Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Actually, that is the question. I've tried searching for this and am stunned by my lack of searching skills in that I cannot find a definitive answer.

So, apologies for what must be an old question(s) but...

I cracked the screen on my original Pre. Touchscreen won't work.
    I got a replacement Pre and now that is the phone I use.
    I need to return the broken phone in the bag Sprint insurance gave me.
    Ideally, I'd like to get some photos off the old phone, but don't think I can (I had not rooted that Pre)
    Minimally, I just want to wipe the old Pre out b/f I send it over the hills and far away.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Device Info icon --> Hit the "Reset Options" button. You'll see an option for partial or full erease.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Device Info icon --> Hit the "Reset Options" button. You'll see an option for partial or full erease.
    He can't with out the touchscreen not working.

Remotely Wipe your Palm Pre. Hope that helps out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    He can't with out the touchscreen not working....
    My 2nd grade teacher would be disappointed at my lack of reading skills....
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    He can't with out the touchscreen not working.

Remotely Wipe your Palm Pre. Hope that helps out there.
    What about running WebOS Doctor. I don't recall if that required screen interaction. Might me worth a try.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It seems the remote erase option won't work b/c my profile is linked with my new phone - I suspect I'll just end up erasing the current phone that works.

As noted, I can't do the device info option since the touchscreen doesn't work. Don't worry, we won't tell your 2nd grade teacher ;-)

Re: WebOS Doctor would that be a viable option? I've used it to install filecoaster and mytether but beyond that I know nothing about the program. I'll poke around it now and see, but if anyone has a definitive answer while I do that please feel free to jump in and save me from my hamfisted needle in a haystack efforts . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    What about running WebOS Doctor. I don't recall if that required screen interaction. Might me worth a try.
    Good idea on that, I've never used WebOS doctor but overall from the forums it seems to be mostly the computer doing everything and no interaction needed with the phone.

WebOS Doctor. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Ah, I plugged cracked phone into computer and ran WebOS doctor. It sensed (I guess) that my phone was . . . something bad . . . and first (and only option) I was given was to reset the phone. Then it says it will sync with my Palm Profile (which it won't b/c of new phone linked with it) and then I'll have to manually sync my photos and such . . . which I won't b/c I just want it erased before I send it off.

So . . . it seems that this is in fact a (the?) way to erase/hard reset a Pre w/an unusable touchscreen.

WebOS doctor is telling me it's 46% of the way through this process . . . hopefully all will go well.
    Wow, the doctors deserve the money they get for being smart , sense that something wrong with your phone and makes you reset. Very user friendly right there. Great job WebOS Doc
    WebOSDoctor is my friend....I've had to use it twice!
    hook up pre to puter usb mode(if you cant hit usb mode try hooking up anyways it just might work ,you never know lol) look for pics and remove to desktop then run web doctor . hope it works !!!!!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    All done! WebOS has returned to cracked Pre to its original state - AND IT FIXED THE CRACKED SCREEN!!!!

Ok, no it didn't. But I was very pleased by the work of the good doctor. Now I can send my day one purchase Pre off to it's insurance grave (I guess to be recycled to someone else one day).

Shadavis08 - tried that at first but you can't use the touchscreen to tell it to go to USB mode. It'll charge, but that's it while you just stare helplessly at your media sync/usb mode/just charge options.

Thanks for y'alls help folks! This board has always ruled (going back to Treocentral)
    Wow, I know this is old, but I'm surprised:

He said he wanted to save his pictures from the bad phone. No one mentioned that he could have connected his phone via USB, then held the red button, Sym, and the letter U to enable USB mode without using the screen. You guys should be ashamed.