Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I actually have that but it only happened when I first booted up the Pre. Since then it never comes out even at night.
  2.    #22  
    So I just got back from lunch which included a stop at the Sprint store I purchased my Pre at. Well their story was that they can't do anything for me because they aren't an authorized repair site (which apparently means they aren't allowed to take back 'defective' units). So I now have to drive twenty minutes away to get to another Sprint store that is one! Ughhh. She did not seem surprised at all about my 'issue' though which I find somewhat amusing. I'm not sure if I will have time to make it to the other store today so something tells me I won't be able to till Sunday after the holiday. Ughh again!
  3.    #23  
    Alright and now I called the Sprint store that they claimed I needed to go to and they just told me it's not a repair it's a replacement/exchange and that I need to do that at the store I bought it from. So now I'm getting frustrated with the whole run around! Grrr! Glad I didn't drive all the way out there to just find this out.
    I heard Pre's don't get repaired. Have to be exchanged.
  5.    #25  
    Just got back off the phone with the store I purchased it from. Explained to them what the repair store told me. They now are claiming this must be physical damage because they called around and 'no one' has heard of the issue I am talking about.

I'm about ready to just say eff it and return the thing and get my contract reverted (though I am sure that is a near impossible to do even though it is part of the return policy).

They told me if I wanted to bring it back up they would take a 'look' at it to try and determine if it was physical damage or a manufacturing defect. This is all fine and dandy but why couldn't they have done that when I was ALREADY there earlier! Arggghhh.

Is it me or does it just sound like they don't want to replace it for me? I've been with Sprint since 1999 and this is how you get treated when you have what I consider to be a fairly simple request?

::vents frustration::
    other than aesthetics, how does this impair the operation of the phone?
    [QUOTE=theBrknSystm;1727508]Just got back off the phone with the store I purchased it from. Explained to them what the repair store told me. They now are claiming this must be physical damage because they called around and 'no one' has heard of the issue I am talking about.

Dude , here is what you do. I had a crack that was in my syncing port, I took it to the store I bought it from, they were all like well its cracked because you ripped out the plastic door, I told them ( no, the damn door fell out I didn't rip anything out), she told me it will take a couple weeks till they could get one to replace mine.
    I'm not going to wait a couple weeks, I took the phone to the next nearest sprint store, I told them the phone was spontaneously shutting off when I closed the keyboard and sometimes when I was surfing the net)( it really wasn't) the guy saidd ok, went in the back , and came out with a perfect pre. Didn't even see the crack. Just work your mojo man, you will get a new one, don't pay any fees either, you spent a lot of money you deserve a perfect phone for the most part.
    I had the same problem as you did and it look like everyone else. I actually had a post with pictures more than a week ago with the same crack. I sent the pictures to Palm, who thanked me, and then told me to return it. I brought it to Sprint and they took it right back and gave me another one. When I had talked to Palm they had said they hadn't heard of the problem, but after seeing pictures, they said it was a defect.

So the moral of my story is don't keep it, exchange it. Sprint told me I could return a defective phone all I want. They didn't care if I exchanged 10 Pre's, as long as it was defective, they would take it. They said I should be happy with my purchase, and I should get a device as close to perfect as I could get.

After 5 Pre's, I finally might have one that is a keeper, knock on wood.
    i have the same thing on mine since i got it.. its not a crack, its light leaking out from the edge of the screen on the inside of the device
    I am thinking i can live with the leakage for now. I am going to wait until palm gets these quality control issues under control and we get confirmation that there is a change. Then I will just present this defect to sprint (by saying something like "it looks like the screen is coming undone under the glass) and swap it out under the extended warranty service I am paying for. Does this seem like a good idea to wait or will this bite me in the arse later when they try to blame it on me saying I damaged it. I only have 2 days to decide
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Every pre I have seen has some light leakage around the corners of the screen. I am on my 4th pre and currently awaiting my 5th. My first three all came from a sprint store and the other 2 straight from palm. Every one so far has had some type of screen defect. Hopefully 5 will do it for me.

My wife just swapped hers out yesterday and she is on her 3rd. She finally got a perfect one, no dead pixels and minor light leakage. I'm not sure any of the pre's out there don't have some type of light leakage when viewed in a dark room.

I can live with a little bit of leakage but my current pre has 2 stuck pixels and some pretty bad light leakage in the top right corner that is visible all the time. The only time you can't see it is when you are in a very bright room.
    If you have TEP and can live with it for now I'd wait a couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
    If you have TEP and can live with it for now I'd wait a couple of months.
    That is what I'm debating. I have two or three stuck pixels but I think those are hard to avoid as well (I've seen them on all three of my pres). Will I have to pay to exchange it after 30 days with TEP? I would think not as this would be a manufacture defect. I might call Sprint CS and have them notate my account stating I will exchange this for light leakage once palm gets the QC on track.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    That is what I'm debating. I have two or three stuck pixels but I think those are hard to avoid as well (I've seen them on all three of my pres). Will I have to pay to exchange it after 30 days with TEP? I would think not as this would be a manufacture defect. I might call Sprint CS and have them notate my account stating I will exchange this for light leakage once palm gets the QC on track.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Let me know what Sprint CS tells you about waiting.
    Apologies in advance if this has been beaten to death in this forum, didn't find much on it.

Today I was out with the family, responded to a text message. About 15 minutes later I went to make a call and wasn't able to unlock the phone, was unresponsive to my touch. Then some light caught it at a different angle and I realized there were cracks going upwards that look like they were coming from the button on the bottom. The phone was kept in my nutshell case from my 650 and has NEVER been dropped.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did they accept a return? I honestly have no idea what could have done this, for those 15 minutes it was in the nutshell case in my pocket.

TIA,
    Marc
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

It's happened to a lot of us. Try the Sprint store first, if that doesn't work, call Palm. They'll cover it, but you'll have to wait for one to get shipped to you.
    Thanks for the link. That is exactly what my screen looks like.
    Thanks Chuckdddd, gonna head over there tomorrow @ lunch.
    Had this happen to me just the other morning, woke up took her off the charger and the touch screen was unresponsive ...

Upon looking over the phone and multiple resets I found what looked like a flower of cracks branching upward from the gesture area which created the Pre to stop responding to touch ... I've never dropped the phone or anything and now I just got my replacement and hoping it does not happen again ...

Sprint claims its physical screen damage, never went through Palm but got me a new in box Pre for my replacement anyway ... i asked if it was possible it was a defect or leak and was told no, somehow i don't believe it that my Pre went from perfect to 4 cracks overnight on the charger ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast