Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, my first post on these forums, I have registered simply to express my fears over the Pre in the UK with regards to its price.

O2 have finally released the Samsung Galaxy in the UK which is an android device with the same hardware as the HTC Magic but with a better camera putting it in-between the HTC Magic and the new HTC Hero / T-mobile G2 touch both of which are available for free on 18 month contracts for around £35 a month on their respective networks. Yet to my shock O2 are pricing the Galaxy at £96 upfront and then £34.26 a month which is the same as the iPhone 3G 8GB , and worst of all you there is NO FREE WIFI like you get with the iPhone!

If O2 see the Galaxy as par with the iPhone 3G 8GB I fear the Pre is going to be priced in line with the iPhone 3GS 16GB which is £186 upfront on an 18 month contract!!!!! Don't even mention 24 month contracts cause I'm not signing up for one!

Palm better make sure they keep the price down as otherwise it's going to struggle because I'm not paying that kind of money for any device upfront and neither will most non-iphone loving users, not when the latest N97 (despite how crap I think it is 6 of my mates have one already and they love it) is free all networks its available on.

I just hope Palm create a specific tariff on O2 so fingers crossed it maybe only £99 upfront and then at most £35 for or even better free on £40 a month.
    Fingers crossed it is relatively cheap on the £35 p/m contract. Is there anymore news on a release date for the UK yet? I check online everyday but everything seems to have went quiet. The "in time for Christmas" that O2 are advertising is extremely vague. I want my palm pre now
    Totally agree with the OP!

If Palm and o2 price this the same as the 3Gs its going to be DEAD IN THE WATER!!!

It MAY stand a chance against the 3g at £99 though...
  4. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yep, pricing will be key. Unfortunately O2 are about the worst IMO for pricing devices.

Rumours are that a launch date will be announced on the 15th SEP where Palm are showcasing the pre.....could we see a release this month?
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Did anything come out of that? I've not seen any stories about it. :/
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    did you guys see that UK Pre version WILL have an option for mini SD card?!

"Sim-free" Palm Pre pops up in the UK for two online retailers (Phone Arena News)

pay attention to the pictures on this page
    A bit sus' that the only bit in purple is miniSD. Can anybody confirm from the 02 site. Does not let me (international) in.
    Last edited by johncc; 09/16/2009 at 10:26 PM.
    I'm sorry but I don't believe that pre-order page at all. MiniSD? How come that hasn't appeared in the US then? Surely they'd like a MiniSD slot?
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I do hope we get a card slot. Maybe this is the new versions that have been showing up in the inventories in the US under various codenames? would be a BIG thing for me if it did. Just hope it doesnt have the same limitations as Andriod!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    October 16th, on a number of tariffs.

Palm Pre coming to the UK and Ireland October 16, Germany October 13, all O2 exclusives

The press release doesn't make any mention of the phone's availability or pricing on PAYG or unlocked, but I spoke to the reps in the O2 store here in Dundee over lunch and they said that O2 won't be selling the phone off-contract, at least in their own stores.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    You will hopefully will be able to get it off contract from the re-sellers. Probably unlocked too if history holds true.
  13. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Well the pricing was as feared...Same as the iPhone.....Thats not the way to go Palm
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Well the pricing was as feared...Same as the iPhone.....Thats not the way to go Palm
    It is stupid, i can pick up the N900 for £392 on payg and it will be unlocked and unbranded.

I want a Pre, but they are making it hard for me to buy.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Out of interest, how low would the Pre have to be before you'd consider it anything other than a rip-off?

I currently pay £35 a month to Vodafone, and I'm more than happy to pay the same to O2 to get a phone I like (instead of my current Samsung dumb handset); I don't have a problem with a two year contract either. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting a free Pre for no more outlay per month than I already pay.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I think it depends what your getting compared to other devices and tarrifs.

£35 pm is fine if your getting plenty of minutes and texts with data on an 18month contract. 24-month contract for £34.26 (600 minutes, 500 texts, unlimited data) isnt a good deal compared to say the N97, Hero or N900 where £35pm on a 18month contract will get you all of the above and more.

Compared to other smartphones, it seems your paying a lot more for less.
    i hope unlike the iphone we can argue about the contracts with o2.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Out of interest, how low would the Pre have to be before you'd consider it anything other than a rip-off?

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting a free Pre for no more outlay per month than I already pay.
    I missed that last line before, so if someone gave you a Pre as a pressie, you would still be happy to pay £35pm?

The Pre isnt 'free', your paying extra per month to cover the device cost and sometimes way over retail price on some plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansus View Post
    I missed that last line before, so if someone gave you a Pre as a pressie, you would still be happy to pay £35pm?

The Pre isnt 'free', your paying extra per month to cover the device cost and sometimes way over retail price on some plans.
    I bought my Treo 680 2 years ago sim free, so that I could stay on Orange.

So now I will swap to O2 for the same monthly charge and get a Palm Pre for free.

So for me the Pre is free, as I would otherwise carry on with my 680.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  20.    #20  
    All in all I canít complain about the price, looking at other phones available on other networks it does seems as though the 2 year contract is becoming more common.

The fact they (o2) are offering it on 18 months at all is a good thing. I would like to have seen a £40/month contract with maybe a £45-£55 upfront price for the phone though (I used to pay £40/month on T-mobile, but 45 is a bit too much)

I was a bit angry when I first saw the prices but I then looked at how much Sprint customers are paying.

Sprint: (2 years)
    Phone: £93
    Everything Data (the one with 450mins) is £43
    So over 2 years thatís about £1125

O2 (2 year)
    Phone: £0
    500mins 600 texts = £35
    so over 2 years thatís about £840

O2 (18 month)
    Phone: £96
    500mins 600 texts = £35
    so over 18 Months thatís about £726

All in all, I donít think we get a bad deal

The next question is do I go for the 18 month or 2 year deal
    Last edited by everton86; 09/25/2009 at 11:49 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast