Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have a cabinet making business... have a lot of sawdust, no metal shavings though. I also manage to keep my pre pretty dust free. going on phone #4 for the speaker problem. never had a speaker go on any device before. I love the pre, but this totally sucks. can't hear the phone ring, alarms go ff etc. I wonder f this was a known issue from the start, thus the reason fr such a low system volume..
    Wow..all this metal shaving dust, sounds pretty dangerous for your health. Better check out your lungs, though I'm sure the magnet in the speaker is attracting it more than just you breathing it in. I have no solution for your metallic dust in the Pre but it does sound like a pretty scary issue for your health.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So this post blew my mind because i thought i was the only one with speaker woes. And funny that it turns out i also work around metal fabrication, where there's a lot of metal shavings and dust in the air. Now I'm on my second pre in two months both with blown external speakers. My first one best buy simply replaced but now they say that I'm out of my thirty days so they cant replace it again. Will sprint repair my phone or am i SOL? P.S. i defiantly tried the sucking in on the speaker thing yea it worked sounded perfect, which means blown speaker
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerson View Post
    I too have had the same misfortune with metal shavings destroying my loud speaker. However this is not my first rodeo, I have had to replace the speaker in my BB curve twice. Has anyone had luck finding replacement parts? I found a great site with instructions on how to disassemble the pre ( rapidrepair.com ) but have had no luck finding a new speaker. How are you others getting free replacments? Sprint told me it would be 100 to make an Insurance claim... ***? If I can get a speaker for less than 10 like I did with my BB I'd much rather do that. Any insite would be awsome. Deffinatly gonna try the paper towel trick though.
    My sprint store replaces mine for free with a refurb each time. Maybe we all keep trading phones with each other? LOL

I put a piece of tape on the inside of the speaker phone cover and it has not faded yet. I am on my second week now with my new phone. Sprint told me that they have been giving this advice to all that are having the problem in my area. We all get them replaced for free since it is a known issue and not abuse. The magnet for the speaker is just too strong and the screen does not filter it out well enough.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I like the tape idea, prevent the shavings from getting under the cover at all. I had a little piece of paper towel in there since I got my most recent replacement, and just took a look to see how it was doing, and it was completely covered in little metal shavings! And this is after I've completely stopped taking my phone out into the shop with me. Crazy. But at least the speaker's still working!

Of course, now that I'm trying it out, the tape muffles the ringer an awful lot. I thought maybe it was just the thicker electrical tape I tried first, but even the thin scotch tape does it too. Masking tape too. Hmm.. maybe that's just the price you pay!
    i now have a blown speaker on my 1 week old refurb. dont work with metal shavings either not sure whats wrong with mine. The only thing i can think of is i let someone use my phone and he dropped it onto blacktop and the next day it started sounding like crap maybe a coincidence maybe not but now i gotta try and get it replaced
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Well I'm a welder and I just got my second replacement for what I thought was a blown speaker. I guess it's just metal dust getting attached to the magnet. I'm gonna try the scotch tape thing and if it's too muffled I'm gonna use the paper towel trick.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    And it's only a week old... Is it too late to syncronize the pre once it's loaded up? How can you get any apps back you bought?

G..
    I am fairly certain that this issue doesn't have much to do with the metal shavings.

On launch day, I went to my local Sprint store to play with the Pre... I could tell the external speaker sounded like crap. Between that, no SDK, financial constraints... I decided not to get it. Other software and hardware issues seem to mostly be gone, but I highly doubt that Palm upgraded the speaker all of a sudden.

I would imagine that replacing the speaker yourself would be a far better use of your time. Anybody have suggestions for a part # fora replacement speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I am fairly certain that this issue doesn't have much to do with the metal shavings.

On launch day, I went to my local Sprint store to play with the Pre... I could tell the external speaker sounded like crap. Between that, no SDK, financial constraints... I decided not to get it. Other software and hardware issues seem to mostly be gone, but I highly doubt that Palm upgraded the speaker all of a sudden.

I would imagine that replacing the speaker yourself would be a far better use of your time. Anybody have suggestions for a part # fora replacement speaker?
    For me it was Metal shavings/dust like material. The tape muffles it, but as stated by someone else above it is worth it just to keep the same phone. I tried a small piece of foam prior to that as well but the stuff still made it in.

