Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just setup my Pre and so far it's excellent. However, I'm running into an issue that I'm not quite sure how to solve. Like many people, my Pre is set to play a sound when e-mails come in. I also have an alarm set for the more (again, like many people). Last but not least, I like to sleep at night and I'm sure others do too.

So... any thoughts on how to easily shut off the e-mail notification sound at night? Going through the menu is a major hassle. It might be a good premise for an app that changes the sound settings on a set schedule or on a one-button macro.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I just put mine in Airplane Mode when I don't want notifications
    Just use the vibrate button it does not effect the alarm sounds .but test it first and if it works there you go. I left my vibrate button on and still get alarms so I would think you would too .I believe they did this on purpose . Oh yeah there is a program called silence I think too that turns off all sounds or something as well not sure what exactly it does . Hope this helps ttyl
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Just use the vibrate button it does not effect the alarm sounds .but test it first and if it works there you go. I left my vibrate button on and still get alarms so I would think you would too .I believe they did this on purpose . Oh yeah there is a program called silence I think too that turns off all sounds or something as well not sure what exactly it does . Hope this helps ttyl
    If the "vibrate button" ... or the ringer switch ... doesn't solve the problem, why suggest it??
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    If the "vibrate button" ... or the ringer switch ... doesn't solve the problem, why suggest it??
    The ringer switch does solve it. Alarms, videos, music, sprint nav, and maybe some others will still play when the ringer switch is set to vibrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    The ringer switch does solve it. Alarms, videos, music, sprint nav, and maybe some others will still play when the ringer switch is set to vibrate.
    To clarify: with the ringer mute switch moved over to the right (exposing red), the clock alarm will still play, and notifications such as email, text messages, calendar, and so forth will not. You'll still get them, only without sound.

Additionally, videos, music, sprint nav, and perhaps some other applications will still play sounds. The way I think of it is this: the mute switch only turns off sounds generated by others. Sounds that I generate still play. So, if you're in a meeting and you flick the mute switch to watch some YouTube on the sly, everyone will hear it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the helpful comments. I didn't realize that the ringer switch worked in that fashion. I'm glad someone at Palm was thinking about this scenario.

I didn't mention it in my original post but even at night, I still need to be able to receive calls (alarm at my shop going off, wildfire evacuation robo-calls, etc.). The vibrate mode is nice on the Pre in that it doesn't sound like a coffee grinder (like all my previous phones) but it would never wake me up at night.

Based on what I've read so far it seems that there is no way to do quite exactly what I want. I guess I could use an external Bluetooth external speakerphone box. I'll have to do a think on that one.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else is in the same boat and if some kind of app comes out.

Thanks again!
    This is exactly why I loved chatteremail. I could have a sleep mode (from 11pm to 6am) which would put the email to sleep at night and I could leave the phone on so if an emergency would happen I could hear the ring. I'm really hoping for Palm to get their email up to Chatteremails functionality.
  9.    #9  
    I agree. There should be a notifications manager so you can set things like this up. It's not rocket science and it's really needed on a smartphone, especially as people abandon their home phones in favor of mobiles.

I fell asleep last night and forgot to change the switch. An e-mail came in an hour or so latter and woke us up. My wife was not pleased. I changed the switch and went back to bed. This morning, I missed a phone call.

This is screaming out for an app! Too bad I'm a hardware guy.
  10.    #10  
    Double post
    Last edited by OpenTrackRacer; 09/03/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    This is a must-have. I had PhoneAlarm on my WM phone and I had one-button access to a menu that let me change profiles, and it also changed automatically based on time, light, and GPS locations.
    no 'Thanks'
    This is one of the reasons we need profiles! I would love a CallFilter for the Pre!
  13.    #13  
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because it's been almost half a year and we still have the same problem. I have to say that I love my Pre and I love WebOS but not being able to control this is really annoying. We shouldn't have to choose between missing phone calls and not being woken up in the middle of the night by an e-mail or text message.
    It's fine for me? The issue was resolved a long time ago. Ringer switch switched to vibrate has alarms playing but others not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  15.    #15  
    Did you actually read the whole thread? How does the ringer switch help someone who wants to be woken up for a phone call but not an e-mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    It's fine for me? The issue was resolved a long time ago. Ringer switch switched to vibrate has alarms playing but others not.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    Did you actually read the whole thread? How does the ringer switch help someone who wants to be woken up for a phone call but not an e-mail?
    I did read it but I must have missed that part. There are things called mode switchers which basically you can switch to a different mode where it can be on a different setting when you go to bed, then turn it on a different setting when you wake up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Change your email notification at night to something like the "Subtle" Ringtone in the originals...

Or if you are a little more tech savvy you can do what I did.

I had this same problem... text messages and emails waking me up at night... so I solved it by making my own alert sound for night mode. Basically... I used an application called Audacity to take the "Subtle" ringtone from the phone, and then reduced its native volume to nearly nothing. Then I can leave my ringer on full blast but anything I set to have my night mode sounds neither disturbs with sound, nor vibration.

Since that point I moved into making my own notification sounds entirely... I use all sonar pings (think submarines) for my notifications and calls.

Its not as elegant as a native built in solution... but it works.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because it's been almost half a year and we still have the same problem. I have to say that I love my Pre and I love WebOS but not being able to control this is really annoying. We shouldn't have to choose between missing phone calls and not being woken up in the middle of the night by an e-mail or text message.
    Check out Mode Switcher. The learning curve can be a little steep but it's by far the most useful app out there.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    I don't think any OS has this feature, but are there still no profile-like applications for WebOS?
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    There is a new app that allows you to create profiles, so you could have a "PM Profile."

I think the app is called "Profiles."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast