Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, getting ready once and for all to get the Pre but can't find answers to some basic questions.

1.) If I install the myTether app, tethering is free is that correct?

2.) If that is correct, is there any way Sprint would be able to know I was doing this and charge me extra?

3.) Will the myTether app work with a Mac computer? If so only via wi-fi?

That's it.

Thanks.
    -Yes
    -Sprint knows
    -It allows you to tether over USB, or Bluetooth PAN

Official Forum thread
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    -Yes
    -Sprint knows
    -It allows you to tether over USB, or Bluetooth PAN

Official Forum thread
    How do you figure Sprint knows? Considering you can get the entire web experience on the Pre, theres no way for them to differentiate between the kind of data sent through tethering versus the kind of data used already on the phone.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the quick response, now any ideas on how to get a palm pre at a discount because my contract isn't up for another year!
  5.    #5  
    Actually are you sure it works over USB I just searched that forum and can only find BT support?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xfiring View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, now any ideas on how to get a palm pre at a discount because my contract isn't up for another year!
    If you are a Sprint VIP user, you can get the same phone discount as you get when your 2 yr contract expires. Call Sprint for details.
  7.    #7  
    I have been over 10 years but Sprint is so screwed up they have me down for only 3 years and I have to dispute how long I've been a customer!
    It may just be my girlfriend's MacBookPro, but we were not able to get tethering working with OSX any way other than BT.

With both USB networking and with WiFi, OSX was able to find and connect to the network created by the pre, but would not recognize that it was a connection to the internet.

Connecting over BT while the Pre is in USB tethering mode works just great.
  9.    #9  
    Now they have verified me for over 10 years but say my premiere status won't be in effect until Oct.5.
    Still pushing them...
  10.    #10  
    Nope, no go on the phones, have to wait until Oct. 5 they say...this is when my premiere status will be active.
    I belive they can tell if you are tethering based on the amount of data you are using. There is no exact way of knowing though.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    I belive they can tell if you are tethering based on the amount of data you are using. There is no exact way of knowing though.

Honestly, they can't even reasonably be sure of that. With podcasts, etc - I can easily use just as much bandwidth with the Pre itself as I can with a tethered pc/laptop.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    The author of the program recommends you do normal websurfing, checking email, etc. as opposed to lots of streaming video. His website is here My Tether
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    They can tell if you are tethering because the Pre reports what applications you are using, and for how long. That is pretty exact if you ask me.

http://www.precentral.net/fyi-pre-re...-location-palm
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    I used 4gb of data the first month I had the phone, with no tethering solution even being available. I consistently use over 2gb now, I don't tether now either(though I have mytether installed and working, just don't really use it).
    I actually recieved an error message on my phone, telling me to contact sprint cust service to activate tethering... scared me! I rebooted and tried again, haven't seen that message since.

Also, there was an article a few weeks back (google "palm spying") and apparently they could collect info such as location, data usage, open program, installed programs, etc.

BTW- no usb support for mac. either wifi or BT.

While tethering wifi in public (free version) others can leech and you may unknowingly using up LOTS of data (not to mention steal your data).

Its feature that you should only use in a pinch. I think that Sprint is not putting the kabosh on this yet because it is an unofficial selling point of the capabilities of the pre. Once the bad apples who try to use my tether to download gigs of pirated content on peer to peer networks start doing so, then sprint will react quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    They can tell if you are tethering because the Pre reports what applications you are using, and for how long. That is pretty exact if you ask me.

That says nothing about whether Sprint knows. Sprint != Palm.

It also says right at the bottom:

"Palm takes privacy very seriously, and offers users ways to turn data collecting services on and off. Our privacy policy is like many policies in the industry and includes very detailed language about potential scenarios in which we might use a customer's information, all toward a goal of offering a great user experience. For instance, when location based services are used, we collect their information to give them relevant local results in Google Maps. We appreciate the trust that users give us with their information, and have no intention to violate that trust."
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post

Yes, uploads it to PALM, not Sprint.

That's not to say whether or not Palm shares that info with Sprint - but it doesn't go directly to sprint. Palm couldn't care less if you tether your phone or not.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre n00b View Post
    Its feature that you should only use in a pinch. I think that Sprint is not putting the kabosh on this yet because it is an unofficial selling point of the capabilities of the pre. Once the bad apples who try to use my tether to download gigs of pirated content on peer to peer networks start doing so, then sprint will react quickly.
    You can already run a bittorrent client on the Pre itself - so the whole p2p FUD thing is really kind of a red herring.

The point is the Pre can use just as much bandwidth as a pc user can. It'd be really difficult to tell the difference between tethering and just the device at this point.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    do they still have the 5gb cap for the pre like they did with the instinct.?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast