1.    #1  
    First off, I love my PRE! I left Verizon after 10 years and am happy I did to get this phone. I love my Sprint plan, voice network has not been a problem for me, roam once in a while, but never without a signal.

That being said, the data network isn't as good as Verizon in my area... so I will be returning to big V once they get the Pre.

Now onto my question... can I just port my number back to Verizon, pay the ETF of $200 and be done with it? I will probably be able to sell my phone on eBay for close to $200 so I think it will be a wash... Any problems with this idea?
    Hurricane350, Did you know that you can constantly roam on the Verizon network?
  3.    #3  
    I do.

I choose not to cause:

a) They could and probably would terminate/fine me base on my usage (currently 3-4GB a month)

b) Roaming data is only 1XRTT as opposed to EVDO so it is much slower data rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    I do.

I choose not to cause:

a) They could and probably would terminate/fine me base on my usage (currently 3-4GB a month)

b) Roaming data is only 1XRTT as opposed to EVDO so it is much slower data rates.
    So, if you're "data roaming" on a verizon network, you don't get the same speed as if you were on the verizon network as a subsriber? I've been wondering how this works, I notice that I get 1X on verizon data roam.

If I was a subscriber, it could be faster?
  5.    #5  
    Much faster!

Think of 1X roaming as the days of dial-up and EVDO as DSL speeds...once we get LTE it will be like broadband, finally!

Yes, you have to be a subscriber to receive EVDO data on Verizon. My phone flies when its on Sprint's EVDO, its just not as widespread as say Verizon's in my area...
    they wont "fine" u. If your roaming for more than 50% of your usage over a 3 month time frame, carriers reserve the right to cancel your service. NO ETF fee.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    The answer to your actual question is no, there will be no problem with it and I also believe Sprint is now prorating the ETF so you would pay less than $200.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    LALALA Sprint data speeds spanks Verizon in my area. :-) Guy above me answered your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    LALALA Sprint data speeds spanks Verizon in my area. :-) Guy above me answered your question.
    While this is true is many cases, unfortunately, it's location dependent. As the OP stated, he gets better data service in his area with Verizon so there isn't much he can do.
    Verizon does have better coverage in certain areas. Where he lives is probably better with Verizon. I would do the same thing and change if I had problems. My question is if the OP is within the first 30 days. Their should be no charge if it is within the first 30 days. And if you waited after the first 30 days, shame on you. You should of seen the coverage was not as good by then.

By the way, my sister is with Verizon, and was told by the Manager at the Verizon store in Floriday, that the Pre would be available to Verizon in the first quarter of 2010. He said they were expecting it by the end of January, beginning of February. But we know about delays, don't we.

Good luck at Verizon, the network is fine, the prices are higher though.
    I'm still on my first month with Sprint.. The network is decent in the Washington DC area. I know it's supposed to be even faster in Baltimore with 4G deployed there. I'm just have crappy reception for both Verizon and Sprint at home as I'm in a low spot. I know that both services are now offering wireless roaming for voice to your own WiFi data network. So I'm thinking about trying that otherwise I'm fairly happy with Sprint's coverage, though when I travel, Verizon's coverage is definitely more accessible. I didn' know that roaming was only on Verizon's 1x network.. that's probably why I get so crappy speeds at home.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Verizon does have better coverage in certain areas. Where he lives is probably better with Verizon. I would do the same thing and change if I had problems. My question is if the OP is within the first 30 days. Their should be no charge if it is within the first 30 days. And if you waited after the first 30 days, shame on you. You should of seen the coverage was not as good by then.

By the way, my sister is with Verizon, and was told by the Manager at the Verizon store in Floriday, that the Pre would be available to Verizon in the first quarter of 2010. He said they were expecting it by the end of January, beginning of February. But we know about delays, don't we.

Good luck at Verizon, the network is fine, the prices are higher though.
    I am not within my 30 days. I bought my Pre @ launch.

I did take my 30 day window and made sure I had ample voice & data coverage. I only have spotty data coverage at a few places while I am out & about. I decided this was enough to get me through until I get back on Verizon where I had excellent data/voice everywhere for 10+ years. Also, all my friends are on big V.

I was just curious if I can end my contract with Sprint, pay the ETF of 200 and go back to Verizon. It seems too easy. I mean I should be able to get ~ 150 - 200 for my Pre when I leave Sprint and I really don't see that much of an offset then.
    I am not within my 30 days. I bought my Pre @ launch.

I did take my 30 day window and made sure I had ample voice & data coverage. I only have spotty data coverage at a few places while I am out & about. I decided this was enough to get me through until I get back on Verizon where I had excellent data/voice everywhere for 10+ years. Also, all my friends are on big V.

I was just curious if I can end my contract with Sprint, pay the ETF of 200 and go back to Verizon. It seems too easy. I mean I should be able to get ~ 150 - 200 for my Pre when I leave Sprint and I really don't see that much of an offset then.
    I can take a small service hit, can't stand Verizon. All phones are locked down, and soon enough it will be even worse with the introduction the Verizon app store. They also charge way to much for all plans, and data well they rate third in speed. Even with LTE it's gonna take awhile for it to be widespread.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    I do.

I choose not to cause:

Just a point of clarification for item B: This really depends on where you are. I can roam on Verizon with EVDO where I am. It's not always limited to 1XRTT for data roaming.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.