Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I also had the infamous USB crack. Started out small (like I think yours is, tough to tell on that pic though,) and gradually worked its way across the screen. Never had any underlying touch screen issues with it, but it made me paranoid. My local "authorized repair center" also won't replace for the USB crack (they claim it's not a "known issue,") and wanted me to go through Asurion. I called Palm corporate customer service, I don't recall the number, but it's on a thread around here and also in one on the Palm site, and they did an advance warranty exchange for free (waived the 29.99 fee), because they "suspect this may be a warranty related issue." Sure, they put a hold on your credit card for 400 bucks, but that isn't a real charge, and in 2 days I had a new Pre. Sent mine back a week later and that was it, super easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Where is your store to dont go over there, lol ...and about the "known issue" how you cant replace if the phone just crack without any hit or something like that?
    Haha. I'm Northern California. So unless you take a road trip, I doubt you'll have that problem.

This is what we're being told:
    "We do not have any agreement from Palm that this is a problem with their device. Please understand that we have discussed this with Palm at length and are still working with them for a satisfactory resolution. "

So we have no choice but to refer to Asurion.. or I guess Palm now too. I'll relay that information to my people.
    Even if there is no other indication of damage, the crack is still very significant and can be felt through the acrylic of the screen.. Most of the time, the phones that I see that have this issue have extensive housing damage and drop marks as well. And.. well.. there's no real way to prove that it's never been dropped. *shrug*
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Unbelievable! Every little problem I have had so far has been mentioned in these forums. Now I'm browsing this site to find out that the the scratch coming up from my USB port is probably a crack. I haven't put it under a magnifying glass yet to confirm but it seems to be getting bigger. And I have never dropped my phone. I just want this phone to be more durable. This is my second and it looks like a third may be in order.
    Last edited by jaywaller; 02/18/2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post
    Haha. I'm Northern California. So unless you take a road trip, I doubt you'll have that problem.

"We do not have any agreement from Palm that this is a problem with their device. Please understand that we have discussed this with Palm at length and are still working with them for a satisfactory resolution. "

So we have no choice but to refer to Asurion.. or I guess Palm now too. I'll relay that information to my people.
    Even if there is no other indication of damage, the crack is still very significant and can be felt through the acrylic of the screen.. Most of the time, the phones that I see that have this issue have extensive housing damage and drop marks as well. And.. well.. there's no real way to prove that it's never been dropped. *shrug*

Thanks God you live over there and not by the east side .
    My pre is my other kid lol, never dropped before, no housing damage , and there is a way to prove it ... looks like new , no scratches at all... :/, but anyways i'll try to get my replace tomorrow in one of the sprint stores.
    and how did it go? i went to 2 sprint stores and they told me to go and f... myself... I called palm and i'm getting the advanced exchange or however it's called....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post

Kytton, I've had the USB crack for a few months now. It has not affected the functionality of the phone but its started across the screen (about 1/8" - 1/4" into the lighted area) but not spreading. My phone is in good condition (no scuff marks) in spite of use since launch day, storage in my pocket, and only using USB chargers (because I did not want to spend extra for the touchstone). I figured I'd wait until the crack caused something else to break, but now I'm wondering if I scuff up my phone, I'd loose the opportunity to replace an otherwise defectively designed phone.

I guess the only real way to avoid a repeat of the problem might be to almost exclusively use touchstones. Have you noticed any correlation to USB cracks and owners that don't have touchstones?

Lastly is a general question for the group here: The USB cover has been gone for a couple of months. I'd like to learn the technique for opening the USB cover that best avoids the problem. The only way I knew to open the USB was to stick my thumbnail under the cover (usually from the bottom side of the phone, I think) and flick the USB cover (not the phone slider) open. Is this what you say/think causes the crack? Anyone know of any video that shows the "proper/best" way to open the USB cover?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    when you guys go through the palm 29.99 route.... do they require you to provide your receipt when you purchased the pre? or any additional info? like sprint account number?

i bought my pre used off craigslist.. so no receipts..
    Last edited by Jumpman6235; 02/17/2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman6235 View Post
    when you guys go through the palm 29.99 route.... do they require you to provide your receipt when you purchased the pre? or any additional info? like sprint account number?

i bought my pre used off craigslist.. so no receipts..
    well, when I did call ,they ask my name , my company , phone number , version and serial number and they check the system to help me
    Ok so I will write my story here about my experience at sprint.

OK so I went to sprint and I spoke with the guy told him about the crack bla bla bla he said that they do not fix it. SO i told him that you do and he should check. So he went over to a technician and he said that "YES WE REPLACE PREs with crack next to usb door". OK
    They asked me to put some info on a piece of paper like name, phone number, palm profile email and PASSWORD?! (I told them i'm not giving you my palm profile password). Ok so I gave them my phone and Left they told me to come back in an hour... When i came back they told me that they cannot replace the phone because it's not a cosmetic damage. How the heck should it not be a cosmetic damage? I never dropped my phone I have it since day1 and they told me that I made the crack by using USB port. It's not my fault I have to transfer files to my pre somehow...

So i told the guy to replace it because it's not my fault and there is no visible evidence that it was my fault. They said they won't do it. So i asked it there is a sprint manager, he wasn't there. So i was like. SO you are blaming me because I was using usb port and the case cracked? So what should I not use the usb port? the guy just looked at me like I'm full of ****.

I pay my insurance I still have warranty and sprint is such a ****...

Anyway I called Palm and they sending me new Pre
    My crack developed about 1.5 weeks ago and has slowly moved up

(sounds dirtier than it is...)

I've always used the USB and never dropped. Got the phone in August. I'll be going the route of calling Palm.
    This problem seems like a good argument for removing the USB cover. Has anyone found a way to take the cover off without breaking anything?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Well - they won't advance me one. 7-10 days (not possible) or $199 non refundable, plus $400 core charge + $29.99

I called the 8774263777

Guess I'll hope it doesn't break worse
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    Well - they won't advance me one. 7-10 days (not possible) or $199 non refundable, plus $400 core charge + $29.99

I called the 8774263777

Guess I'll hope it doesn't break worse
    the advance method is that you pay $29.99 +tax and they hold 400 bucks on your credit card. That;s how I did it. They hold 400 bucks in a case that you don't return them the damaged Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    the advance method is that you pay $29.99 +tax and they hold 400 bucks on your credit card. That;s how I did it. They hold 400 bucks in a case that you don't return them the damaged Pre
    Thats what I was hoping for but "I wasn't eligible" for that... I would jump at that in a second!
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this , what I don't understand they send you a refurbished phone .
    I though the refurbished phone was some phone rebuild or return and fixed it , but the lady from palm told me the refurbished phone is a brand new phone, never used before the only thing is don't come with any extra just the phone.
    So I'm a lil confuse about a "REFURBISHED" phone!
    in my dictionary REFURB is a REFURB which is old phone fixed by palm.. hmm
    in my dictionary REFURB is a REFURB which is old phone fixed by palm.. hmm
    I though the same!
    so did you got your pre replaced? or no?

coz in ur previous posts it says that you were going to sprint store
    so did you got your pre replaced? or no?

coz in ur previous posts it says that you were going to sprint store
    im still thinking because i bought my phone brand new in july and i'll not like to receive a refurb phone ( fixed by palm or sprint ) :/!
    My phone has the USB crack as well. Almost extending to the touchscreen. A technician ordered me a refurb after a brief inspection, and it should be in the store in the next day or so.

Not bad, considering I have a launch day Pre. I guess it all depends on where you go.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast