Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by livewirevoodoo View Post
    So I'm listening to Pandora, while approaching an apartment that I'm interested in via Sprint Navigation, I park, take a picture of the place and send it via MMS to my girlfriend, then pop over to facebook webpage to update my status. Awaiting her reply I'm posting this. Then I'll plug in the address for the next apartment to look at, wash, rinse and repeat.

Yea.. That multi-tasking is overrated.
    Or you could've listened to pandora in background on iphone, while approaching apartment using Navigon or AT&T navigation, or Tomtom....you park, take a pic, send an email (soon to be MMS by end of summer :P), pop over to the facebook app to update status (replies are sent to email for now but push coming in next update), post over here, then go back to gps..

I'm not seeing the big difference.

With the iphone you could've taken & sent a video if desired. Sent her a voice memo. Had a better mobile facebook experience with a full featured app designed for the device. Have better GPS to use. Use an apartments app if desired. Or use street view in gmaps to see the apartment in advance if desired. List goes on.

Bigger difference..
    ok push gmail... I can't live without that, and still don't understand the problem of the iphone with that, that was my concern, we had push email on the treo 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I'm not arguing with you because, again, I believe multitasking is great. But even as power users then that is a unique scenario since a large majority of the time we live one app. I do feel the old iPhone was too slow and it made the lack of multitasking very obvious, but the 3GS speed boost makes going in and out of apps pretty seemless. And speed is something the Pre definitely needs to have improved by the next firmware.

Anyway, my problem with people slamming the iPhone because "it doesn't multitask" is that it lays out the argument that WHEN the iPhone allows multitasking then it will be superior to the Pre and Palm should be worried about that. Multitasking is nice, but it should be the only thing Pre users should be gloating about.
    Have you been trying some beta iPhone OS where you have seen this superior multi tasking it does? That's like me saying When the iPhone has it's multitasking the Pre will have a superior marketplace and full 3D support in their SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    ok push gmail... I can't live without that, and still don't understand the problem of the iphone with that, that was my concern, we had push email on the treo 5 years ago.
    Yep, that along with notifications. Pre rocks there. Navigating the UI and synergy.

If apple wanted push gmail, it'd be on there. They're busy trying to sell MobileMe i guess.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    If your PC at home had an interface that operated like an iPhone you'd call it a hunk of junk.
    If you had an ATM machine that had a fluid WebOS multitasking card deck interface you'd be like "OMG. Thats the coolest ATM in the world!". And then you'd proceed to withdraw your cash just like you would've on one of those "hunk of junk" ATM's that people used to use back in 2008 and get on with your day.

Just because one product does something different doesn't mean the other product sucks. If you understood that concept you'd be a lot less angry with the world.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Hitting the iPhone home button is soooo 2000 late.

I'm a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Or you could've listened to pandora in background on iphone, while approaching apartment using Navigon or AT&T navigation, or Tomtom....you park, take a pic, send an email (soon to be MMS by end of summer :P), pop over to the facebook app to update status (replies are sent to email for now but push coming in next update), post over here, then go back to gps..

I'm not seeing the big difference.

With the iphone you could've taken & sent a video if desired. Sent her a voice memo. Had a better mobile facebook experience with a full featured app designed for the device. Have better GPS to use. Use an apartments app if desired. Or use street view in gmaps to see the apartment in advance if desired. List goes on.

Bigger difference..
    * The Pre has been out three months.

* Apps are coming. Street View too. Though I am sure once the Pre has all those things, you will find something else to gripe about. "Like the Iphone has two colors, and the Pre is BLACK. Why can't they make a color I can find at night?"

* Most importantly, Cards suck. I don't care if you are from Arizona or St Louis... Cards suck. Now, you don't suck for liking them. This is not a personal attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    * The Pre has been out three months.

* Apps are coming. Street View too. Though I am sure once the Pre has all those things, you will find something else to gripe about. "Like the Iphone has two colors, and the Pre is BLACK. Why can't they make a color I can find at night?"

* Most importantly, Cards suck. I don't care if you are from Arizona or St Louis... Cards suck.
    Who's griping? Just comparing.

Louisville Cards :P (although you're not wrong..they'll suck this fall)
    If you had an ATM machine that had a fluid WebOS multitasking card deck interface you'd be like "OMG. Thats the coolest ATM in the world!". And then you'd proceed to withdraw your cash just like you would've on one of those "hunk of junk" ATM's that people used to use back in 2008 and get on with your day.

Just because one product does something different doesn't mean the other product sucks. If you understood that concept you'd be a lot less angry with the world.
    That's a stupid analogy.

Your inner fanboi is showing. The iPhone has a lot of advantages over the Pre, and you can make excuses for it until the cows come home, but user interface isn't one of them. Which is why, as you acknowledged in your previous post, Apple will be fixing it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    * Most importantly, Cards suck. I don't care if you are from Arizona or St Louis... Cards suck.
    Ha. As a humiliated Cubs fan then I can't disagree with that. I've spent so much money on the WinMo, iPhone and Pre MLB Gameday subscriptions and for the last month I haven't used them because the Cubs are guaranteed to end up looking like apes. So while I like Cardfan as a user, his screen name makes me crazy.
    That's because you're acknowledging function (and actually several function that are only there in theory) and ignoring interface. It's not what, it's how.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    That's a stupid analogy.

Your inner fanboi is showing. The iPhone has a lot of advantages over the Pre, and you can make excuses for it until the cows come home, but user interface isn't one of them. Which is why, as you acknowledged in your previous post, Apple will be fixing it.
    The "'Fanboi" accusation is thrown by people who are having difficulty thinking of an intelligent response. But tossing out "Fanboi" to a fellow Pre user is just confusing. Pre is good. iPhone is good. Android is good. Despite how many flourishes and turns either product makes, in the end they both accomplish the same task. The analogy works just fine.

Seriously, at some point you should get embarrassed at how much anger you hold over such trivial things.
    That's because you're acknowledging function (and actually several function that are only there in theory) and ignoring interface. It's not what, it's how.
    Don't disagree. If you switch apps a lot on iphone, its tedious. Or you're very good at knowing where they're at. Using the Pre is much better especially as the lag gets better.

I'd like to see some visual indicators on iphone of processes going on. Go to safari, type in site, press home, goto another app, see indicator on top that safari page is loading. You see this visual process on the Pre in the form of cards. Apple needs to go there.

I hate apple's badge popups.

A clipboard would be great to be able to copy or cut say..3 items...and have Paste1, paste2 or paste3 pop up when pasting.

But don't get me wrong, i got iphone nitpicks too. Both are great devices.
    I'm sure if I owned an iPhone I'd be happy with it. As it is the Pre suits me better, both are good. Can't we just back to the thread topic which is. This former iPhone owner who never said he doesn't still like his iPhone, in impressed by the Pre, and likes it better.
    Fanboi: The accusation someone throws out when they are incapable of an intelligent response.

And when a person tosses out the "Fanboi" response to someone who actually uses the device they are trying to defend then it just ends up making them look a bit confused. Pre is good. iPhone is good. Android is good. Despite how many flourishes and turns either product makes, in the end they both accomplish the same task. The analogy works just fine.

Seriously, at some point you should get embarrassed at how much anger you hold over such trivial things.
    Nice sidetrack, fanboi.
    Who's griping? Just comparing.

Louisville Cards :P (although you're not wrong..they'll suck this fall)
    lol... even better, or worse. Though, the basketball team is alright.

The Iphone is a good phone. The Pre is a good phone.

IPhone multitasks but not completely.

Pre doesn't have a video camera.

IPhone cannot be hooked to more than one ITunes Library.

Pre doesn't have very many Apps.

On and on it goes. Both phones are game changers as all competitors will try to mimick or outright steal features that work on both. It's a good time to own a Pre, and a good time to own an Iphone. This back and forth is tiresome.
    Don't disagree. If you switch apps a lot on iphone, its tedious. Or you're very good at knowing where they're at. Using the Pre is much better especially as the lag gets better.
    Agreed. I think the emphasis on literal "multitasking" is wrong, for me it's all about how the interface works.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    Hitting the iPhone home button is soooo 2000 late.

I'm a Pre.
    I couldn't say it better myself. I have an Ipod Touch that i use in my car to listen to music. I love the OS and the screen sensitivity. But say i had Cydia open (and if any of you know, loading cydia, you have to wait for it to update) and i wanted to open another app to see if it installed correctly, i would have to press the home button, exit out of cydia, open the app i want to check, find out its not working, then go back AGAIN and load cydia and wait for it to update. IMO its a waste of time! All phones should have multitasking capabilities....sometimes i wonder how i worked on my other phones, having to close and open close and open everytime i wanted to do something different! Another example, your on a webpage, but want to change ur screen settings...well guess what, you have to exit the browser, change what u want then reopen the browser....overall....The pre is jus GREAT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    I couldn't say it better myself. I have an Ipod Touch that i use in my car to listen to music. I love the OS and the screen sensitivity. But say i had Cydia open (and if any of you know, loading cydia, you have to wait for it to update) and i wanted to open another app to see if it installed correctly, i would have to press the home button, exit out of cydia, open the app i want to check, find out its not working, then go back AGAIN and load cydia and wait for it to update. IMO its a waste of time! All phones should have multitasking capabilities....sometimes i wonder how i worked on my other phones, having to close and open close and open everytime i wanted to do something different! Another example, your on a webpage, but want to change ur screen settings...well guess what, you have to exit the browser, change what u want then reopen the browser....overall....The pre is jus GREAT!!!
    Like Gmoney said, its more about navigating between those apps. Open & close does suck. Swapping is what we want.
    Ha. As a humiliated Cubs fan then I can't disagree with that. I've spent so much money on the WinMo, iPhone and Pre MLB Gameday subscriptions and for the last month I haven't used them because the Cubs are guaranteed to end up looking like apes. So while I like Cardfan as a user, his screen name makes me crazy.
    Ooooh. Never a good time to be a Cubs fan. They could win 120 games in a season and still get swept in the playoffs.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast