Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    That theory might work for you, but I have never had roaming on at all. I set it to Sprint only. I have a tower a 1/4 of a mile from my house, and a great area for EVDO. From time to time it, at my house it does go to 1X, and sure enough it happens when I am doing extensive browsing or doing something that requires connection, especially downloading. But this doesn't happen all the time.

This could be a Sprint problem with the towers or it could be a Palm problem with the way the Radio handles the signal from the towers. I've been with Sprint 11 years, and never had this type of problem.
    I'm just guessing here, but your proximity to a tower aside, the 1x data could be due to the Sprint network not having enough bandwidth at the time to accommodate everyone on the EVDO network, so it steps some people down. All networks have limitations so maybe that has something to do with it. I really have no idea....
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    no.. 1x means no data no browser no picture mail but you're at least able to make a phone call or send text messages. when the 1x disappears then you're relieved from these limitations. simple as that. I got it in my home area a few times and it was awkward because I had sprint for nearly 5 years I was a winmobile user and I had wmwifirouter since last year no issues with 1x. it didn't hit me as often as it does now with 1 month after the pre's launch date. My guess is too many people using the tower.
    No, 1X is the slower non 3G Data connection for CDMA. If there is a tower that does not have EVDO (3G Data, shows as EV on the phone), then most likely it has 1X at the very least for data.

When roaming, you only get 1X, I guess because that is how the carriers have their roaming agreements set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
    No, 1X is the slower non 3G Data connection for CDMA. If there is a tower that does not have EVDO (3G Data, shows as EV on the phone), then most likely it has 1X at the very least for data.

When roaming, you only get 1X, I guess because that is how the carriers have their roaming agreements set up.
    Thank you for clearing this up! I was reading some of these other posts and some people have no clue as to the network 1XRT and EVDO!

I've had the same problems. On my last phone, I was able to get into the Debug menu and force EVDO only. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that on the Pre? If I can set my phone to that, it won't switch anymore... I think.

As far as Data Roaming, yes, you can only go as fast as 1X on Verizons network, which sucks by the way. It's just way too slow to even bother with Data roaming.

When I see that I'm stuck in 1X and it won't switch back (on Sprints Network), I restart my Pre.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I've had the same problems. On my last phone, I was able to get into the Debug menu and force EVDO only. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that on the Pre? If I can set my phone to that, it won't switch anymore... I think.
    Yes. Go into the phone dialer app and type ##EVDO# (##3836#) and you can change your option to EVDO only.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Yes. Go into the phone dialer app and type ##EVDO# (##3836#) and you can change your option to EVDO only.
    Oh. I'm an *****. I can't believe I didn't know that!

Does this work much better? I'm assuming that it usually switches to 1x as a glitch when you are in the same spot that was just EVDO. I'm I right with that?

Thanks by the way.
    Do you know what the default is? Hybrid Rev 0 or A?

I had to switch back, because I chose EVDO only, not EVDO rev 0 only, and when I made a call, the signal strength meter showed an 'x' over it, like I had no signal. I don't know whats going on. And it also says 1X before switching to EV next to the signal bars.

Does this work much better? I'm assuming that it usually switches to 1x as a glitch when you are in the same spot that was just EVDO. I'm I right with that?

Thanks by the way.
    I believe it is a glitch but am not for sure.

I had to switch back, because I chose EVDO only, not EVDO rev 0 only, and when I made a call, the signal strength meter showed an 'x' over it, like I had no signal. I don't know whats going on. And it also says 1X before switching to EV next to the signal bars.
    The default is Hybrid Rev A.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpohl View Post

Yay I was correct with my GSM EDGE compaisson!!!! Lul

This is because EVDO only means Data only, thus no voice. Only use "EVDO only" if you don't want to deal with phone calls or text messages.

Also if you turn of EVDO then you can do everything but get emails, just slowly...

Thanks by the way.

This isn't a glitch it's expected behavior. There are certain things the phone could do to hide the fact it isn't getting EVDO like speeds, but Palm assumes we're smart enough to deal.

This is similar to using one of those antenna TVs, remember them? Anyway, sometimes you could get perfect picture and sometimes it seemed to get pretty bad, though the TV clearly didn't move, it's usually just interference, objects weather, maintenance, lots of things can affect it, and if it's just on that borderline of E and 1x, it'll jump with any minor change.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    This is because EVDO only means Data only, thus no voice. Only use "EVDO only" if you don't want to deal with phone calls or text messages.
    You must have meant to say that it used to. Now it means data optimized. Just FYI.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    You must have meant to say that it used to. Now it means data optimized. Just FYI.
    Set it to EVDO only and try calling your phone. It should go straight to vxmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Set it to EVDO only and try calling your phone. It should go straight to vxmail.
    I am not disagreeing with you on how EVDO only works on the Pre. What I am disagreeing with is that EVDO means Evolution Data Only. I am just correcting incorrect information.

Here are the first couple sites that came up when I googled EVDO.

Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is EVDO? : EVDOinfo.com

I don't know exactly when it was changed but "they" (nobody actually knows this "they" people refer to) changed it to evolution data optimized and evolution data only is the outdated term. No biggie I was just clarifying.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12