1.    #1  
    Hello, everyone. I was wondering what skills and training everyone has that has enabled the community to make so much progress with this great phone. The reason I ask is that I am considering getting a degree in computer science but don't know what area I'd like to at least start concentrating in. I am currently a lawyer but wouldn't mind using the other side of my brain. I am not formally trained in computers but like poking around and learning more about them.

I am assuming those that have created the apps are code writers. Is that correct? What are the best languages to learn? It is something most of you have gone to school for a bachelor's or even master's or is it something that you were able to learn how to do to with some of the books for sale at places like Microcenter? How long did it take you to be able to write the apps?

Are there any specific computer or programing books anyone really recommends? I'd love to be able to dive right in and contribute but I am guessing there is a lot more to it than that. I hope to learn to write apps to start contributing myself at some point.

The Homebrew apps have been better than the offering at the App Catalog. My next goal is to root this thing and make some of the graphical tweaks that have made other people's devices look so great. And it would be great just to learn more about the Pre.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by vaderite666; 09/02/2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: I typed "Microsoft" instead of "Microcenter."