To replace the speaker would be a pain in the *** and would likely just **** me off.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just noticed last night that my touchstone had a pile of metal shavings stuck to it above one of its magnets, apparently from sliding the speaker area of my phone across it as I put it on the charger. Might be a good selling point if they advertise the touchstone as helping clean out the speaker and prevent the problem we've all had
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I find this thread fascinating! A couple thoughts have occured to me:

1) As a seasoned Mom of 2 kids, putting tape over the speaker of annoyingly loud toys has LONG been a tactic of desperate parents. So it makes total sense that it would muffle the sound.

2) Could you not use a very strong magnet to clean the shavings off the speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDramaMama View Post
    I find this thread fascinating! A couple thoughts have occured to me:

1) As a seasoned Mom of 2 kids, putting tape over the speaker of annoyingly loud toys has LONG been a tactic of desperate parents. So it makes total sense that it would muffle the sound.

2) Could you not use a very strong magnet to clean the shavings off the speaker?
    I tried that with a little success. It was too late though. I replaced my tape and it was nasty.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Well - I need to get phone #3 coming now... I should have checked back here to see the ideas about the paper towel and/or tape...

I have been very careful with the phone and actually put in in my hip-pocket (where I thought it would be protected from metal dust).. Lasted longer but it's pretty screwed up again..

I've also read reports that the WebOS software has been modified to turn the volume down on the speaker. Heck - even when the speaker was good it's still not loud enough for use in a shop environment.. With all the equipment I'm around - the vibration mode rarely gets my attention..

Oh and to the people that may be worried about our health ::
    1) Most of us usually wear eye & ear protection along with a breather.
    2) I can cough - my Pre' can't..

---bottom line for me---
    I'm going to get it replaced and then give it to my wife (who works in an office). Then I'll buy a phone that really works the way it should have in the first place..

I've had Palm phones since the first Treo-300. Palm, you just lost a customer.
    Regards - Randy

Factory Five Racing - Challenge Series - Car #7

Carriage House Custom Automotive
    just had this happen to me, glad I'm not the only one...
    my speaker just went out as well. I don't work in a metal shop either.
    and I've mentioned it in other threads.

_-=* I think your problem comes from not breaking in the speaker *=-_

Breaking in speakers is not a myth. If you take it easy on them, any speaker will perform better in a number of ways. If you you're bumpin' the beats at MAX volume (something metal workers have in common, apparently )... then you will then you could possibly tear these small speakers up. I mentioned that a launch day Pre had a blown speaker at 10~11 am when I'd gotten there... so that's why I'm almost certain it comes from people blowing the thing at MAX before letting ANY music or even static burn in the speakers while looping or whatever.

There's a dozen streaming radio apps... just let it go half volume all night... then 70 percent another night... then 90% the next night... then see if 100% sounds good to you after that!! I can finally play 100% whereas I tried for a split second when I first got my Pre and it was nowhere near the optimum sound it is now.

Not saying that Palm doesn't need to beef up their external speaker!! But all things need to be broken in properly... speakers, motors, headphones, air compressors........ women
    Mine went as well. Waiting on a replacement.
    How many of you use a touchstone? I thought my speaker failure was initially due to metal. I haven't been anywhere that might get metal shavings, as my work life has changed (sweet). I NEVER play music on mine, nor do I use the speakerphone. If anything has blown my speaker it is my alarm or my ringtone @ 80% volume. I have wondered if the touchstone has anything to do with my problems. I know the speaker is an electromagnet, and the touchstone SHOULDN'T mess anything up, but everytime I've noticed it starting to sound bad, it was on my touchstone and my wake up alarm (triangle) is going off.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Have one, never used it, not once. 2nd Pre, replaced through Palm, seems to be doing fine. About 12 weeks old now . . . Although Ive hardly used the external speaker since. I did tape a small piece of tissue/cotton mix type paper to the underside of the battery door to filter the speaker grill. Had same issue with the speaker on my Centro now that i think about it. Phone has some pretty serious oreo movement and kind of grinds or snags when trying to slide it open. Ive quit caring though. Moving to England tuesday. No use for a CDMA over there. Any bidders ! Have a touch stone w/out battery door also . . .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast