Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    Check out this link from BGR

    Palm’s location-based advertising patent likely sheds light on background location reporting in webOS : Boy Genius Report

    Based upon the location data from the appointment and the location of device 310 (or other alternative location provided by the user), processor 340 may then provide advertisement data (step 386), for example, along the driving route between the location of the appointment and the current location of device 310 within a predetermined distance of the location of the appointment and/or the current location of device 310, and so on.

    In other words, the system will keep tabs on your location in order to serve ads that will theoretically get you to spend money on the spot. Why not stop off for a coffee in this Starbucks? How about a tasty Angus Third Pounder from the McDonald’s down the block? But wait, it gets worse. Palm’s concept goes even further to pull appointment information out of your calendar in order to serve contextual ads based on your destination location in addition to your current location. While this concept is pretty brilliant, it’s also remarkably invasive and just a teeny tiny bit frightening. Is the future of mobile advertising a gross invasion of our privacy?
    Okay, if I find out that my Pre is being used for this, by Palm, I'm done. This would be the very last straw. Palm is becoming more shady every single solitary day.

    Why in the WORLD would a cell phone mfg even THINK about doing this to one of their products? You would think they would try and STOP this. I'm at loss for words here. (if this is true)
  2. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #2  
    Welcome to 3 weeks ago.

    PS: If this bothers you, I would urge you to stop using web browsers and anything google.
  3. #3  
    I guess you said goodbye to facebook too then right?
  4. #4  
    Dumb. The "background location reporting" was something done once a day and would obviously not be linked to this patent.

    Not trying to defend Palm here as I don't even like the once a day thing but it always seems like you try to stir up trouble around these parts...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Why in the WORLD would a cell phone mfg even THINK about doing this to one of their products? You would think they would try and STOP this. I'm at loss for words here. (if this is true)
    Who cares if they are doing this? ads are ads. its not like the ppl at palm are gonna hunt u down and kill you. i could care less if they knew where i was. i have nothing to hide.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Welcome to 3 weeks ago.

    PS: If this bothers you, I would urge you to stop using web browsers and anything google.
    Its obvious you didn't do more then just glance at the topic. This wasn't, ever, posted 3 weeks ago. This is something new that was discovered. The "Welcome to 3 weeks ago" was an article that said Palm sends location data back to their database. It never mentioned a patent for Palm to use this data to put advertisements on your phone.

    Some of you amaze me.. Your content with Palm being able to "Put advertisements" on YOUR phone. Its like they can do no wrong. If the phone caused 90% of the users to have cancer, you would defend Palm... Some of you look like complete fools.
  7. #7  
    Im just not worried about this....I don't know but it's just not that scary i guess....maybe i've just been expecting it or something...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Who cares if they are doing this? ads are ads. its not like the ppl at palm are gonna hunt u down and kill you. i could care less if they knew where i was. i have nothing to hide.
    wtf? LMFAO.. you're seriously fine with ads being placed on your phone? are you kidding me??

    This forum, omg, it cracks me up. I honestly believe, this is worse then iPhone fanboi's... this cracks me up.

    "Ehh who cares, let palm advertise while I'm using my GPS".. "Ehh if I wanna make a phone call, I can wait 30secs for an advertisement." "My pre is a god and it does no wrong".
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    way to post a quote without sourcing it in anyway.

    "tntsniper must be osma bin laden"

    That must mean its true!
    Either I'm blind, stupid or everything, or its late, but this is sourced extremely well..

    A). I posted a link to the BGR
    B). ON BGR THERE IS A LINK THAT SAYS "READ" CLICK IT... IT HAS A LINK TO THE PATENT

    United States Patent Application: 0090197619

    For those of you who can't read, lazy, jump to conclusions on me posting "Something 3 weeks ago", "Not sourcing it", etc.

    Love it.

    EDIT*
    Whoops mrlooserpunk changed what he wrote..

    LMAO People are jumping in and defending the Pre w/ out even READING what was written... gotta love it.. Proof is in my quote and previous replies. LMAO
  10. #10  
    ads are everywhere. they arent gonna make or break a phone choice. open a search engine or a web page, OMG ads! big whoop. there are more important things to worry about then a few dumb ads that you can ignore.
  11. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Its obvious you didn't do more then just glance at the topic. This wasn't, ever, posted 3 weeks ago. This is something new that was discovered. The "Welcome to 3 weeks ago" was an article that said Palm sends location data back to their database. It never mentioned a patent for Palm to use this data to put advertisements on your phone.

    Some of you amaze me.. Your content with Palm being able to "Put advertisements" on YOUR phone. Its like they can do no wrong. If the phone caused 90% of the users to have cancer, you would defend Palm... Some of you look like complete fools.
    And you seem to lack the mental aptitude to be able to understand that Palm isn't currently doing this, but potentially could at some point. Let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it, yeah?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    And you seem to lack the mental aptitude to be able to understand that Palm isn't currently doing this, but potentially could at some point. Let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it, yeah?
    palm needs money.....doing this might get them some from advertising companies while will allow them to stay afloat and in business along with the money they are making for the pre and let them roll out another device maybe a tad sooner. that could be 1 reason. God knows why they are doing this. but the fact is that this is not like they are MAKING you go to these places. this is not hurting anyone unless ppl overreact and go crazy over a few ads.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    And you seem to lack the mental aptitude to be able to understand that Palm isn't currently doing this, but potentially could at some point. Let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it, yeah?
    Honestly, do you just post and hope to make a right statement? Maybe somewhere in the ball park?

    I put (if this is true) at the bottom of what I wrote. Please read, once again, before posting.

    Thanks

    You just made your self look foolish.

    What you don't understand is this, we have no idea what palm is doing with the collected data, so yes, it could be happening right now. It may not be, but that doesn't mean Palm hasn't implemented this in such ways, that it can be used in the future.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    "Ehh who cares, let palm advertise while I'm using my GPS".. "Ehh if I wanna make a phone call, I can wait 30secs for an advertisement." "My pre is a god and it does no wrong".
    Just a quick tip, people might take you more seriously if you didn't 1) give retarded extreme examples that will never happen and 2) didn't become so overzealous about it and actually tried to hold a serious debate about it. Instead you just go off the deep and and completely freak out without a single thought of your own (your first post only has your quote mostly and not one single commentary of your own).

    Enjoy being ignored, and freaking out over nothing.

    By the way, web based advertisements have been doing this exact thing for years, seriously. You've given the administrators of this site access to do the same thing by posting (and giving out your IP address).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Either I'm blind, stupid or everything, or its late, but this is sourced extremely well..

    A). I posted a link to the BGR
    B). ON BGR THERE IS A LINK THAT SAYS "READ" CLICK IT... IT HAS A LINK TO THE PATENT

    United States Patent Application: 0090197619

    For those of you who can't read, lazy, jump to conclusions on me posting "Something 3 weeks ago", "Not sourcing it", etc.

    Love it.

    EDIT*
    Whoops mrlooserpunk changed what he wrote..

    LMAO People are jumping in and defending the Pre w/ out even READING what was written... gotta love it.. Proof is in my quote and previous replies. LMAO
    Wow, how awesome are you? someone made a mistake. I'm sure your perfect in every way bunghole. But guess what your chicken little sky is falling BS is lame. Go away would you?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  16. #16  
    Welcome to 4 weeks ago....and really? this upsets you? welcome to the 21st century. If this upsets you you might as well pack it in right now.
  17. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #17  
    How many patents do you think Palm has? This is no different than what Google (the government) is doing.

    I don't want location based ads, but I am more concerned with the 'reported' app usage and location reports. These were never verified or properly addressed by Palm. Everyone keep speaking out to get some answers about this!

    Hopefully someone will make a "Privacy control" app that blocks all phone-home traffic.

    * Cancel your Facebook account. They DO NOT respect your privacy.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Wow, how awesome are you? someone made a mistake. I'm sure your perfect in every way bunghole. But guess what your chicken little sky is falling BS is lame. Go away would you?
    Wait, it was okay for you to jump on me for "Possibly making a mistake", also by calling me Osama Bin Laden? Am I missing something here? Its okay for you to jump on someone for possibly making a mistake, but its not okay for anyone else, correct?
  19. #19  
    mk no more arguing. everyone go post on other topics
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Wait, it was okay for you to jump on me for "Possibly making a mistake", also by calling me Osama Bin Laden? Am I missing something here? Its okay for you to jump on someone for possibly making a mistake, but its not okay for anyone else, correct?
    It's okay for me to think your a moron for posting lame info in a new thread long after its been discussed to death in multiple threads...And yeah you are kinda like bin laden with all this "fear mongering" crap.

    Could we lock this thread up as the useless rehash it is?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions