1.    #1  
    Hey,
    The subject pretty much asks the question. I want to create the graphics for my program for the launcher icon.
    Since Im asking though too, how does one design all those cool graphics for their various programs? Also getting it into the programming.
    Hmmm. Can you be more specific? You have to make it 64X64 but I recommend going much much higher then scaling down for a better looking icon.

I typically start at 640X640.

But, do you have any specific questions? There are some great tutorials online you can look at, especially if you have Photoshop, to do some really cool stuff.
    you use Winscp to get to the "inner filesystem" of the pre..then you go to: var - usr - palm - applications...Here you will see all your installed apps on the pre. double-click the app folder you want to change icon for, open it and change the icon.png to your new icon (also rename it to icon.png)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Hmmm. Can you be more specific? You have to make it 64X64 but I recommend going much much higher then scaling down for a better looking icon.

I typically start at 640X640.

But, do you have any specific questions? There are some great tutorials online you can look at, especially if you have Photoshop, to do some really cool stuff.
    Do you use vector when scaling it down from 640x640 to 64x64? If not, I honestly think that's WAY too large to start out with if you want the icons to look better. Of course, scaling down is definitely better than scaling up - but a jump THAT huge would just be overkill. You can easily start around 128x128 and scale down half that size to 64x64 and get a killer looking graphic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    you use Winscp to get to the "inner filesystem" of the pre..then you go to: var - usr - palm - applications...Here you will see all your installed apps on the pre. double-click the app folder you want to change icon for, open it and change the icon.png to your new icon (also rename it to icon.png)
    Erm, what? He wanted icons for his new programs, not to change someone else's (at least that was my understanding).
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    Do you use vector when scaling it down from 640x640 to 64x64? If not, I honestly think that's WAY too large to start out with if you want the icons to look better. Of course, scaling down is definitely better than scaling up - but a jump THAT huge would just be overkill. You can easily start around 128x128 and scale down half that size to 64x64 and get a killer looking graphic.
    I occasionally use vector but not always (I'm better with Photoshop than Illustrator) but I don't think that's a huge jump at all.

Icons these days need to be huge. If you want to create an icon for Windows 7 or Mac OS X you're best starting out at least at 512 (Mac OS X now supports 24-bit PNGs at 512X512 for icons). I don't know about you but I'd rather future proof my icon because, as you said, you can always scale down.
  6.    #6  
    Lol,
    sorry didnt mean to create any descension among the ranks . I actually like all answers, because I did want to know how one has gone about creating those awesome little icons for their programs, however it is very useful to know how and where to change it on the Palm itself for existing programs too for modn'g the Pre.
    Thanks to all!
    I can use photoshop, illustrator any of those graphical editors .
  7.    #7  
    ps...how did you guys learn about all of this "how to get to" on the pre? Is there a listing of all the dir or did you just go through and nitpick all of them. And the command winscp, where did you learn that one too? Is that basic linux or javascripting, etc..?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I definitely concur that you want to start big. I tend to use Adobe Fireworks most often, working at 512x512. Then I group all layers, duplicate, flatten, and scale down to the desired size.
    I totally agree that you need to start big.. There's no argument there. But if you're starting THAT big, you would seriously need some sort of vector copy of the graphic at least somewhere. If you're doing straight rastor images, then you're still going to lose a bunch of little tiny detail here and there if you're scaling down so tiny.. That's always been my experience anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadCircus View Post
    I totally agree that you need to start big.. There's no argument there. But if you're starting THAT big, you would seriously need some sort of vector copy of the graphic at least somewhere. If you're doing straight rastor images, then you're still going to lose a bunch of little tiny detail here and there if you're scaling down so tiny.. That's always been my experience anyway.
    I agree. Vector is optimal. While I received training on both Illustrator and Photoshop, I'm still fairly bad at Illustrator. I was able to make a few, very nice logos in Illustrator but for most of my icon work I just do it in Photoshop since I'm most familiar with it.
    i've had problems with icons too losing a lot of detail. I typically made them in 54x54 but you can always see huge pixels how do you vector it? Specifically with Photoshop?
    Quote Originally Posted by srlake314 View Post
    ps...how did you guys learn about all of this "how to get to" on the pre? Is there a listing of all the dir or did you just go through and nitpick all of them. And the command winscp, where did you learn that one too? Is that basic linux or javascripting, etc..?
    The simple answer is just reading and doing! As far as winscp its not a command its a program to ssh into your pre using a windows like interface inc. a explorer type tree for navigating the file system.
    Quote Originally Posted by insanefury View Post
    i've had problems with icons too losing a lot of detail. I typically made them in 54x54 but you can always see huge pixels how do you vector it? Specifically with Photoshop?
    There's really no -easy- way to turn a rastor image into a vector image and keep all of the good detail. Best bet is to just start out creating the image in vector format using the pen tool, etc.