1.    #1  
    Is there any way to turn the data service on the phone off temporarily? I'd like to be able to take my phone places and at times not have the data service work at all. I want to be able to have the phone on to use as a clock and other things and be able to receive calls, but I don't want to notice new emails coming in and stuff like that. I suppose I could turn email notification off temporarily, but I've thought at other times that it would be nice to be able to use the phone without data services at all.

Is that possible?
    I don't think you can do that. On my Treo 755p, I could sign out of Vision services, and that would effectively stop the data flow. I haven't seen a way to do that on the Pre--it's designed to always be connected.

If you mute, you won't notice the emails so much, but then you also won't notice the calls so much (though calls are pretty easy to see if it's in front of you on the Touchstone).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Is there any way to turn the data service on the phone off temporarily? I'd like to be able to take my phone places and at times not have the data service work at all. I want to be able to have the phone on to use as a clock and other things and be able to receive calls, but I don't want to notice new emails coming in and stuff like that. I suppose I could turn email notification off temporarily, but I've thought at other times that it would be nice to be able to use the phone without data services at all.

Is that possible?
    Even if you turn EVDO off and drop down to 1XRTT, you'll still get email notifications and such.