Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mine has been getting worse when charging overnight through usb. Now i have a crack about 1/4 of an inch in the visable screen area. So the best bet is to call Palm?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quite frankly the Pre build quality is shoddy at best. My dad's Pre screen crack, coming from the gesture area, and not from physical abuse. I found the support article on sprints site that says "If the screen on your PalmŪ Pre™ did not crack as a result of abuse, please visit the nearest Sprint Service & Repair Center for a warranty exchange." Wow, that speaks volumes. They are acknowledging build issues with the Pre, and crack screen issues suck, it basically makes the phone unusable for the average user.

The other issue is on my wifes Pre. She has a mobile snap on case on her Pre. I took the case off to switch out the battery (she ran the phone till it died) and part of the black plastic around the screen came off. Basically the plastic used on the Pre is super cheap and brittle. Really, since when have issues like these been ok for any device on the market? I don't see how it can be justified, even if you love Palm and love Web OS, poor quality on your products does not help you stay in business.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I just got my Pre on Christmas and you guys are making me really nervous...
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    forums.palm.com
    search palm pre cracked screen
    ugh
    i just got off the phone with palm. My issue was the usb crack, its extended in my screen. They said its $200 repair if palm thinks you damaged it and you will be without a phone for 2 weeks. Ugg..Now i was just pressing the center button and it cracked the right bottom corner of the screen! Im going to stop by the sprint store by my work at lunch, this is ridiculous!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thanks ReaganElephant for the number. I called yesterday and they're sending out a phone to me.

Trader05, they tried to tell me the same thing. Don't give up. I calmly explained to them that there are quite a few threads on this website that refer to this specific issue and the crack happens without a person dropping the phone. I told them that I could not be without my phone for that long and that I wouldn't pay for a hardware issue that I'm sure they already know about. I have insurance for when I damage my phone. The rep placed me on hold and came back and said that they're sending a replacement phone out to me. They put a $400 hold on my credit card and waived the $29 fee. For anyone else who's dealing with this issue, I'd recommend giving them a call. They need to know that this is a problem so that they can fix it in their future phones.

BTW, press 2 to speak to corporate customer service. Pressing 1 get you nowhere.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    407 531 4496 dont answer the options, just stay on the line. Be persistent that youre not paying for manufacturers defects. I am on my 4th pre and have never paid for any swaps for these issues through this number. They have even waived the 29.95 "repair fee" on top of waiving the 200 or 100 they will originally tell you it will cost to get a replacement. I jsut got my 4th pre monday so i know its still legit and replacing phones. Pathetic how they have handled this if you ask me, palm should give us some kind of reimbursement for all of this inconvenience (NOT THE PIXI!!!). 4 phones in 6 months for me, and i know there are some out there who have been through more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dansparrow View Post
    407 531 4496 dont answer the options, just stay on the line. Be persistent that youre not paying for manufacturers defects. I am on my 4th pre and have never paid for any swaps for these issues through this number. They have even waived the 29.95 "repair fee" on top of waiving the 200 or 100 they will originally tell you it will cost to get a replacement. I jsut got my 4th pre monday so i know its still legit and replacing phones. Pathetic how they have handled this if you ask me, palm should give us some kind of reimbursement for all of this inconvenience (NOT THE PIXI!!!). 4 phones in 6 months for me, and i know there are some out there who have been through more than that.
    Yeah the only thing that bugged me was the lady said "if there are any other signs of scratches on the pre, you'll pay $199 for replacement/repair costs." My pre has signs of wear and tear, mostly if i accidently put my pre in the same pocket as my keys. Im just trying to avoid paying for a replacement, especially $100 through insurance.
    My cover for the charging port fell off. I ask a sprint repair store if they could give me one but they said they would have to order a new phone. I'm not sure if a new cover will even stay in plus my slider is a bit loose. When I slide the phone open it's sharp around the edges of the port. I guess I will call Sprint and Palm and see what they say. As of now I have a small piece of black electrical tape covering it. lol
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I just started getting the USB side crack, and it's spidering onto the screen.
    Unfortunately, I've also got some minor scratches and a chunk missing (clean break) from the top-left when I dropped it.

I could live with the damage I'm responsible for -- it doesn't affect the device.
    It sucks that it's going to block me from getting a repair for a manufacturers defect.
    just tried the sprint store by me, that was a no go. They said to call asurion lol.

::edit::

Called Palm again, they are willing to repair my phone. Im going to have to ship it to them and wait to get it back. I'm going to call back with my service request on monday since i have a long weekend and i need a phone. They didn't offer me an advanced rma, but no charge fix is good enough for me.
    Last edited by Trader05; 12/30/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    I just discovered a tiny crack above the center button of my Pre, hope it doesn't grow.
    I've had my Pre just for 3 weeks now and haven't let it fall down. That poor build quality is a real shame.

Anyone else had this? Did it grow up to the screen?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I had a crack from the usb port, but from my experience and what I've seen in various threads, your crack will eventually spread. Mine took a few weeks to grow about a half inch and reach the screen, but I think it happens for most people. If you didn't drop/damage the phone to cause the crack, I'd call Palm or Sprint for a replacement. If you caused the crack in some way, go through insurance if you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb176 View Post
    I had a crack from the usb port, but from my experience and what I've seen in various threads, your crack will eventually spread. Mine took a few weeks to grow about a half inch and reach the screen, but I think it happens for most people. If you didn't drop/damage the phone to cause the crack, I'd call Palm or Sprint for a replacement. If you caused the crack in some way, go through insurance if you have it.
    Thanks!
    Warranty shouldn't be a problem here in Switzerland, but the time waiting for it getting repaired or replaced is annoying.
    i called palm early yesterday to send my pre in for repair, but didn't receive email instructions yet. Anyone get their pre replaced by palm before?
    Purchased the Pre when it was first introduced. One Pre phone exchanged because of defect. Battery problems required replacement 3X. No complaints with Sprint as a provider... I am a business professional and treat the technology with TLC....

This morning I met with a rep at the local Sprint "Full" Service Center to seek resolution for a .5" screen crack initiating from the small hole which holds the flap 'cover' for the USB port. While I held the phone, the rep quickly stated
    "this crack is from Physical Damage." Since I have insurance, the store could help me with a repair/replace for $120.00. I pointed out that my son had his Pre replaced during Xmas due to a vertical crack in the screen... Yes he said that is a known problem but not this problem! Before I could ask a question he gave me the Q & A sheet for repairing/replacing Sprint PDA phones... Concluding, if this is not to your liking, please contact customer service. Thanks! Next in line!

Parked outside the Sprint store, I invested nearly the next 2 hrs speaking with Customer service, Tech Support, Account Services and finally Asurion (insurance provider). Yes there were dropped calls. Each dropped call resulted in speaking with a new Sprint contact and telling the story again... The Sprint conclusion.... contact Palm directly as there is nothing that can be done with "Physical Damage" unless I wanted to pay.....$100 direct to Sprint not the $120 at the Sprint store.

I will be contacting Palm directly. Any advice?

Sorry, tried to upload a picture but the file is too large in jpeg or PDF...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    props to my local sprint store. Took mine in tiday with this problem and they ordered me a new one. No questions asked. Took all of 10 minutes.
    I called Palm and they were willing to replace mine at zero cost. I got my Pre the day it came out and my USB crack started around two months ago. By the way this is my third Pre. First one had a bad microphone, second one the keyboard went out. Palm told me that the Sprint store would replace it, but when I called them they claimed to know nothing about it, so I went back to the phone and called Palm again.

They are sending me a new (or actually "factory refurbished...whatever) phone so that I don't go any time witout a phone. Although as mentioned above, it required me allowing them to place a $400 hold on my credit card, which will be removed as soon as I send back my damaged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    I called Palm and they were willing to replace mine at zero cost. I got my Pre the day it came out and my USB crack started around two months ago. By the way this is my third Pre. First one had a bad microphone, second one the keyboard went out. Palm told me that the Sprint store would replace it, but when I called them they claimed to know nothing about it, so I went back to the phone and called Palm again.

They are sending me a new (or actually "factory refurbished...whatever) phone so that I don't go any time witout a phone. Although as mentioned above, it required me allowing them to place a $400 hold on my credit card, which will be removed as soon as I send back my damaged device.
    thats kool, good to know.
    ***, it says PIC thread i don't see anyone else putting pics lmao