Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am very surprised that no one had developed a pedometer for this device as of yet... No GPS needed, just use the accelerometers and a simple input field for stride length for starters..

Anyone???

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Whats wrong with:

What happens when you don't have GPS access? (Indoor track.. etc?) GPS signals are not always available outdoors also. (I own 2 different ones that i've used for this purpose and if you carry it in your back pocket it will lose signal) I think using the accelerometers (with adjustable stride input field) would have been a better all around solution...
    I think that the default accelerometer sample rate of 2Hz (or is it 4Hz) may be too slow to detect paces.
    Last edited by johncc; 09/01/2009 at 09:30 PM.
    pedo...meter?
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    pedo...meter?
    Pedometer. Don't get perverse.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I think that the default accelerometer sample rate of 2Hz maybe too slow to detect paces.
    I would assume that is software adjustable?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamryn View Post
    BUMP!
    Wow I was just thinking about this
    you guys think that measuring input TWO THOUSAND times per second is too slow to use as a pedometer? I doubt that.

wait, not MHz? wow, I would have never thought it was that slow... hrm
    no 'Thanks'
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    you guys think that measuring input TWO THOUSAND times per second is too slow to use as a pedometer? I doubt that.

wait, not MHz? wow, I would have never thought it was that slow... hrm
    MHz = Million, not thousand btw

Quote Originally Posted by Tamryn View Post

It IS software adjustable, but not at the Mojo level. Which means that without a custom service, you can not currently change the sampling rate of 4HZ.

However, I have already created a custom service to allow Mojo applications to change the sampling rate from anywhere between 1 and 1000HZ.

Application:AccelService - WebOS Internals

I hope anyone interested in creating a service that requires a higher sampling rate, sees this and doesn't just put off their ideas.
    Has anyone got a pedometer going yet? My last phone, the SE 580i, had a running pedometer in the bottom left of the screen that always showed how many steps you'd taken that day. Would love a similar thing for the Pre. I obviously can't depend on GPS to track all my steps in the office, mall, etc.
    I'm vaguely tempted. However it would likely take enough effort to do right that I'd want to charge a buck or two per device. If I used the accel service, it would have to be open source under GPL v2...

I imagine that Palm wouldn't be keen on releasing apps through the catalog that contain custom services though.

Writing the app would be good motivation to get out and walk more. ;-)
    Last edited by elight; 10/18/2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elight View Post
    I'm vaguely tempted. However it would likely take enough effort to do right that I'd want to charge a buck or two per device.
    The ought part would be the licensing and distribution because you'd be using things that are not available in the official SDK, so you'd have to wait for palm to implement their OSS installation through private websites I've heard talk about.

Charging a buck or two shouldn't be an issue since JogStats is $4.99 in the app catalog, and a good quality pedometer is around $15-$25 bucks.
    Right, that's the kicker. If I were to use the accel service, I couldn't put it in the app catalog until Palm integrates the accel service or provides a way to distribute it through the app catalog as well.
    All,

I am working on a pedometer app and should be releasing in couple of days. It has couple of limitations (major ones) because of palm. Foremost is that the accel service stops working when the screen turns off! and so have to use the undocumented api to keep the screen on which leads to battery drain. Secondly, the rate the data comes (4Hz) is not enough for accurate step count, so I am seeing between 8-10% off in the accuracy (mostly it is missing the step count).

Anyway you can use this app (preferably) when you take time out for a walk. I did not make this app to run in the background yet!

Please let me know if anyone is interested so at least i get little boost .

Thanks
    M
    Last edited by solaimadhan; 10/26/2009 at 12:29 PM.