Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    IMPORTANT: At this time, I must recommend that ANY Bell Palm Pre user turn in their Pre at their Bell Store and get another phone, or buy one at Futureshop with their $10/month insurance. Neither Bell or Palm are willing to support the device. This will turn into many many horror stories over the coming weeks and months, and I doubt you want to be one of them.

Imagine, it's Day 10, you've used your 30 minutes. You go to turn on your Palm Pre, and it won't turn on no matter what you do. You call Palm, and they tell you to go to Bell. You go to Bell, and they tell you that they'll ship you a repair request envelope and a loaner PDA (not a palm pre) for 6-8 weeks. Ridiculous. Sprint customers are at least semi taken care of.

Imagine, it's Month 8. Your screen shatters (it can happen even if you're careful, apparently). Your option? Well hopefully if you bought the insurance, is to pay the $150. Even if the screen shattered on it's own. However, the insurance company CAN and MAY send you a different phone. Because, "THERE IS NO ASSURANCE, REPRESENTATION, OR WARRANTY THAT ANY REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE IDENTICAL OR OFFER THE SAME FUNCTIONALITIES AS THE ITEM BEING REPLACED. REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE NEW OR REFURBISHED, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION."

Here is what to do if your Palm Pre from Bell is faulty:

Bell will NOT replace a Palm Pre in store. Their systems won't allow them to do it. Palm has instituted a STRICT no replacement policy with Bell. This leaves you with 2 options. Cancellation and the Smartphone Insurance.

Cancellation:
    As long as you have not used your phone for longer than 30 days or 30 minutes (whichever comes first...*cough* minutes *cough*) walk into the place of purchase and they'll take everything back. Then, buy another one. Ridiculous, I know, but this is actually what Bell is recommending to me. If you are a little outside this, and cause enough of a fuss, they will still take everything back but instead of a refund, they will will offer you the $199 back as a credit towards your new account and no contract cancellation fee.

Insurance:
    You MUST purchase the insurance before the noteable problems arise or the insurance company will NOT grant your request! The insurance (took me a bit to get the FULL info about this) for $7/month covers manufacturer's defects (aka, no physical damage, water damage, lost or stolen) for 12 months. What this means is that within the 12 month period, you call the Bell Repair Center or go to a Bell repair store, and you pay nothing, and they courrier you a new phone within 3-5 days. You get UNLIMITED of these replacements. At this time I do not know what the minimum issues are in order to get a replacement from the insurance company. After this 12 month period, your request is treated the same as user damage / theft / lost. The smartphone insurance covers loss, theft, or user damage as long as you have your contract. Pay the $150 deductable and they courier you a new phone. You can only do this twice (including manufacturers' defects after 12 months). HOWEVER, IF YOU READ THE CONTRACT IT SAYS THAT THEY CAN SEND YOU A DIFFERENT PHONE WITH THE SAME BASIC FEATURE SET! BE WEARY!
    After cancelling my first contract, as directed by the Bell warranty center, I went into a Bell store to get a new one. I had a look at 5 phones in store, all had some wobble. I bought the one with seemingly the least amount. Mine has no dead pixels, the battery is extremely tight, and the power button is clicky instead of mushy, so I'm pacified. I bought insurance right off the bat so if I have a disaster again, I get a replacement, and I'm not going to be using the phone for phone calls for at least 10 days to ensure that I still fall under the 30 days / 30 minute return clause.

NOTE: It seems that Palm really screwed Bell over. Bell's agreement with Palm is simple. As soon as the device is switched on and activated (at the time of purchase) it CAN NOT be replaced either in store, or by the service center. If the next day, your phone completely melts down and won't turn on, Bell will NOT simply replace it. Bell has NOTHING to do with this policy, and my guess is with all the returns from Sprint plaguing Palm's profitability, they started making the hardware fixes (most noteably the foam pad) to Sprint's phones, and gave Bell the pre-existing stock with the issues, signing them to a no-replacement clause. Bell reps both on the phone and in stores are realizing the situation Palm put them in and aren't pleased.

GOOD LUCK BELL USERS! (You'll need it!)
    Last edited by TheLastOne; 09/08/2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    good to see a success storey. I have a mushy power button and an oreo effect on my pre less than 24 hours old. wthey probably won't replace my Pre but I will try.
  3.    #3  
    Honestly, assuming the tech guy I have wasn't pulling my leg (I have a order number, and his name and employee number), here's my tip for every bell customer looking to replace their Pre (probably won't work for long).

Call outside of regular business hours. The Palm Pre specific tech support closes at 8 or 9. After that you can get to the repair technical support people, who when pushed, may be as kind to you as to me.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I m thinking more and more that I'll try to get a replacement as well.... I have:

Moderate oreo - about 1.5mm
    Mushy power button - I can hear it rattle around if I shake the phone, and it take a few tries to get it to work
    One Dead Pixel
    A 1mm gap between the two halves at the top of the device - tends to 'click' against the bottom when press anything in the top line, i.e. menus, or the battery life/wifi area.
    And my ringer switch is all ****-eyed too.....

I just texted my rep to see what the proceedure was.... but maybe I'll try the method above and see where it leads. Which number did you call and what time?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Just so you know, most of these problems (except the dead pixel issue) have very easy fixes.

1) OREO EFFECT: Press the two halves of the Pre together gently but FIRMLY, putting more pressure at the front four corners. KEEPING PRESSURE, slowly open/close the Pre 1-2x. This engages the sliding mechanism rails better.

