Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    So this is my refurbished model and I kinda learned to except it. But lately I've noticed that the signal will often go to 1x. My release model hardly did this. Maybe once, but not as many as times as this phone...

    Anybody experience similar
  2. #2  
    Mine does it at strange times--non-refurbished.

    For example, when I start using remotewin, it will kill evdo and go to 1x... bizarre.
    no 'Thanks'
  3. #3  
    It's a known issue and HOPEFULLY a future update will have a radio tweak.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #4  
    Its a known issue that will be constantly rumored to be fixed in the next update but never does
  5. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #5  
    Same thing happens with my air card, and my pre as soon as I start using bandwidth heavily.

    I don't know that a radio update would fix it.

    I'm guessing that it stays on EVDO until the signal gets too weak, or it gets too many CRC errors, then it steps down to 1x.

    I would guess that certain higher bandwidth apps tend to error more, and cause your pre to step down to 1x to help get rid of the errors.
  6. #6  
    I'm starting to think its the radio they used and not necessarily the firmware running it. I'll find out when I get the Hero and compare the two side by side. None of the other Sprint phones on the account do this but the Pre. Both mine and my wife's have the same issue.
  7. #7  
    I have the same issue out of now where it changes to 1x same thing happen to my touch pro. I know it tha evdo is there cause I can force it and it will pop up
  8. #8  
    what is the 1x? mine does that too from time to time.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by short_round View Post
    what is the 1x? mine does that too from time to time.
    I've been hit with 1x even in places where I get the max in signal. my home!
  10. #10  
    Honestly, I thought 1x was normal hahaha. Mine is always on 1x.. So either this town is REALLY crappy when it comes to signal or mine phone may be jacked up. I dunno.. It doesn't really bother me though.
  11. #11  
    Isn't that just kinda like your signal going from 5 bars to 2 in some areas? What's the big deal?

    And by the way, that wouldn't be a Palm issue; that's a Sprint issue.
    Last edited by kcw; 09/03/2009 at 04:46 AM.
  12. #12  
    Check out this post.

    In all seriousness, I don't know if this helps but check and see if data roaming is enabled in the phone app under preferences. I turned mine off and I don't really see the problem anymore. Might have nothing to do with it though.
  13. #13  
    i brought up the fact that my pre switches from evdo to 1x when i'm watching sprint tv or during heavy internet use a few weeks ago, and was dismissed as a paranoid conspiracy nut.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    In all seriousness, I don't know if this helps but check and see if data roaming is enabled in the phone app under preferences. I turned mine off and I don't really see the problem anymore. Might have nothing to do with it though.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1x occurred if the Pre had to data roam onto Verizon's network. So in your case, disabling data roaming, you have essentially stopped it from data roaming and going into 1x, meaning at times you may have no data at all.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  15. #15  
    Isn't 1x CDMA's equivilant of GSM's EDGE? i.e. 2G in areas where 3G isn't available?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1x occurred if the Pre had to data roam onto Verizon's network. So in your case, disabling data roaming, you have essentially stopped it from data roaming and going into 1x, meaning at times you may have no data at all.
    I do not know the answer to that for sure but I think you are right. I guess I have not really been explaining myself in why I am suggesting to disable data roaming.

    This is my experience. I used to have data roaming enabled. Then sometimes when I would be in an area that definitely should have a Sprint EV signal, it would be searching on 1x. I would go into my phone preferences and disable data roaming and it would immediately pick up an EV signal and start using that. From what I have found is that other data networks aren't as good as Sprint's. That is why I have data roaming disabled. The only time I have enabled data roaming is when I am traveling and I might not have a Sprint data signal. It has worked well for me so I thought I would share. Keep in mind, I am probably in a strong EV signal area approximately 95% of my time.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I do not know the answer to that for sure but I think you are right. I guess I have not really been explaining myself in why I am suggesting to disable data roaming.

    This is my experience. I used to have data roaming enabled. Then sometimes when I would be in an area that definitely should have a Sprint EV signal, it would be searching on 1x. I would go into my phone preferences and disable data roaming and it would immediately pick up an EV signal and start using that. From what I have found is that other data networks aren't as good as Sprint's. That is why I have data roaming disabled. The only time I have enabled data roaming is when I am traveling and I might not have a Sprint data signal. It has worked well for me so I thought I would share. Keep in mind, I am probably in a strong EV signal area approximately 95% of my time.
    That theory might work for you, but I have never had roaming on at all. I set it to Sprint only. I have a tower a 1/4 of a mile from my house, and a great area for EVDO. From time to time it, at my house it does go to 1X, and sure enough it happens when I am doing extensive browsing or doing something that requires connection, especially downloading. But this doesn't happen all the time.

    This could be a Sprint problem with the towers or it could be a Palm problem with the way the Radio handles the signal from the towers. I've been with Sprint 11 years, and never had this type of problem.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    That theory might work for you, but I have never had roaming on at all. I set it to Sprint only. I have a tower a 1/4 of a mile from my house, and a great area for EVDO. From time to time it, at my house it does go to 1X, and sure enough it happens when I am doing extensive browsing or doing something that requires connection, especially downloading. But this doesn't happen all the time.

    This could be a Sprint problem with the towers or it could be a Palm problem with the way the Radio handles the signal from the towers. I've been with Sprint 11 years, and never had this type of problem.
    I'm confused. Are you talking about the voice signal or the data signal? I am talking specifically about the data network. Actually, even re-reading your post, I am a little more confused. What exactly are you getting at?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    Isn't 1x CDMA's equivilant of GSM's EDGE? i.e. 2G in areas where 3G isn't available?

    no.. 1x means no data no browser no picture mail but you're at least able to make a phone call or send text messages. when the 1x disappears then you're relieved from these limitations. simple as that. I got it in my home area a few times and it was awkward because I had sprint for nearly 5 years I was a winmobile user and I had wmwifirouter since last year no issues with 1x. it didn't hit me as often as it does now with 1 month after the pre's launch date. My guess is too many people using the tower.
    Last edited by getmoneyeveryday; 09/04/2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo correction
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    no.. 1x means no data no browser no picture mail but you're at least able to make a phone call or send text messages. when the 1x disappears then you're relieved from these limitations. simple as that. I got it in my home area a few times and it was awkward because I had sprint for nearly 5 years I was a winmobile user and I had wmwifirouter since last year no issues with 1x. it didn't hit me as often as it does now with 1 month after the pre's launch date. My guess is too many people using the tower.
    That's insanely far from the truth.. When I have 1X, I'm still able to do everything - browse the web, text, picture mail, everything. My phone -stays- in 1X mode at my house and pretty much everywhere around my town unless I'm using wifi, and I'm never blocked from using these features on a 1X connection.

    Not only that, when my phone doesn't even SHOW 1X, I'm unable to browse the web and use data. I can still use the phone as well as send/receive texts, I just can't use data.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions