Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been using text messages for years...Love them!

Okay...so here are some things that have contributed my "need" for Sprint's unlimited text messaging:
    • Texting people about the little things: For communications that are basically simple questions for info, or simple answers to questions (e.g., "when and where are we meeting?"). Or that don't require a reply: "Happy birthday, dude! Hope you're rockin' it today."
    • Texting people: updates, like "I'm running late, but I'm on my way." "We're moving dinner from 6pm to 7pm, and from Chuck E Cheese to Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse."
    • Combining factors from above: Coordinating ad hoc or little group plans, "Who's in for dinner at 7pm? At Ruth's Chris' Steak House. LMK so I can get our reservation in the ballpark."
    • Texting people: flirting with your significant other...or a candidate for that appointed office.
    • Signing up for notifications: Facebook can notify you when you get poked, wall-posted, tagged in a photo, receive an inbox message, tons of other stuff. Google voice can notify you when you get a voicemail and it can even send you a transcript of your voicemail. Southwest and other airlines can send you a text message with updates about the status of your flights (delayed, cancelled, assigned a gate, etc.). Sure, these can be done by fuller applications...but then fuller applications have to be written and available.
    • Discreet communication: When I want to communicate something or ask a question, but I'm in a meeting, and the person I need to talk to is not.
    • Discreet communication: when I'm attending a presentation, and I don't feel like paying super-close attention, a text conversation can be a welcome diversion.
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 09/01/2009 at 04:31 PM.
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this....when you want to be notified that a new message has been posted on PreCentral on your favorite threads!

I also like it to be notified of new Facebook messages.

I'm plus one with the person who was in cust. svc for years. Ditto here and I'll text or email over talking on the phone any day of the week!
    I would also like to know what a really good use for SMS would be.

I mean beside the obvious "Texting People..."

I used to do twitter a little but it's really a horrible site full of nonsense so I gave up on that...
    Don't forget you can vote hundreds of times for your favorite American Idol contestant. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this....when you want to be notified that a new message has been posted on PreCentral on your favorite threads!

I also like it to be notified of new Facebook messages.

I'm plus one with the person who was in cust. svc for years. Ditto here and I'll text or email over talking on the phone any day of the week!
    I've never heard of getting those notifications by text. I only get mine by e-mail.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've never heard of getting those notifications by text. I only get mine by e-mail.
    Let's say your phone number is 888-555-1234
    Set your "email notification" to 8885551234 atsign messaging.sprintpcs.com (doesn't apply to Bell folks of course. You guys will need to figure yours out.)
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    My friends and I text addresses to eachother as it's much more accurate than calling. Plus noone needs to find a piece of paper. [snip!]
    Also, especially if you're driving, say, when I ask someone over the phone for a phone number...I always ask if they could maybe text it to me, since I'm driving... That way, I don't need to write anything down, I don't have to take my hands off the wheel, and if want to call them, I can just click the number vs. having to remember or read it off of a piece of paper and dialing it...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    pipe your log output to sms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12