2) MUSHY POWER BUTTON: On my Pre, this was the product of the Oreo effect. Once I did the above fix, it worked much better.

3) SLIDER REBOOT: This is due to a known battery wiggle issue. Just wedge a piece of foam at the top edge of the battery. Better yet, I used two tiny beads of hot glue at the top edge of the battery. Let it dry, then re-insert. Works great. Absolutely no wiggle. I find that these solutions work better than pieces of paper that other people are using. (And no, the glue doesn't melt during hot summer days or intensive use.)

Pass the word on...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I've heard of all those fixes... and they didn't work for my pre.... what I might do is turtle3's super glue fix. If I can't get another pre.

My power buttom wiggle seems to be in part becasue of the big gap at the top of my phone. If the two halves at the top were as solid as the bottom, I'd have a lot less wiggle.
  7.    #7  
    Ecode, my phone is nearly identical to yours, it seems .
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    Ecode, my phone is nearly identical to yours, it seems .
    Sounds like it. We might have had phones close in terms of build dates/batches. Knowing that you were able to get a new phone is great news. I'll wait to hear from my rep before calling in though. And I plan on stopping in to a Bel lstore to see if they'll let me compare my phoen with the ones they have in the store. If mine is WAY worse - I'll definitly be replacing it one way or another. Even if I have to wait a week, I can switch back to my treo for 7 days......
    Hey guys I just got my Pre [the wait was worth it] however the only issue im having with my Bell pre is slight oreo about 1.5mm of play. Cant really comment on battery because i just got it but it seems ok.

PS notifications rock on this phone.

I would also like to thank all the people on the board for all the help. This is my first post but I have read these boards twice a day since the phone was released by sprint A+ to the support.
    It sounds that our friends to the North have gotten our early builds that we in the US had gotten early on. My question would be, would were the build dates for your phones?

If you want to check your build dates, bring up you dialer.

Hit ##786# scroll down to WarrantyDatecode. This is where you can check to see if your phone was ever reconditioned.
  11.    #11  
    OK, so I have the full lowdown on Bell's policies regarding the Palm Pre. This is gathered from several customer service / techical service reps in different departments, and from talking to reps in store. There's some good news, some bad.

1) Bell will NOT replace a Palm Pre in store. The replacements/repair are managed by a contracted company, not Bell, and this is the reason.
    2) You have 15 days after your purchase to call the Bell repair center (or go to a Bell repair center store, not any store) and get a new phone shipped to you, no questions asked, no extended warranty for manufacturers defect.
    3) My phone's wobble (pretty significant, about 1.5-2mm) was enough that they were willing to accept it as a manufacturer's defect. That's notwithstanding the mushy/loose power button, the battery wiggle issue, and the dead pixel.
    4) The extended warranty (took me a bit to get the FULL info about this) for $7/month covers manufacturer's defects (aka, no physical damage, water damage, lost or stolen) for 12 months. What this means is that within the 12 month period, you call the Bell Repair Center or go to a Bell repair store, and you pay nothing, and they courrier you a new phone. You get UNLIMITED of these replacements. After this 12 month period, your request is treated the same as below.
    5) The extended warranty covers loss, theft, or user damage as long as you have your contract. Pay the $150 deductable and they courier you a new phone. You can only do this twice (including manufacturers' defects after 12 months).

The moral of the story is, you can not walk into any Bell store and expect an instant replacement. This is a shame. However, they are willing to send out brand new Pres to your house under the terms above.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    It sounds that our friends to the North have gotten our early builds that we in the US had gotten early on. My question would be, would were the build dates for your phones?

If you want to check your build dates, bring up you dialer.

Hit ##786# scroll down to WarrantyDatecode. This is where you can check to see if your phone was ever reconditioned.
    My WarrantyDateCode is 8/14/2009. Flower box.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    My WarrantyDateCode is 8/14/2009. Flower box.
    Ditto. This is info from your curent phone that is getting replaced correct?
  14.    #14  
    Yes it is. I'm expecting the new phone tomorrow, I will provide its stats when I receive it.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Great update above.

Now - how do you locate the Bell Repair stores? And what number do you call?
  16.    #16  
    *611 from your phone, then when the lady asks what you want, say repair. There are other ways to get there but it's VERY annoying. I hate that automated system, I usually just end up mashing 0 .

Here is the list of service centers:
    http://www.bell.ca/web/wireless/en/a...ce_centres.pdf
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I'm on hold right now for a repair person..... lets see how this goes....
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    I'm on hold right now for a repair person..... lets see how this goes....
    Good luck .
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Mhm... the guy just told me to go into the Bell store at the Eaton center. I will try that. However yesterday a girl there told me that I had to ship the phone out to get a replacement..... so we'll see what they say today. I'll report back tonight.

EDIT: Got a reply from my rep. He can apparently put a repair request in and get a new pre shipped to me just as you mention above. I will probably do that. I am still going to hop into a couple stores today at the eaton center (there are two) and compare my pre to their demos, and any other phone that they will let me. If I still think mine is in worse condish than the majority, I'll have my rep get a new one to me and we'll swap it over.
    Last edited by Ecode; 09/01/2009 at 03:16 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Haha Bell is now telling me the time it will take to send me the phone s 5-10 business days. Bell may just be the worst company I've ever dealt with. I'm very close to cancelling out of my contract within the 30 day clause.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast