Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Google just announced you can now subscribe to your contacts birthdays in Google calendar. I tested it out and sure enough a new calendar now appears on my pre with my contacts B-days listed.

Here is a link to their announcement.

They also added Sports Calendars with real-time score updates during the game.

Official Gmail Blog: New in Calendar: Sports schedules and contacts' birthdays
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Good find!
    Yes!!! Now I have to transfer all of the bdays from my Pre to Google.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Address Book.app does not seem to sync the birthday to google. Bummer.
    Great, but still kinda sucks that it won't pull the ones that I already have in my Pre.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

It pulled all the bdays for any contacts that were saved on my google contacts list that are on my pre.
    Is it just me or does GContacts not sync with the Pre Contacts for birthdays????
    WTF.....
    Synergy...starting to feel hoodwinked
    Does anybody have any idea why the sports calendar doesn't sync to the Pre? Birthdays and Holidays synced immediately, but no Colorado Rockies schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Does anybody have any idea why the sports calendar doesn't sync to the Pre? Birthdays and Holidays synced immediately, but no Colorado Rockies schedule.
    No idea, the 2-way sync is a joke at this point.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    How do you set reminders for the birthday calendar in Google?
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    How do you set reminders for the birthday calendar in Google?
    If selected, it shows automatically under whatever color the calendar is.
    Okay, so the problems with this:

One, it only gives you birthdays for people in your Google Contacts. Most of my contacts' birthdays are only listed in Facebook, so I'm still using the same FB app I've always been using that generates an .ical link that Google can import for people's birthdays.

Two: the sports calendars are something that I've already been doing anyway. For the MLB each team has a calendar on their own site that provides great info such as probable starters, what channel the game is on, etc. That one updates during games as well. The issue is, that the Pre doesn't sync things that have already started. Once the beginning of the event has passed, the Pre stops including it in syncs. So, real-time score updates works in Google Calendar on the site, but doesn't work on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The issue is, that the Pre doesn't sync things that have already started. Once the beginning of the event has passed, the Pre stops including it in syncs.
    Yeah, but I'm not seeing any games scheduled at all. The show in my Google Calendar, but the category doesn't even exist on the Pre calendar.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I still can't figure out how to set pop-up or sms reminders for the birthday or the sports calendars.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not seeing any games scheduled at all. The show in my Google Calendar, but the category doesn't even exist on the Pre calendar.
    You might have to go into your preferences and accounts and do a manual sync or something, and go into the Google account specifically and make sure it's visible. I remember when I was first setting up the Pre that when I added a new public calendar to Google (which is how it adds sports calendars) it didn't always show until I played with it a little bit.
    i tried doing a manual sync for the sports calendar, i've even removed and readded my google calendar, it's still not working...anyone had any success?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sounds like I'm in the same boat.....It'll sync the US Holidays, but not the Sports.
  18.    #18  
    Hmmm...well this seems lee than impressive as of yet....without a way to set reminders for the Contacts Birthday Calendar it is pretty much useless to me. Being as it is a subscribed calendar, I cannot even manually set a reminder once it syncs to the pre.

And I too am unable to get the sports calendars to show up on my pre.

Hopefully though this is the first step in the right direction.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    This is great! Sure it's not perfect, but a great step in the right direction. When I converted from the Treo I synced all the birthdays to Google, so now I can see them on the Pre and Google.

One weird oddity was that when the new birthdays calendar first synced to the Pre, I went to the Accounts page and there was no option to set the color. And when I went to a day where I knew I had a birthday, the Pre calendar made a space for the birthday but showed nothing (only background). I tapped on the space and sure enough, the birthday event opened. But it still was invisible in the calendar. So I rebooted and voila, all is normal and I can set a color now for that calendar. For the folks that can't see their sports calendars, try a reboot, it _might_ help.
    this is a great step for google, but semi-fail for palm. do the sports show up on other phones calendar (BB, Iphone)?

Edit: answered my own question.

in this thread --> click sports and it says not working on other calendars at this time
    http://www.google.com/support/calend...n&answer=37098

---> other phone issues
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...6f805189&hl=en
    Last edited by RanGT; 09/03/2009 at 07:25 PM.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast