Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've had my Pre for a little over a week and I must say overall I love the device and WebOS. Like many others on here I do have a hardware annoyance though (though not as bad as 'some' I've read about). I noticed on probably the second day that there was a small (tiny) crack inside the gesture area that when in a dimly lit room you can actually see the back lighting come through.

I'm curious if you guys think it is worth returning the device for something so small? I'm still within my thirty days and figure I can threaten returning the entire thing if they won't swap me.

Here is a link to a picture of it (the crack circled in red and if you click on the photo it will give you a higher res version which may be easier to see) ...

http: //cid-f291b1716794dac8.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/PreScratchInternal .JPG

(remove spaces)

Let me know what you guys think ...

Thanks for your opinions and or thoughts!
    It's a $650.00 device. Hell yeah you should try to return it while you still can. If it bugs you now, it's only going to get worse. Don't settle.
    I have that in all 4 corners on my new (3rd pre). I am debating this as well. I just want Palm to up the quality control so I can stop exchanging them. What is worse, a loose slider or light leakage?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    I have that in all 4 corners on my new (3rd pre). I am debating this as well. I just want Palm to up the quality control so I can stop exchanging them. What is worse, a loose slider or light leakage?
    I think you must have had every problem ever mentioned on this board and a couple that weren't. Must be some bad mojo.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I think you must have had every problem ever mentioned on this board and a couple that weren't. Must be some bad mojo.
    Tell me about it. I am on my third. First one had flaky paint, wth. 2nd, oreo cookie monster. My third has a great slider, tight and snappy. But it has light leakage, and the closing slider crash (plus my grid seems amplified like I've said).

I really love this phone and I'm trying to be patient. I know my sprint rep is going to throw her shoe at me if I walk in there this weekend but I don't think that should stop me (she has been patient so far). I am debating dealing with palm directly but that seems grim. Should I go to a different sprint store to just to keep them from thinking I'm disillusion (maybe I am cursed)
  6.    #6  
    After hearing some of these horror stories I feel silly complaining about such a small thing! Overall my experience has been very pleasant. This issue though small is just annoying and I know I'll dwell on it if I don't do something about it (or at least try).
    Yeah, try another store and see what you get. Definitely don't just accept a sub-par device because you're tired of exchanging them.
    Quote Originally Posted by xThe IceMaN View Post
    It's a $650.00 device. Hell yeah you should try to return it while you still can. If it bugs you now, it's only going to get worse. Don't settle.
    Palm's list price without a contract is only $549.99 but still if its a manufacturers defect then you should return it.
    The problem I have now is the dang waiting list. Sprint customer service told me that as long as I report the problem (because of stock issues) that I can do an exchange even after 30 days. I just worry that if the next one has problems I will be stuck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xThe IceMaN View Post

Here's your photo.

I just noticed the same with mine in the same place yesterday.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post

Here's your photo.

I just noticed the same with mine in the same place yesterday.
    I have the same. Same side too. Honestly didn't notice it until I read it in this forum a couple weeks ago. It's not a crack tough.
    I have it too, going to try and replace it due to this and the two "white spots" at the lower left and right side when the phone gets hot, more easily seen on a darker background like pandora.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Common problem. I have it too. But I can only see it in the dark.

It's the internals:

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/Pa...complete-1.jpg

(top right part) Exactly the same corners.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I talked to a Palm rep about this. It's a defect they are looking into. It has to do with heat, pressure, or both combined. Palm recommends to exchange it at sprint or to send it to their repair centers. It's the biggest issue with the phone right now, because they believe many phones are susceptible to it. The screen defect causes bubbles, cracks, color distortion, and the light showing through the edges.

It sucks because a lot of people with good phones might end up with this in the near future. Baby your phone. Keep it in a cool area and never in direct sunlight.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I already replaced my first pre because two of the keys would get stuck and the headset sucked...

On this second one, problems came around the second week.

i have the typical slider problem and when i went to talk to someone at my local sprint store I was told that palm designed it like that cuz otherwise the device would not be able to slide open. I literally responded, "Yeeeeaaaah.....right."

last night before going to bed I did a soft reset on my phone and i noticed the "crack" on the gesture area and I also noticed 2 dead pixels on my screen. one on the upper left corner and one in the middle.

I feel like I am being a little bi*ch for replacing it again, but I had to pay 550 for the phone which to me is a 100 more than what I pay for rent. It is a lot of sacrifice for a college student so the least I can expect is a perfectly working device.

ps. dont get me wrong, I love the phone!
    Holy crap, never noticed this before but it's there!

Kinda worrisome. It's not a problem for me now, I never even noticed it, so it doesn't bother me. It's just kinda worrisome in that it could get worse in the future, and my 30 days is up soon (just like everyone else who got a phone on launch day like me).

I'm not going to worry about it personally, but I'm certainly going to keep an eye on the forums for the issue in the future to see what happens.
  18.    #18  
    That is exactly my worry ... is that over time with stress/pressure put on it ... is that tiny little crack going to become bigger and uglier and bug me even more! Needless to say I think I am going to run to the Sprint store at lunch today and show them. When I bought it they claimed they hadn't gotten any returned yet so this should be interesting.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    I talked to a Palm rep about this. It's a defect they are looking into. It has to do with heat, pressure, or both combined. Palm recommends to exchange it at sprint or to send it to their repair centers. It's the biggest issue with the phone right now, because they believe many phones are susceptible to it. The screen defect causes bubbles, cracks, color distortion, and the light showing through the edges.

It sucks because a lot of people with good phones might end up with this in the near future. Baby your phone. Keep it in a cool area and never in direct sunlight.
    Thanks, but should I actually call sprint and talk until someone tells me to return it, so they have this in their "phone records" as my proof that I was told by sprint representatives to return it,

OR would they likely return it at the store without problem?

I just don't want to sound like an ***** at the store "claiming" that this is the general policy when they don't return my phone.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast