Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the best guesses for when the rumored augmented-memory Pre will be released? Yesterday my 22 months was up, and I'd been looking forward to buying a Pre (and still am), but I'll be very annoyed if I buy one and the higher memory version is released three weeks later.

So, best guesses?
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

There's no telling but my guess the longer you wait the less time you'll have one until the newer is released just saying
    Theres barely even "rumors", I don't think anyone will be able to guess.
    There are two more Palm models coming out in January for Sprint and Verizon. There is some schools of thought that say we will see more capacity with one of those.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Palm will upgrade to 16/32gb when the industry moves to 64/128gb standard.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 16GB Pre show up around the holidays.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    There no way Palm/Sprint will fully leak the date becuse it would affect their sales...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    My guess would be next year. By then they will have gotten rid of all the early bug ridden ones they sold us. Just kidding, sort of.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 16GB Pre show up around the holidays.
    This would surprise me a lot, actually. Palm's guiding vision about storage space on the Pre can be summed up as follows: "when you've got the cloud, who needs on-device storage?" I don't agree with this vision, but I get the distinct feeling that the product development team for the Pre does.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    This would surprise me a lot, actually. Palm's guiding vision about storage space on the Pre can be summed up as follows: "when you've got the cloud, who needs on-device storage?" I don't agree with this vision, but I get the distinct feeling that the product development team for the Pre does.
    Agreed. Palm has an all or nothing cloud philosophy. Giving people 32gb would sort of go against that so i dont see it happening.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=wilder_jw;1864989]What are the best guesses for when the rumored augmented-memory Pre will be released? Yesterday my 22 months was up, and I'd been looking forward to buying a Pre (and still am), but I'll be very annoyed if I buy one and the higher memory version is released three weeks later.

So, best guesses?[/QUOT

Don't hold your breath.
    I'm not betting on it anytime soon, either. Which is a real shame, because, frankly, capacity is the only thing keeping me with my 16GB iPod Touch right now. Well, that and Wolfenstein 3D.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Wait, I got the 16GB version and nobody else did?
    Personally i hope that a 16 or 32 GB pre does not come out anytime soon, that would make me really upset considering i'll be stuck with an 8 instead of a 16 or 32GB.

I don't think palm would like for their customers to be upset and if they do throw a 16 or 32GB pre they'll probably have an option for palm owners (HOPEFULLY).
    I am really on the fence. I have been waiting patiently for my contract with Verizon to expire. Well, that day is here: it expires tomorrow.

However, one of the things that I really, really wanted was at least 16GB. That was one of my few hesitation points on purchasing, and now that there are rumors on the horizon about one coming in January ... I don't know what to do.

I want the Pre, but if there really is a 16GB version coming, I will wait until January. It'll be hard, but I've waited this long, and can wait a bit longer.

Please, if anyone has any substantial information either way, I'd love to hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    There's no telling but my guess the longer you wait the less time you'll have one until the newer is released just saying
    +1
    I think its funny that someone would be upset if they upgrade. It doesn't make your device worse because someone else device has more. Products evolve.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    @Racthetjaw...I'm the same way. I have a 32g iTouch and I've only filled it up 3/4 of the way with music and videos and that was after purposely trying to feel it up so I would feel like an ***** for buying a $400 iPod when I could've gotten the 8 or 16gig and been just fine. I mostly use it for the apps and they don't take up hardly any space....big expensive "toy".
    I've come to adopt the "cloud" philosophy in a different way than the one attributed to the Palm people who allegedly think you shouldn't need 16 or 32 gb since you have access to the cloud. Rather than carrying around a bunch of MP3s, I'm now a fan of using Pandora and getting my music over the aether! I just have a "survival" mix of half a gig or so of MP3s on my Pre so that I have something to listen to on airplanes or in places with crummy or no EVDO signal. The built-in Youtube app is arguably a way of using a similar philosophy for video.

I wouldn't even guess at a date, but my suspicion is that as long as the tech development people at Palm have some good and useful ideas that can be incorporated into an updated model, they will focus on bringing out new and improved models that can be marketed on features. If they ever run out of ideas for genuine improvements, either because they are completely fizzling out, or because they are having trouble implementing the new ideas they have, they may try to get a temporary sales boost by marketing a higher-memory Pre. So _IF_ you accept the idea that The Cloud makes enhanced memory less useful, it might actually be a bad side for all us friends of Palm if they release an expanded-memory model!
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    I've come to adopt the "cloud" philosophy in a different way than the one attributed to the Palm people who allegedly think you shouldn't need 16 or 32 gb since you have access to the cloud. Rather than carrying around a bunch of MP3s, I'm now a fan of using Pandora and getting my music over the aether! I just have a "survival" mix of half a gig or so of MP3s on my Pre so that I have something to listen to on airplanes or in places with crummy or no EVDO signal. The built-in Youtube app is arguably a way of using a similar philosophy for video.

I wouldn't even guess at a date, but my suspicion is that as long as the tech development people at Palm have some good and useful ideas that can be incorporated into an updated model, they will focus on bringing out new and improved models that can be marketed on features. If they ever run out of ideas for genuine improvements, either because they are completely fizzling out, or because they are having trouble implementing the new ideas they have, they may try to get a temporary sales boost by marketing a higher-memory Pre. So _IF_ you accept the idea that The Cloud makes enhanced memory less useful, it might actually be a bad side for all us friends of Palm if they release an expanded-memory model!
    Now there is an interesting take on the situation. Not sure I agree, but it sure is different.

Unfortunately, people have been trained by Apple and computers in general to think more memory is better, and the major reason why certain models cost more. If Palm wants to keep something around at the $200 mark, they have to put more memory on it. That's just the way the market is right now.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast