but also red light cameras and alike
    4b) The GUI for my Garmin is much easier to use while on the road.

    Oh I could probably go on and on...
    Let's face it. Majority of us use GPS on a casual or semi-casual basis; perfectly suited to integrate this into a smartphone. The stand-alone PND device is quickly becoming more and more of a niche market. Sure there are users who need/use but again those are niche / vertical markets.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
    I have a Garmin NUVI 650 that I bought several years ago that served reasonably well. But, no traffic updates, and map updates are $70/year.
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 670 that comes preloaded with NA maps and European maps (Western that is), it cost me $1000.00 bucks about 4 years ago and I wouldn't trade it in for any smart phone on the market today, and likely the near future.

    I just upgraded my maps (both NA and Europe) for a $150.00 and that gives me 2 downloads of both map types a year for the life on my GPS. In my opinion you can't beat that deal.

    My GPS comes with a MP3 player, photo viewer, SD slot, world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator, E-books, voice announce turn by turn directions (with editable voices....I use a sexy British chick, but I digress)....red light camera locator, traffic updater and many other features that to me are great when I am not in my home cell phone area (no roaming charges), and it's on a screen that's large enough to see what's going on. Not to mention the fact that I can have it suggest routes, change my route in progress, add waypoints, and I can even turn it into pedestrian mode so that if I want to walk somewhere it will recognize one way streets and allow me to go in any direction on them.

    Don't get me wrong I love my Pre (or at least am warming up to it quite nicely), but nothing beats my Garmin Nuvi.

    Damn I should go and apply for a job there?!!?
  8. sumitk's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #8  
    No, but you could dole me a job, given the money you seem to have flowing around. Your map updates cost about the same as my Pre.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
    I was listening to today's show and they ran a story about a prediction that stand alone portable GPS navigation units will be extinct by 2014 as all phones will have GPS built in by then and we'll all be using our smart phones for portable navigation instead.

    Personally, I find this plausible, having recently started taking advantage of the Sprint Navigation features on the Pre. I have a Garmin NUVI 650 that I bought several years ago that served reasonably well. But, no traffic updates, and map updates are $70/year.

    Compared to that, the PRE has maps as current as can be, can let me send an address to my wife's PRE for her to navigate with, and, of course, has a real keyboard for data entry.

    But, Molly was ranting about the state of phone based navigation and had a lot of complaints, particularly about things like losing your navigation if a phone call comes in. Now, as I recall, navigation on the Pre will suspend if a call comes in, but automatically resume when the call ends. Ain't multitasking grand?

    How does this compare to iPhone? Do we have any Buzztown members who know more about GPS Navigation on Pre vs. other phones than can call in and give them a "well actually...." defense of the Pre's capabilities?
    The mistake is in comparing today's experience vs what it could be like in 2014. That's over 4 years from now. Remember what 2004 was like. No iphone. No Pre.

    At the same time, GPS units have advanced as well. They won't stand still. The main attraction is being able to leave it in car, their built to take extreme temps & sunlight, etc. I still prefer a phone to complement a GPS.

    Where you're using your phone to find a place and have an option to map using external gps which picks right up. All done wirelessly. In fact, think of the phone as a remote device to the GPS in car.
  10. jmcging's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #10  
    I've tried to use my phone GPS to replace my Garmin Nuvi and it isn't goiing to work for me as far as automobiles go for a lot of reasons. (On foot is a different question...)

    1) Screen size. Old eyes like larger screens, buttons etc. I want a larger GPS, I want an easy to use touchscreen with targets of a reasonable size that I can use without it being dangerous. I'm not looking for a GPS sized phone, that's why I bought a Pre and not an iPhone. I'm driving and need to be able to see what the maps say and make input as needed across the gap between the drivers seat and the dashboard.
    2) My Nuvi is bluetooth and I can receive and make calls without using the phone itself, which would be unsafe. So the main use of the phone is accommodated in compliance with state law and the phone is still available for the spouse to play with while the GPS does the map thing. Or at least my battery is being saved while the GPS uses it's battery.
    3) Not all my eggs in one basket. I can move my GPS from car to car, give it to the kids etc and put a ton of navigation related information on it. Ditto my phone. It may be redundant but if I lose either device at least I still have the one I didn't loose.
    4) Usability. Connected to #1 above, but a dedicated consumer device can affford to be more user friendly, easier to use than one that needs more touches or keystrokes or mouse clicks to get to or from a function or to input data. Form following function, if you will. For safety purposes, I think the least amount of driver interaction is important, and the phone navigation services curently are way to needy and require way too much human action.
    5) Even older GPS models work fine for a long time, so when I decide to get a new phone I'm not starting from scratch on the GPS functionality front.

    The commenter who said that the two complement each other I think is spot on.

    My MP3 player is my preferred music player (let me run down it's battery, not my phone) but I'm pleased my phone has the ability to play music. And I may switch between as circumstances dictate. Same with GPS.

    I suspect they will evolve as much as the phones do, but don't see them becoming extinct. Especially if folks will have to pay $100 for the feature set on their phone (as I see iPhone folks can) At that price, give me the external PND anyday.

    John
  11. #11  
    I have an old Nuvi 350. To me As long as the Pre has service, It's more capable than the Nuvi, The GUI isn't as pretty, but it re-routes faster, has Live traffic!! Yesterday it told me of traffic on 95 south and asked if i wanted to take a detour.

    Also when using the Pre GPS i can never miss calls because i jack into the veh aux port
    It's a very integrated experience hearing pandora/music player lower the volume(not pause) and the directions come over the speakers. I don't even look at my Pre screen because it has text to speech so i just listen and turn where i need to turn.

    With the App craze, all those things that are on the nuvi 670 will be on the pre so i could see it taking over, but nothing will ever beat a standalone gps for reliability tho.
  12. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #12  
    Everyone knows why Sprint Nav + GPS enabled phone - Map Fees = FREE GPS FOR ALL SPRINT CUSTOMERS. But the real game changer for the mainstream industry will be next week IF Apple puts GPS in the iPod Touch.

    (Disclaimer before reading. This is GPS talk, not Apple talk so holster the fanboi accusations)

    TomTom App ($99) + iPod Touch ($199) = Very Popular GPS Alternative

    GPS Software - The TomTom software at this point is basic but it has planned updates so expect them to stay competitive as more software alternatives (Garmin!) hits the App store

    Price - For some reason people slam the $99 price tag, but my 2005 TomTom cost $399 and m 2008 Garmin cost $280. So it's not too hard to justify buying a $199 Touch + $99 GPS Software.

    1.2GB Maps - Another complaint is the 1.2GB used. Well, considering 16/32gb is the norm and will only go higher then that's not that much space when you consider you get full GPS maps without requiring 3G connection.

    MP3 Player - MP3 players on standalone GPS units have always sucked but now it would include an iPod.

    Size - A 3.5" wide and flat screen is awkward for a phone but it makes a perfect GPS size. I love my Sprint Nav but the Pre screen is just too small for safe use in MY car. (Thanks california law. I'm sure it's much safer to keep it in the cupholder)

    Augmented Reality- Remember how everyone made fun of the compass? Well stand in awe because that silly buzzword "Augmented Reality" is legit. A buddy showed me the free Yelp.app monocle on his 3GS and the future of this kind of stuff should get you excited. Check it out.


    So IF the iPod Touch really does become an iPhone without a phone chip then the idea of a standalone GPS goes out the window because it's going to be cheaper/better/easier to just slam it on your iPhone (and hopefully GPS devs they don't forget the other smartphones can handle this software too). I still carry around my disabled iPhone and am tempted to turn it into a standalone GPS simply because I can.
    Last edited by Urkel; 09/03/2009 at 08:11 AM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    ]Augmented Reality[/B]- Remember how everyone made fun of the compass? Well stand in awe because that silly buzzword "Augmented Reality" is legit. A buddy showed me the free Yelp.app monocle on his 3GS and the future of this kind of stuff should get you excited. Check it out.
    .
    Aug Reality is a neat trick. I don't see any practicality in it though. I can pretty much tell where the restaurant/store/landmark is BUY LOOKING AT IT..

    The Human eye is far more distance and perception than does an iPhone camera.

    Besides, I've heard multitude of complaints that the iPhone compass is garbage. The G1 fairs much better.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    TomTom App ($99) + iPod Touch ($199) = Very Popular GPS Alternative
    You're down-right crazy. TomTom used to be great but they havn't innovated in years. What good are static maps? Maps, like life, should be alive in a way: they should update based on traffic and road conditions, update when there is construction and even handle new roads.

    TomTom doesn't do this. In fact, TomTom doesn't do what most GPS devices nowadays do. Lane assist just recently came but the graphics look like crap, no announcing of street names.... you know, I'm not even going to bother with this. Just take a look at why one reviewer thinks TomTom sucks.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    (Disclaimer before reading. This is GPS talk, not Apple talk so holster the fanboi accusations)
    (Disclaimer before reading. This is not me calling you a fanboi)

    Fanboi.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Let's face it. Majority of us use GPS on a casual or semi-casual basis; perfectly suited to integrate this into a smartphone. The stand-alone PND device is quickly becoming more and more of a niche market. Sure there are users who need/use but again those are niche / vertical markets.
    As of right now I really have no need for a Portable Navigation Device (PND). If I need directions it is becuase I'm in my car. Those niche markets where the consumer uses a PND... Is where I can easily see the PND becoming obsolete via mobile phone GPS.

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Makes sense, but let's say you didn't have an in-dash, would you have purchased one (in-dash or portable) to compliment the Pre?
    Well I can't say with certainty as (this is a "if-then" but) I've had my in-dash for a long time... so I would have to say yes, plus the following just recently happened:

    I was trying to compare my Garmin's Traffic updates to Google's Traffic updates just the other day... I had a full signal on my phone but for some reason had no EV network, so Google maps wouldn't load (rendering Garmin the winner). Keep in mind I was in a major suburb of Saint Louis, so I am not sure why I didn't have any EV access. I pass through this area frequently and at least for the next few weeks I will probably and check Google maps in the same location to see if it works.

    It really takes some major obstructions and interference for my in-dash Garmin to not get a signal via satellite whereas it appears minor obstructions and interference get in the way of Sprints EV network.

    With that said, at this current date I wouldn't trust my Pre to guide me to a place I've never been before (i.e. vacation). By 2014 that may very well change. I'm not bias to my Garmin it just suits me very well at this current date (and always has in the past).
  17. #17  
    I've said it here before, but this is the major factor for me. All of this... (not including my actual BB and iPod that aren't in the photo):



    ...was replaced by this:



    I wish I had a "before" picture of my truck set up for a long trip; BB on the center console, iPod on a cupholder mount, Magellan on a windshield mount, power cables running everywhere. So, even though the Sprint Nav on the Pre isn't quite as nice as it was on the Magellan, not having all that crap everywhere puts it over the top for me. My PND is going up on Craigslist, and I can't imagine myself ever buying another.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    As of right now I really have no need for a Portable Navigation Device (PND). If I need directions it is becuase I'm in my car. Those niche markets where the consumer uses a PND... Is where I can easily see the PND becoming obsolete via mobile phone GPS.
    Right, I think that's what I'm trying to say...other than say a pick-up or delivery type service or house-call service technician. I could see that (vertical market) having a dedicated PND or GPS depending on the vehicle (in-dash OEM). The phone based nav works for (most of) the rest of us.
  19. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Hey, what mount is that? California won't allow us to center windshield mount so we use the vent on the other car. But on her Pilot then the vent is so thick that nothing mounts on it so your solution looks perfect.

    Anyway, I sold my Garmin after a few weeks with the Pre. I just didn't need it anymore and I ended up getting more for it than i paid for my Pre.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Hey, what mount is that?
    It's probably a touchstone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions