Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...as soon as I went true multitasking, I could never ever go back.

It reminds of a huge complaint by mac users back before OS X when threaded multitasking didn't exist. So if you click on any menu bar the entire OS would pause until you made a selection.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Good to hear that OP. As for me I am excited on what would be coming to this wonderful OS. I can see so much potential. =)
    Welcome to the Pre forums. Now, if only we can get you away from Apple forever..
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    ^^^ Why? I love my Pre & love my MacBook Pro.
    Agreed. as much as people complain here on these forums, many won't admit that they too could also not go back to another phone without this level of flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Agreed. as much as people complain here on these forums, many won't admit that they too could also not go back to another phone without this level of flexibility.

I've had my Pre since a week after it was released. I had a 1st gen iTouch for a couple of years before that. If Sprint ever carries the iPhone 3gs I wouldn't think twice about switching. I just really couldn't care less about multi-tasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    I've had my Pre since a week after it was released. I had a 1st gen iTouch for a couple of years before that. If Sprint ever carries the iPhone 3gs I wouldn't think twice about switching. I just really couldn't care less about multi-tasking.
    More power to you my friend. I like to do more than one thing at a time personally. If the pre wasn't out and the iphone came to sprint i'd probably switch too. there just aren't that many smartphones that i would use.
    i refuse to use a blackberry or any android device.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    Not to be a downer, but multi-tasking is overrated. That doesn't mean it isn't useful because there's no doubt that it is a major benefit and iPhone users have a reason to be jealous. BUT, the Pre requires me to reboot almost daily or it slows to an unusable level because of multitasking while my single-tasking iPhone rarely ever needed a reboot.

I still like my Pre, but now that the hype is over then I'm leaning more on my disabled iPhone (over wifi) because of the apps, screen size, iPod, FB3.0, desktop sync, games etc and I'm not suffering any withdrawal from lack of multitasking.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    you might have something wrong with your Pre if it requires to be rebooted daily. I've had mine for over 2 months and the only time I've rebooted it is to go in and out of Dev mode. My Pre works great and its has cheaper rate plans compared to the iPhone.
    I screamed at Apple and ATT so long they agreed to waive my ETF and take the phone back but I decided to keep it, but end ATT service. I use my iphone as an ipod.

I am very happy with the Pre, I just wish my iphone or my Pre would do video.

Thank being said, I own 4 PC's at home at 2 Macs. I love my Macs.
    (I am IT guys for 200 PC's)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diddly4 View Post
    you might have something wrong with your Pre if it requires to be rebooted daily. I've had mine for over 2 months and the only time I've rebooted it is to go in and out of Dev mode. My Pre works great and its has cheaper rate plans compared to the iPhone.
    Daily reboots isn't mandatory because it still works fine when I leave it on all week. But there definitely is a speed increase on a fresh reboot so my guess is that all the swap files necessary for multitasking can bog a system down. And it's the same on the 5 other Pre users I know so I doubt its a defect.

Anyway, it's not a mjor complaint and multitasking has incredible benefits for certain apps. But as you mentioned, the price of the Pre plans vs the iPhone is a major reason for why I recommend it.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I had an iPhone for a week before I returned it and got a Pre. The OS on the iPhone felt primitive, always necessitating hitting the home button to get real work done. And popup notifications didn't cut it.

All phones have their strengths. The Blackberry is wonderful at conserving battery life, and is much better as a phone. iPhone has the games. Android is a bit farther along than the Pre in getting cool software.
    I wouldn't doubt that if you run a bunch of homebrew that isn't terminating listeners and such, a reboot is much more required than those running less.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I too, pleaded with others about the pre's great mulittasking capabilities, only to use it rarely.

BUT, when i was in NYC, I left the camera, phone, and google maps open the entire time, and lOVED the fact they were all ready when i needed them.

Just wish the MTA subway map was out then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Not to be a downer, but multi-tasking is overrated. That doesn't mean it isn't useful because there's no doubt that it is a major benefit and iPhone users have a reason to be jealous. BUT, the Pre requires me to reboot almost daily or it slows to an unusable level because of multitasking while my single-tasking iPhone rarely ever needed a reboot.

I still like my Pre, but now that the hype is over then I'm leaning more on my disabled iPhone (over wifi) because of the apps, screen size, iPod, FB3.0, desktop sync, games etc and I'm not suffering any withdrawal from lack of multitasking.
    I'm with you on that. Multitasking 3rd party apps is the main difference. I don't think too many realize the iphone 3gs multitasks its core apps as well because its not visual like the Pre's. More times than not, i'd go back to a webpage on the pre and it automatically reloads. Not the case in safari.

A jailbreak later though and the iphone streams pandora just fine in background.

What i miss the most is push gmail and notification bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    ^^^ Why? I love my Pre & love my MacBook Pro.
    The hardware on the MBP is sexy, just have to get rid of that garbage OS on it.
    So I'm listening to Pandora, while approaching an apartment that I'm interested in via Sprint Navigation, I park, take a picture of the place and send it via MMS to my girlfriend, then pop over to facebook webpage to update my status. Awaiting her reply I'm posting this. Then I'll plug in the address for the next apartment to look at, wash, rinse and repeat.

Yea.. That multi-tasking is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    The hardware on the MBP is sexy, just have to get rid of that garbage OS on it.
    Ok, I'm no Apple Fanboy. MS does well for me, but calling OSx garbage is just stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by livewirevoodoo View Post
    So I'm listening to Pandora, while approaching an apartment that I'm interested in via Sprint Navigation, I park, take a picture of the place and send it via MMS to my girlfriend, then pop over to facebook webpage to update my status. Awaiting her reply I'm posting this. Then I'll plug in the address for the next apartment to look at, wash, rinse and repeat.

If your PC at home had an interface that operated like an iPhone you'd call it a hunk of junk. How Apple, that invented the "windows" interface, managed to leave something like it out of the iPhone is beyond me. They missed the boat in this particular area. Period.

But because the JesusPhone is always forgiven its flaws, proper multitasking is "overrated".
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livewirevoodoo View Post

I'm not arguing with you because, again, I believe multitasking is great. But even as power users then that is a unique scenario since a large majority of the time we live one app. I do feel the old iPhone was too slow and it made the lack of multitasking very obvious, but the 3GS speed boost makes going in and out of apps pretty seemless. And speed is something the Pre definitely needs to have improved by the next firmware.

Anyway, my problem with people slamming the iPhone because "it doesn't multitask" is that it lays out the argument that WHEN the iPhone allows multitasking then it will be superior to the Pre and Palm should be worried about that. Multitasking is nice, but it should be the only thing Pre users should be gloating about.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast