Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    im 99.99% sure you are wrong... its not just a coincidence that all these people with metal shavings on their speaker have a busted speaker
    I agree - while at work (laser cutting shop) my phone stays up front in my office 95% of the time (though plenty of metal dust makes it up here too), and is on vibrate all day anyways. At home when I turn the ringer back on I leave the volume at two bars below max. On my latest replacement phone I did try the break-in procedure, very much hoping to avoid the same speaker problems yet again. I looped a couple dozen mp3's all night (about 8 hours) starting off at somewhere around half-volume where there was absolutely no distortion. Increased the volume each subsequent night by one bar, and I think ended up stopping one bar below max because the level of distortion was already scaring me. Currently, the speaker distorts fairly heavily at the top two volume levels, and sounds much quieter than it should at any volume level. Curiously, the earpiece speaker lately has also been exceedingly quiet at max volume, though not distorted.
    I think itís pretty clear that speaker break-in is not the issue as I also have had my pre replaced due to speaker failure via metal shavings in the screen. The first time I brought my pre in for this concern they replaced it with a refurbished one the same day. The sprint guy assured me that my pics, music, notepad info and apps would all reboot with the palm backup. Obviously only the contacts, calendar events and some of the notepad data transferred. But thatís a different story.

Shortly after I reloaded my refurb pre with apps, tweaks and a theme I happened to drop it and it put a small chip in the corner of the phone. Now, 4 month later, I went in to have the phone exchange because of the speaker problem and was denied because of the chip (phone abuse). My pre speaker was almost totally silent. Since my warranty is useless and I donít want to pay the $100 for a claim just yet here is what I did. .

I removed the back cover. Then with a small x-acto knife I cut the screen off of the top of the speaker. I then magnetized a very small flat tipped screwdriver by rubbing it over a big 12Ē speaker magnet. Then I gently used the screwdriver tip to pull a fine metal dust away from the outer edge (orange-ish dome under the screen) of the pre speaker. Each time I had some dust on the screwdriver tip I wiped it off with a paper towel. I tested the speaker and it was a lot louder than when I started. I cleaned more dust and the speaker is as good as new (or very very close to it) The whole process took about 20 minutes.
    Good tip about the magnetized screwdriver. I guess compressed air cans are not powerful enough. After two pres losing rear speakers, I realized it was related to my workplace, metal shavings in the air are attracted to the speaker from grinding steel. So as soon as I got a pre with a good speaker, I cut a small round piece of 3/16 thick black foam. Made sure it was slighly larger than the pre speaker and placed it between the pre and battery cover. After being squished for several days, it now remains in place even if I have to remove the back cover. I don't notice any degradation of sound quality. The original speaker grill is not effective at keeping these metal particles away from the magnet. Anyone who works in machine shop enviroments should do this. O2 excursion, do you have no grill now? I considered applying my new speaker cover to the inside of the pre back cover. With no grill, my solution may not work for you as it may restrict movement of the speaker.
    Last edited by tamaran-2000; 03/31/2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
    I've got the world in my Palm !!
    Tamaran - that is correct. no more screen over the speaker. I placed a heavyduty paper towel over the opening and will see how that works.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Great tip 02excursion, worked for me! Of course, the couple of times I accidentally jabbed the speaker with the screwdriver probably didn't help matters..

I also ran a strong magnet across the opening for the earpiece speaker on the front of the phone and pulled out a pile of metal shavings the size of a watermelon. I can finally hear callers on the other end again!
    Quote Originally Posted by 02excursion View Post
    I removed the back cover. Then with a small x-acto knife I cut the screen off of the top of the speaker. [...] Then I gently used the screwdriver tip to pull a fine metal dust away from the outer edge (orange-ish dome under the screen) of the pre speaker. Each time I had some dust on the screwdriver tip I wiped it off with a paper towel. I tested the speaker and it was a lot louder than when I started. I cleaned more dust and the speaker is as good as new (or very very close to it) The whole process took about 20 minutes.
    I just did the same, except I took the whole thing apart to get better access to the speaker. Even removed the little plastic ring that covers the speaker cone.

It worked great! Loud and clear again. Well, as loud and clear as when it was new anyway.

Now, where do I get hold of that black tape that other manufacturers cover their speakers with? The stock grille doesn't seem to work that well.

Just for kicks I opened my old Treo 650 while the Pre was booting, and found a forest of rusty little metal trees planted in the black tape around the speaker. The Pre:s grille had no visible metal at all on it.

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    GREAT TIP!

I thought you were joking about pieces the size of watermelons until i tapped the ear piece against the magnet area of my touchstone. Good gawd! Also i did the small magnetic tip of screwdriver thingy to clean out the back speaker before i had read this thread and it fixed it right up.

Thanks everybody!
    My speaker blew a couple months ago and finally got it to the sprint repair shop. They gave me a replacement Pre(it's my 3rd now first one I dropped and the screen froze).

I also work around metal at times and noticed the shavings in the speaker of my last Pre. So today to protect the new one, I put tape on the speaker grille on underside of the cover and I cut a piece of extra filter we had in the shop in to shape of the speaker.
    I
    I hope this lasts until the next WebOS phone or until my contract runs out and it's time for a new phone.
    My speaker died a few days ago so I have to wait to get Palm to replace. I hardly ever use the speaker and it just started to sounds very quit and now it sounds very bad no matter the volune or what I try.

Very disappointed in the reliability of the Pre...
    Adding to the metal shavings list.
    My husband has lost 2 Treos and 1 PrePlus to the metal shavings.

He's a mechanic who works on brake systems a lot and he also works on racecars on the side. Glad I read this thread, going to doctor his new phone with something to prevent the metal shavings from coming in in the future!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I also do alot of steel cutting and grinding and i have had 4 returns in the last 6 months and 6 in the last year all speaker problems. Love my phone but it gets old best think ive done is started leaving my phone somewhere else when im cutting or grinding.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thanks for the insight. I on occasion do some metal fab.

I bought my pre+ from eBay in February so no warranty. I remember the speaker being fairly loud then. As of recently it has been almost silent.

I pulled the 6 tork screws from the back. Carefully split the case ( the volume buttons need to stay with the phone). I removed the speaker. Then I gently split the speaker grill from the base. The inner ring was solid with metal dust. Using an eyeglass screwdriver I removed most of the shavings. I then at point blank range blasted the ring with an HCFC solvent to remove the rest.
    On my first assembly I didn't notice that I had bent one of the speaker tabs.

It now works great..............

I put a common paper towel in between the back cover and the speaker grill. Hope it filers out the dust.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234