Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    umm for 18 months its 100 for the phone.

but its like having a 21month contract with an upgrade at 18 motnhs, in terms of if the phone was free and the 100 was spread over the contract. i prefer this, AS i get to upgrade 6 months before the 2 year contract, and it works out abotu 100 cheaper.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansus View Post
    I missed that last line before, so if someone gave you a Pre as a pressie, you would still be happy to pay 35pm?

The Pre isnt 'free', your paying extra per month to cover the device cost and sometimes way over retail price on some plans.
    I'm already paying 35 a month for my mobile contract. I'm getting the Pre at no extra cost to me, so as far as I'm concerned, it's free.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I'm already paying 35 a month for my mobile contract. I'm getting the Pre at no extra cost to me, so as far as I'm concerned, it's free.
    So if someone gave you a Pre as a present, would you still be happy to pay 35pm?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everton86 View Post

The next question is do I go for the 18 month or 2 year deal
    Depends if your an early adopter or not, this time next year there will be some seriously powerful devices coming out ie with 1-2ghz processors and LTE.

If you dont mind waiting 6 -12 months to get the latest tech, then i guess your ok but if your like many iPhone users, the wait seems to be too much to bare.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    So if someone gave you a Pre as a present, would you still be happy to pay 35pm?
    I guess I would. Not on top of the 35-a-month contract I'd be paying Vodafone, but that's not the case anyway. Instead of paying 35 a month to Vodafone, I will be paying it to O2, and I will get a Pre at no additional cost.

I don't understand what part of this you're missing.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I guess I would. Not on top of the 35-a-month contract I'd be paying Vodafone, but that's not the case anyway. Instead of paying 35 a month to Vodafone, I will be paying it to O2, and I will get a Pre at no additional cost.

I don't understand what part of this you're missing.
    Im not missing any point.

By paying 35pm, about 18 of that goes to service fees and the rest towards hardware.

So if your not paying for hardware, why would you be happy paying over the odds for services? Either you dont understand how you bill is made up or you have more money than sense.

Im not having a pop but if your out of contract with Vodafone and they are still charging you 35pm, you need to have words with them and get your bill reduced. Bit late now maybe if your moving to O2 but hopefully you will remember this 2 years time.
    Last edited by Dansus; 09/25/2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    anyway... Palm and O2 are just ripping us off, im off to get the N900 on payg through Mobile Phones Direct, its only 392 and it will come unlocked and unbranded.

Free for 30pm on a 18month contract if your interested.

Bye Palm.
  8.    #28  
    Depends if your an early adopter or not, this time next year there will be some seriously powerful devices coming out ie with 1-2ghz processors and LTE.

If you dont mind waiting 6 -12 months to get the latest tech, then i guess your ok but if your like many iPhone users, the wait seems to be too much to bare.

I was thinking about that as I have bought an iPhone and G1 since I got my T-mobile contract in March 08, but I made the mistake of getting the MDA vario 3 just as it was about to be replaced.
    I have now decided to go for the 2 years and here is why

1. The Pre is still one of the most powerful phones on the market despite the number of other smart phones coming out, If you look at all of the Android phones coming out they all seem to use that same crappy Qualcomm MSM7210A that my current T-Mobile G1 used. Its going to be a while before we get anything that much more powerful than the Palm Pre or iPhone 3Gs

2. Also on paper its just 96 for the phone but when you add screen protector, the touchstone charger and a case of some sort, never mind an extended or spare battery you're looking at almost 200 in total. ( I know I don't have to get the touchstone but It looks good and I want one for work) .

3. The 96 is almost 3 months service.
    the HTC leo seems to be laucnhing just before the pre AND it has a 1GHz snap dragon proccessor.

man im soo confuused. this, the leo, the xperia x2 or the n900
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    the HTC leo seems to be laucnhing just before the pre AND it has a 1GHz snap dragon proccessor.

man im soo confused. this, the leo, the xperia x2 or the n900
    If you want a mobile computer, get the N900. If you want powerful media phone, get the Leo.

Stay as far away as you can from the X2, its a piece of junk.
    I was thinking about that as I have bought an iPhone and G1 since I got my T-mobile contract in March 08, but I made the mistake of getting the MDA vario 3 just as it was about to be replaced.
    I have now decided to go for the 2 years and here is why

1. The Pre is still one of the most powerful phones on the market despite the number of other smart phones coming out, If you look at all of the Android phones coming out they all seem to use that same crappy Qualcomm MSM7210A that my current T-Mobile G1 used. Its going to be a while before we get anything that much more powerful than the Palm Pre or iPhone 3Gs

2. Also on paper its just 96 for the phone but when you add screen protector, the touchstone charger and a case of some sort, never mind an extended or spare battery you're looking at almost 200 in total. ( I know I don't have to get the touchstone but It looks good and I want one for work) .

3. The 96 is almost 3 months service.
    I am also unsure whether to go for the 18 Month or 24 Month contract. The 18 month totals 713.57 with the 96 for the phone. The 24 Month totals 822.24 difference of 108. 108 for 6 months service is good but the question is do I want to be tied down for an additional 6 months with the pre? With the 18 Month I can upgrade possibly to the Pre2 at 17 Months. For the 2 year contact upgrades are only possible after 21 Months.

Has any existing O2 customers got any deals on the Pre for an upgrade yet? I am currently paying 25 per month for 600 minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet. I am expecting to lose this discount but wondered if anyone had managed any deals?
    If you want a mobile computer, get the N900. If you want powerful media phone, get the Leo.

Stay as far away as you can from the X2, its a piece of junk.
    So how long have you been using the X2?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    So how long have you been using the X2?
    For about an hour at a trade show, had a go at the N900 too.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I can't believe you guys are even considering a WinMo phone, they are junk, total stinking puss ridden junk. I have a Treo Pro and it's an embarrassing mess of a phone.

However, back on topic, I am now even more confused as Orange (my current provider) is going to be offering the iPhone. With the hardware issues, additional costs in getting a touchstone and the fact that so many people think it's just a beta phone, I am really tempted to go for an iPhone instead.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Am a long time, die hard palm user (10+ years), currently have the Treo 680 on Orange. Keen to remain with Plam given the qwerty keyboard. I am deaf and send more texts than anything else hence the need for hard keys rather than a vitual keyboard like the i-phone. However, am concerned as I currently have the ability with volumecare to override the inbuilt volume so it is louder for me should I need to make a call. With the Pre no such app exists yet from what I can find.

Also unless someone can make it clear as I couldn't track it down clearly on the forum due to the multitude of posts how you can transfer the Treo contacts, calendars etc into the pre given that there is no "hot sync" any more?

Whilst not trendy etc, my treo is just how I like it and I am not sure I can be bothered to change over at this point in time and have to spend ages tinkering with it and spend a fortune on apps for new functions. I may wait until the apps increase in number and pricing becomes better and the phone more widely available.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post

man im soo confuused. this, the leo, the xperia x2 or the n900
    I would avoid the X2 as its the same intenal hardware as the x1 with updated software, If you want that one get the first one on the cheap and see if the great minds over at XDA Devs can get the new software on it .

The Leo does look decent but if I wanted a media centric touch screen phone with a large screen and no keyboard I can think of a better alternative (and its soon to be available on Orange and Vodaphone )

The N900 looked good until I found out it had a RESISTIVE!!!! touch screen, also after reading a few reviews its browser is said to be slow which is one of the flaws/problems I have with the T-mobile G1.

16 days till I get a Pre!
    go x2 out of the window, BUT aparently the x3 (snapdragon 4" screen with andriod) is here in january 2010!

but can i wait that long?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

The N900 looked good until I found out it had a RESISTIVE!!!! touch screen, also after reading a few reviews its browser is said to be slow which is one of the flaws/problems I have with the T-mobile G1.

16 days till I get a Pre!
    The resistive screen is fine.

Browser is ok, it does more than your average mobile browser so expect it to be slower on some sites. Good thing about the N900 is that you can run any browser you like, Fennec and Tear will be available soon after launch.
    Last edited by Dansus; 09/30/2009 at 12:46 PM.
    I'm from the Netherlands and looking to buy a Palm Pre in the UK.

On the frontpage someone wrote:
    "Now for the tricky part: the Palm Pre in the UK and Ireland appears to be SIM-locked and since it's exclusive to O2, a SIM-Free version won't be available."

You can buy a phone from 02 without a contract and demand that they unlock it. (UK law dictates they would have to)

I wouldnt worry too much, the Pre should be available unlocked and unbranded from many sources before long. If not, bye bye Palm, im off to buy a N900.
    Is this true? Would it be possible for me to take the train to the UK, buy this phone at a O2 store and then have it unlocked by them and use it back in the Netherlands?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    If they sell it without a contract then it should be possible.

Your best move might be to buy it from Car Phone Warehouse as they usually offer a good price on handsets, but check with them on the unlocking procedure if it needs to be unlocked.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12