View Poll Results: Number Lookup

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea! I've been waiting for something like this.

14 73.68%
  • Who cares? I'll just slide up the keyboard/I'm still confused as to what you mean...

2 10.53%
  • Options are good. I'm open to development on this

3 15.79%
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I had this feature on my old Windows Mobile Mogul, where if I started dialing a number using the keypad, the phone would do a reverse lookup on the numbers entered and match them to contacts on the phone, and also allow you to spell contact names according to the letters. The list would shrink as you got more specific. I used this sometimes because Sprint's voicemail would announce the number a message came from, even if you had the contact stored. Sometimes I wouldn't recognize the number, so I would enter the number into the dialer program, and contact list would dwindle down until it had a perfect match.

If I'm confusing you, let's say you wanted to look up Ashley, who's number was 646-570-0770.

In Universal Search, you could type "Ashley" and she would come up, obviously. But if you started to type in "646 570", all that would come up in US would be a dialing tap area, and the Find submenu below it. I just found out right now that typing in the entire number actually does show the contact, but I'd like a list of numbers matching the string as you type it show up in real time.

In the dialer, using the numbers on the physical keypad doesn't show a list of numbers, even if you type out the entire number. In number mode (using the orange key), the numbers are entered into the keypad, with no contact recognition. In letter mode, the only way a contact is pulled up is if you type a matching letter string for the contact, and even if you type (For example) "gdg fx@@xx@" (646 570 0770), ashley doesn't show up, just "No Results", and the number above that under a "Send to number" heading.

The reason why I'd like to see this is sometimes I'd like to be able to quickly bring up the phone app and type out "2745" for "ASHL" to bring up her name, and tap it for dialing, instead of having to open the keyboard and type out her name, then tap it.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    wow, i just got my pre and i was searching high and low to be able to do this. This really should be a default for any dialer. The ability to type out either a name or number and call up a result box should have been included in the dialer. I hope someone smarter than myself comes up with this soon.
    I know I missed this on my WinMo phones. One thing though is this a feature that Microsoft might have patented? I haven't seen any other phone do this yet.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    It might be an HTC feature, but regardless, it would be welcome. I'm tired of having to open the keyboard to quickly type someone's name to call them. Bump to the top! Someone should be able to implement this in the dialer.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Buump...
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I hardly memorize anyone number, so its not something I would use.

Besides, how is this more efficient than entering in the first few letters of a contacts last name?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I hardly memorize anyone number, so its not something I would use.

Besides, how is this more efficient than entering in the first few letters of a contacts last name?
    Not having to slide out the keyboard. Doing everything via the touch screen.

Palm Pre!
    Would love this! Was dissapointed the pre didn't have it.
    Bump
    You could add an entry to universal search or change Twitter to White Pages. That way you type in a number and hit Find and then White Pages. If you look at WebOS Internals there's a way you can do that.
    can anyone make a patch for this?
    any progress on this? It is useful for many users.