Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I have some news. I went to both Bell stores in the Eaton center and showed them my Pre. BOTH reps thought I'd be better off exchanging them. So I have a new one coming.

I took the chance to check the two demo models in the stores. Both were built between Jul 10-14. And both were solid as a rock - no gaps around the halves, very little oreo. That was a good sign.

Conveniently, bell is running a kiosk for the Pre on the main level. I checked 6 pre's there, all were solid - no oreo and no gaps. All were built July 10-14. I checked one that DID have oreo - and it was built July 20.

So what I can determine is somewhere between July15th and Aug 14th quality took a dive, as both theLastOne and I had Aug 14th phones that were crappy builds. Fingers crossed that I get a better build and when they check the phone at the repair center that chalk it up to manufacturers defect.

Lastly, apparently, the repair center requests get filled 'whenever.' Even my rep said he doesn't know when the phone could get here... maybe next day, maybe next week. I don't mind though - I'll just have to keep extra careful watch on my current pre to make sure it still in mint condition when it goes back.

Also - the stores were blown away by the tweaks I had on my phone.... lol...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    The moral of the story is, you can not walk into any Bell store and expect an instant replacement. This is a shame. However, they are willing to send out brand new Pres to your house under the terms above. Also, if you aren't happy with your phone, act QUICKLY and don't hesitate.
    Actually, you can exchange your phone in a Bell store. I know this because they did that with my phone. If your phone has less then 30min of conversation time or was purchased less then 30 days, you can request a refund. They don't like refunds so they will accept your exchange.

Still, the most reliable way to exchange your phone with no questions asked is at Future Shop. The first 14 days, they will do it for you. They also accept that you look at multiple phones, until you get one you like. Read my story, for more details (and report the vBSEOvBSEOvBSEO $bug$ $for$ $the$ $link$ $not$ $working$):
    forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/200706-buying-my-pre-tomorrow-what-should-i-look.html#post1863044

DO NOT ACCEPT a crappy phone, from the start. It is your right to get a good product, when you pay $200+ for a phone. If they tell you cannot open several boxes, well don't buy the phone because you have 75% chances to get a bad phone. The exchange system does not work, IMO. You have big chances to end up with a worst phone, like I did.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/01/2009 at 10:17 PM.
    I have date code 8/14/2009. I might stop in tomorrow and get it looked at. but i dont know if 2mm of wobble is reason to bring it in. Im almost worried ill get a worse phone
    I just opened up my Bell Pre and it has a date code of 8/16/2009 and all is well.

Still, I'm keeping my eye on the 30 day clock just in case.
  5.    #25  
    Keep your eye on the 30 minutes more. Typically that will happen MUCH faster.

Misasi, 2mm to start out is pretty much as bad as they come, and rest assured they WILL get worse from there. Best act quickly.

T3CK, while there is a good possibility of getting a worse phone, for many of us this is our only option. If I have to do a warranty replacement of the new phone again, I'll be happy to. It's not as if I'm phoneless at the moment .
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    I have date code 8/14/2009. I might stop in tomorrow and get it looked at. but i dont know if 2mm of wobble is reason to bring it in. Im almost worried ill get a worse phone
    I will bet you have a phone from the same batch as LastOne and I - get it replaced. 2mm is a GIGANTIC amount of wobble compared even to the demo phones that Bell has in thier stores. Just pop in and check a couple of thier demos. You'll see what I mean.

Keep your eye on the 30 minutes more. Typically that will happen MUCH faster.

Misasi, 2mm to start out is pretty much as bad as they come, and rest assured they WILL get worse from there. Best act quickly.

T3CK, while there is a good possibility of getting a worse phone, for many of us this is our only option. If I have to do a warranty replacement of the new phone again, I'll be happy to. It's not as if I'm phoneless at the moment .
    I concur, I'll be sending the warranty replacement phone back to them if its worse than my current one.... and we'll do the whole thing over again until I get one with no wobble, as I KNOW they exist.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I would recommend calling Palm tech support and discussing the issue's with them. If there unable to fix your problem ie. hardware etc... they seem to recommend exchanging the device giving you a file #. I've taken in my first Pre back to FS for the oreo effect and software issues and was exchanged on the spot. Unfortunately, the second Pre i received has Wifi issues (crashing system) and some sort of ghosting on the screen. After calling Palm tech support they recommended exchanging this Pre with apologies. Not a big deal understanding a brand new design.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ^^^ Bell doesn't seem to share Palm's understanding though....
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Ya, you are right. I'm afraid that Bell will stop this replace practice soon and we are screwed. Technically, they can say: "Well the phone works as it is with a little Oreo or a lose power button. When it falls off, call us and we will replace it" (like they did to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    ^^^ Bell doesn't seem to share Palm's understanding though....
    Did they say anything to you?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Did they say anything to you?
    Not in so many words... but the rep on the phone didn't sound too concerned that it was a new product with potential for issues....
  11.    #31  
    Actually PALM is at fault at the moment. It is their policy that has forced bell not to replace phones
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    They seem to be fine with Sprint repacing phones in store though?
    Last edited by Ecode; 09/02/2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    The store manager told me that he has to pay $150 for each phone he needs to send out for replacement (not sure if this is true, but still). That's why he never really wanted to do a swap in the store, the first time. When he saw that I want my money back, he changed his mind. So it might not be Palm the culprit, after all.
    side note: Ive been to the Eaton center a few years back....sucha beautiful place.

I love Canada, friendly people and atmosphere
  15.    #35  
    It's very simple. Palm, realizing they had build quality issues, when they signed their deal, Bell signed a NO replacement agreement. Then they proceeded to give Bell phones with known issues knowing they couldn't be replaced easily.

This is 100% a Palm screwing Bell scenario. Even Bell knows it.
    Last edited by TheLastOne; 09/02/2009 at 04:17 PM.
  16.    #36  
    Massive update to first page. God help us all.
    I got my Pre through Future Shop and made sure to sign up for the $10 a month warranty that they provide; paying $10 a month gives me the ability to exchange my phone for a brand new one if there is a manufacturing defect in my current one. For $3 extra per month compared to dealing with Bell directly, I'd say that being able to get a brand new phone rather than having to send it off for a few weeks to get it repaired is a much better option.
  18.    #38  
    Actually, Brandon, the $7 insurance with Bell provides the same service.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Be careful with the Bell insurance. I called customer service and they said they can opt for a similar phone model, they don't have to sent you the same phone model. Confirm with them also and let us know.
  20.    #40  
    Haha I'm going to do some research on that to determine whether or not that's actually the case...

And you're right. There is no guarantee you'd get a Palm Pre back. Right about now, with Bell I'm wondering if that might actually be a good thing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast