Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. sumitk's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was with AT&T for the longest time where SMS was way too expensive and I never got into the habit of SMSing. With Sprint's plan I now have unlimited SMS, but no idea how to make use of that, esp. given the data plan. I'm not going to SMS my wife, we prefer to talk, email or chat, all of which I can do on the Pre.

    Is there any service that's better suited for SMS than data? How do you use the unlimited SMS on the Pre?
  2. Gompers's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #2  
    Um, you text people. Friends maybe?

    Thats the point of it.
  3. hydes2004's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #3  
    if you spam an iphone, say with 50 texts in a row, they will lock up.
  4. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #4  
    you can also use it to add stuff to google calendar or search google, even when the data is slow (i.e. in roaming areas)?

    or you can turn your wife on to texting, it saves a lot of headaches from nagging on phone calls by allowing you to reply to them as necessary
  5. #5  
    I make sure most of my clients know that they can text me with questions or to make appointments. Since i am in technology consulting, a lot of my clients have some type of smartphone. It is very handy!
    visit us at www.tdscomputer.com
  6. rockyjay's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #6  
    I get Twitter updates all day with SMS, plus I use it to chat on Yahoo IM till the Pre gets a Yahoo app.
  7. #7  
    You can subscribe to ESPN text alerts as well as most major news outlets and weather. It's great! Just make sure your "short codes" are unblocked.
  8. #8  
    I find that I now pretty much text my *** off I spent so many years texting conservatively and asking people not to text ME, not wanting that overage charge, so when I forced into the new plan for the Pre, things that I'd normally use for a 1 minute call turn into a text message. I haven't tried using any services that use SMS though, might have to poke around for something like that.
  9. #9  
    Something like Google News alerts is a fine option if you really want to put texts to use.
  10. sumitk's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #10  
    Aren't all of these suggestions poor replacements for an online application of some sort? Any place where SMS really shines?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitkishore View Post
    Aren't all of these suggestions poor replacements for an online application of some sort? Any place where SMS really shines?
    how are getting sms notifications a poor replacement for opening multiple applications or native apps running in the BG draining your battery?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    you can also use it to add stuff to google calendar or search google, even when the data is slow (i.e. in roaming areas)?

    or you can turn your wife on to texting, it saves a lot of headaches from nagging on phone calls by allowing you to reply to them as necessary
    That doest work with me, I still receive nagging in texting else well, its a free service that comes with unlimited texting
  13. #13  
    I use texting when I just need to tell someone something, that doesn't really require a conversation.

    Also, I collect coke points. It is much easier to txt the codes in than going to the website.
  14. #14  
    It's great in meetings or anytime you don't want to be overheard.
    Long Live Palm
  15. #15  
    The Op, bewildered by the message texting asks for suggestions and then rebuts them. nice.
  16. #16  
    You're basically constrained by the other party unless you know they've got unlimited or MMS. My wife keeps sending pics to me (iphone) and i keep telling her to stop and email instead. lol
  17. #17  
    My friends and I text addresses to eachother as it's much more accurate than calling. Plus noone needs to find a piece of paper. Also when I need to tell multiple people the same time or address, or message it's much easier with one text vs. multiple phone calls. Especially if some of the people are talkers and wont' let you off the phone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitkishore View Post
    I was with AT&T for the longest time where SMS was way too expensive and I never got into the habit of SMSing. With Sprint's plan I now have unlimited SMS, but no idea how to make use of that, esp. given the data plan. I'm not going to SMS my wife, we prefer to talk, email or chat, all of which I can do on the Pre.

    Is there any service that's better suited for SMS than data? How do you use the unlimited SMS on the Pre?
    It probably doesn't apply for you, but one of the things that's helped keep me on Sprint for so is unlimited text. I need that because I have systems that are monitored with tools that send me text messages (SMS) when there are issues. Though the plan is not to have issues, when they happen I can suddenly receive dozens of text messages. If I can't get to it right away, the dozens may turn into hundreds before I can get somewhere were I can take care of the problem. That's OK, it's what I set the systems up to do. However, I don't want to pay .10 each for them.
  19. nowise's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #19  
    Try texting while driving, its really fun.

    I ask everyone to text me if possible because I hate talking on phones after working years in customer service.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post
    Try texting while driving, its really fun.
    ...
    Now this guy's got talent:



    No common sense, but talent...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions