Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Probably not the first person to have their Pre Stolen But heres my take on the gloriously frustrating pain and process of having your phone stolen.....

---What Happened!?-----------------------------
    I go to a social gathering my friend and his wife put on at the end of the summer. I change into my bathing suite and put my phone with my dry cloths, Like everyone else did pretty much. After maybe 20 minutes came back to change only to find my beloved Pre gone.
    (Sidenote: I had the Touchstone backing plate and a Seido Holster with the nifty Radio prong thingy, the Seido i bought literally three days before the event)
    It had a good charge on it, so i figured someone picked it up mistaking it for my friend's brothers Pre, so I dialed my number and the phone was shut off

So after embarrassingly having me and my friend check everyone's pockets (though not a bad excuse to feel up people of the opposite sex)
    Nothing turned up.

His brother then commented on how Palm has the back up and restore feature, also remote wipe

----- The Problem with recovering your data -----------------------
    I figure that i should ask the maker of the phone and the data recovery software what i'm looking at as a data loss.

If you try contacting Palm's Security team via email, they'll just direct you to their crap "solutions" page, something almost every company does in order to keep the inbox count low and manageable.

If you contact sprint, they very politely talk you into a circle that brings you back to Step one "trying to figure out what to do and what's recoverable"

So I finally just charge ahead and contact the insurance provider and that's what I'm filling out now is the red tape to replace the damn thing, which to the insurance company is known as the "PALM 100" so over the phone communication was complicated by that for a few moments

------Things about the Palm Security features------------
    -So what i did find out is that the touchstone door isn't covered, neither is the holster clip. yeah insurance for 7 bucks a month!

- Remote wipe isn't as cool as it sounds, when you read the fine print you learn its not the nifty Mission Impossible Self Destruct your pre so whatever spy took it will never get the data on it.

- "Recovering" Data is different depending on who explains it to you, so as of now i have no clue what's lost, well besides what i'm assuming, my Photos of family and friends, all my notes on the memo board, and all the files from the "USB drive" mode will stay with teh original device

------------- BIGGEST THING THAT UPSETS ME!!!!------------

(Part 1) If you contact sprint and ask them to track the last place or the next time the phone is turned on or attempted to be used, they tell you they can't, and kindly deactivate your account....

(Part 2)Now if Palm has all this data collecting going on and legal as was written in the contract i signed in order to get the phone, AND if the Pre is Sprints Flagship Phone, then maybe they should be prepared for these things.
    It's probably not simple, but not impossible to check the last known location or area that the phone was used, hence E911

I'll post more info as it comes in about the process of getting another Pre
    as of now I've been offered Sprint Family Locator for another 5 bucks a month, and a handful of forms to help the "easy" process of replacing a smartphone
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I'd like to hear how this pans out.. on another note I use synctoy often to copy content frmo my usb storage to my pc that way it mirrors my pre.. this way should I lose my pre i still save all my photos music and other usb info just the way it was on the lost or stolem pre with which ever new pre I sync to it. My concern is to see how your data information is backed up such as your contacts and the linkage between them. I'd sure hate to have to link all profiles with my ever growing facebook contacts and email chain! My last concern is with remote wipe.. what do you mean when you say its not the mission impossible self destruct? All you personal and contact info gets wiped right?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I'm sorry that you were a victim of a crime. But there's a few confusing things about your story. First of all, neither Palm or Sprint are responsible for the theft so the fact that they were of no help doesn't surprise me. Secondly Sprint will not help you track a phone because they don't know what your intentions are and will not be held liable. As far as the insurance is concerned you mention a "Palm 100" insurance for $7 a month? Is this different than the Sprint TEP for $7 a month? Either way, of course nothing other than the phone would be covered. What Sprint can do is disable the ESN rendering it useless to the person who stole it. I do feel sorry for the fact that you were a victim of a crime but I think your expectations are a bit high regarding their responsibility for what happened to you.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Sorry for the Delay, without my beloved pre in hand i tend not to check Precentral every day like i used to...

SO update, Yes it is the Sprint/Nextel TEP plan, or whate ever its called, what i ment was they refer to the name of the product based on the codename or whatever they're not familar with the product @ Asurance the Insurance company (cute name)

----------------SO HERES MY OFFICIAL UPDATE-------------------------
    SO i faxed out my affidavit and a copy of my ID, which the company lost, So i resent another copy of it.
    I received a Call today from the company to confirm my replacement claim, WHICH for any of you out their that were told its a $50 deductible, it's not, it's $100, sitll better than buying it for the full price though....

My only hope is that given the initial demand versus production levels, that the insurance company doesn't have any Pre's stockpiled, So I'll probably getting a new one, or ad least a refurbished one

It should be Here tomorrow morning, so it'll be like christmas all over again :P

As soon as i unbox it I'll figure out what the firmware and issue dates are in case any of you are wondering....

ttys
    I have dynamic DNS set up on my phone, so I can SSH into anywhere in the world, track it, delete any data and even brick it (I'll assume the average assailant is not smart enough to use WebOS doctor).
    Abused and battered women's advocates look unkindly on cell phone companies who give out the locations of "lost" phones.

Their lobbyists have out lobbied your lobbyists.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koaltech View Post
    So would we have to uninstall and reinstall this after each update?
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    Abused and battered women's advocates look unkindly on cell phone companies who give out the locations of "lost" phones.

Their lobbyists have out lobbied your lobbyists.
    Abused and battered women should not have their phones billed to the abuser.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koaltech View Post
    all the more reason for me to set this up...

[url= to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog![/url]
    +1. I was just about to post about the hack.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    There was another pre owner about a month ago who held off calling in the theft because she was tracking it on Sprint family locator. Did she ever find her phone??
    Quote Originally Posted by matt olenik View Post
    I have dynamic DNS set up on my phone, so I can SSH into anywhere in the world, track it, delete any data and even brick it (I'll assume the average assailant is not smart enough to use WebOS doctor).
    I have this setup too but it wouldn't help in this situation since the thief was smart enough to turn off the phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have this setup too but it wouldn't help in this situation since the thief was smart enough to turn off the phone.
    Are you sure you didn't clip it onto your swim trunks? And it's now at the bottom of the pool??
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Are you sure you didn't clip it onto your swim trunks? And it's now at the bottom of the pool??
    Did you get me mixed up with the OP? My Pre is safe and sound sitting right here next to me.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It's not about what should be. It's about what is.