Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Or you could've listened to pandora in background on iphone, while approaching apartment using Navigon or AT&T navigation, or Tomtom....you park, take a pic, send an email (soon to be MMS by end of summer :P), pop over to the facebook app to update status (replies are sent to email for now but push coming in next update), post over here, then go back to gps..

I'm not seeing the big difference.

With the iphone you could've taken & sent a video if desired. Sent her a voice memo. Had a better mobile facebook experience with a full featured app designed for the device. Have better GPS to use. Use an apartments app if desired. Or use street view in gmaps to see the apartment in advance if desired. List goes on.

Bigger difference..

I hope this was a sarcastic post. Pandora cannot stream in the background on the Iphone or the Ipod touch, if this has changed in the 3GS i'm not aware of it, once it closes, the music ends. And Navigon + Pandora at the same time just isn't happening
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I hope this was a sarcastic post. Pandora cannot stream in the background on the Iphone or the Ipod touch, if this has changed in the 3GS i'm not aware of it, once it closes, the music ends. And Navigon + Pandora at the same time just isn't happening
    Jailbreak app..backgrounder. If homebrew is fair game (no reason why it shouldn't), then so should cydia apps.

Though if we're talking in general, i'll agree the average person won't do either.
    Jailbreak app..backgrounder. If homebrew is fair game (no reason why it shouldn't), then so should cydia apps.

Though if we're talking in general, i'll agree the average person won't do either.
    I wouldn't compare homebrew to jailbreaking. Now rooting is more along the lines of jailbreaking. Homebrew is just an unofficial app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I wouldn't compare homebrew to jailbreaking. Now rooting is more along the lines of jailbreaking. Homebrew is just an unofficial app store.
    Ehh...i thought it was similar. Cydia is an unofficial app store. Trick was getting either one on the device. Both were pretty easy.

Rooting to get Mytether took awhile before i came across the donation version.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Ok, I'm no Apple Fanboy. MS does well for me, but calling OSx garbage is just stupid.
    Frequently among tech fans
    "xxxyyyzzz is a piece of garbage" = "I don't use it, therefore...."
    Louisville Cards :P (although you're not wrong..they'll suck this fall)
    All this time I assumed "cardfan" referred to the "card metaphor" on the Pre.

See what happens when we "assume"
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    lol... even better, or worse. Though, the basketball team is alright.
    On and on it goes. Both phones are game changers as all competitors will try to mimick or outright steal features that work on both. It's a good time to own a Pre, and a good time to own an Iphone. This back and forth is tiresome.
    It's probably important to know, I hate baseball. Five minutes of action squeezed in to two hours. I'll make a couple of games per year to keep my wife happy. She's a basball fan. Go figure...
    Ehh...i thought it was similar. Cydia is an unofficial app store. Trick was getting either one on the device. Both were pretty easy.

Rooting to get Mytether took awhile before i came across the donation version.
    After looking up the jailbreak process I'll have to retract my statement about jailbreaking equaling rooting. That is until I find information that shows that jailbreaking actually messes with system files.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Jailbreaking the Iphone/Touch is just allowing you access to the root files. Similar to how people have been gaining linux access to there Pre's to change themes , pictures ect. So I can see a resemblance there. The only difference is that Cydia is a GUI based app (like preware / filecoaster) to allow you to download the apps or themes directly to your phone. On a pre, you have to gain access and change the files urself, but remember, its just the begining stages of development, and the way these developers have been making progress gives me a good feeling that an app similar to Cydia, or even better, is on it's way!
    What I was originally getting at, is that homebrew apps is just another way to get unofficial apps installed whereas jailbreaking involved changing system files. It looks like I was right, it's just that they've made jailbreaking so easy that even a caveman could do it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123