webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > 3.5mm Headphone Jack Static?
3.5mm Headphone Jack Static?

Old 08/31/2009, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've had my pre for a while and finally i plugged it into my car via the 3.5mm jack.

When I plug the cable it makes a high pitched static noise and everytime the phone slightly moves the same noise occurs. My zune and ipod don't have any problems, I switched out the cable but the pre still makes lots of static noise. I'm thinking the jack is broken.

I have the EPP so should I take it in ? (after wiping all the homebrew of course)
antivirus6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2009, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antivirus6613 View Post
I've had my pre for a while and finally i plugged it into my car via the 3.5mm jack.

When I plug the cable it makes a high pitched static noise and everytime the phone slightly moves the same noise occurs. My zune and ipod don't have any problems, I switched out the cable but the pre still makes lots of static noise. I'm thinking the jack is broken.

I have the EPP so should I take it in ? (after wiping all the homebrew of course)
yes
Old 08/31/2009, 05:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

My original Pre did this all the time. I noticed the 3.5 male end was hitting the battery cover, and not going in all the way, thus causing the static. I am purchased a new 3.5-3.5 cable from radio shack that is "Compatible with recessed ports," as well as a new set of headphones from somewhere else (Forget what they are). Haven't had the problem since with my new Pre. Can't tell if it is just the new Pre or the new cable, but if I use a "normal" cable where the plug sits against the battery cover, I get that static as well. If I use a plug that goes all the way in, and still has a little room before it hits the cover, I have no problems with static.
Centro85#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2009, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Does it do this if you use headphones? I've had my AUX jack and cables go up in one of my cars multiple times (even though it would seem to work better with certain devices).
Kasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2009, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just tested it with 2 more pairs of headphone and another aux cable, and it still makes static noises. The noise also goes out in the left speaker and right speaker intermittently.

What will they charge if I get service on this phone with EPP ( after wiping homebrew) ?
Old 08/31/2009, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same problem, it's really bad sometimes with the aux cable to my stereo in one car, not quite as bad in the other, and just a soft static with my headphone cable if the Pre is in my pocket while I'm walking around causing the cable to wiggle. Never had any problems with this same gear on a couple of WinMo Phones and my wife's ipod. Probably should take it in for an exchange...
galtish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2009, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wonder what the cost will be?

With the EPP there shouldn't really be any charge, but the downside is I have to remove all my homebrew apps and tweaks.
Old 09/04/2009, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Static issue solved. Had my Pre since late June and this issue started happening a couple days ago while running on a treadmill. I took the battery cover off and noticed that the entire headphone jack assembly seemed to be a little loose. My guess is that over time the solder joints have become loose.

Good ole superglue to the rescue.

I got a toothpick and frayed one end of it. Then applied a drop of superglue to the toothpick and ever so carefully applied the super glue between the jack and the case (the very small seem between the front of the case and the top of the headphone jack). Then I pressed them together firmly for a bout a minute and no more static. Not sure how long this solution will last but if the issues returns I'll post a follow-up.

Only other home remedy I can think of is to completely disassemble the Pre and re-solder the jack module to the IC board.

I figure the superglue solution is better than dealing with Sprint/Insurance. At least until it becomes a bigger issue.

<Update>
12 Days since the repair and it's working like a champ. No static at all, regardless of activity. I run 3 miles, every other day, with it on. Connect to my car stereo to and from work and use it while reading before bed.

Last edited by lawdawgmon; 09/15/2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update info
lawdawgmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Galtish, Tsavo
Old 09/04/2009, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

my headphone jack was really loose it would slip out half way or wiggle, make static sounds or tones and could not be heard on phone calls unless pressed in. This was very annoying so i returned it and got a refurb pre with oreo effect and 10 dead pixels. so i returned it and got a different refurb and it was perfect
larryflynt2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2009, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

mine is doing this too. I don't have EPP and i'm past my 30 days. what are my options here? this is pretty clearly a manufacturers defect.
wmurch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2009, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mine makes a sound that's somewhere between a hiss and static. But it only makes it if my pre is plugged into the Sprint branded micro-usb car charger. If I take it off the charger, the sound it nice and clear.
mu7efcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2009, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawgmon View Post
Static issue solved. Had my Pre since late June and this issue started happening a couple days ago while running on a treadmill. I took the battery cover off and noticed that the entire headphone jack assembly seemed to be a little loose. My guess is that over time the solder joints have become loose.
Wow, great work! I was thinking it was something inside the audio jack, but you are correct - the wiggle of that module is what seems to create the static. Not sure if I'll try and fix it myself or go for a Sprint refurb....
Old 09/04/2009, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the same problem with the supplied ear buds/hands free device. If the Pre is held perfectly still no issue, but bump on touch the audio jack I get a shrill hiss, like audio feed back.

Going to try the super glue fix.
ki6nha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2009, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just curious, how's it holding up for those who have tried the super glue trick?
Old 10/02/2009, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
Just curious, how's it holding up for those who have tried the super glue trick?
No issues at all since I applied the superglue. Works like a champ and based on all the comments from those that are their third/ fourth pre, I'm really glas I fixed this issue myself.
lawdawgmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2009, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
I also had this problem and very carefully applied lawdawgmon's solution to my Pre last week.
So far so good..I use my headphone a lot for music and podcasts, and this solution works.
leftyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: lawdawgmon
Old 10/02/2009, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have this problem too. Im trying the glue tonight thanks!
bigwood212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2009, 12:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

This may be an issue for many but not always for the same reasons. The headphone jack is in a rather inopportune place to collect lint, grime, whatever. Since the phone gets dropped into jeans pockets, purses, etc. For mine the jack itself did not wiggle but gave pops and static for any plug I put in. This has to do with where the contacts hit the plug and how. I'm a guitar player and have this problem with anything that takes balanced or unbalanced plugs....number one solution? Deoxit Gold...sold at guitar center. Takes a night or two to dry and you'll want to have the phone off for a good while, but a good shot of deoxit into the jack and the problem was solved. Mine was prematurely aged from setting in a quarter inch of water for one hour in a cup holder my kids had deposited whatever it was they were drinking. Took 3 days for the power button to start working again:-) Guess it also started something on the contacts of the 3.5 millimeter jack...pops and crackles happened weeks later phasing only single channels of stereo recordings at a time depending on how the plug was twisted in.

Other reasons could be bent contacts from wanking the plug while connected...etc. etc.

Either way, if you have a musician friend and a tiny torx screwdriver handy they may know just exactly what to do if the deoxit doesn't work.

Couple quick tiny shots of deoxit...don't fill your phone up with the stuff! Wait a day to use the jack. If you notice improvement but not all the way fixed...do it again.

I also think that there's some possibility that the third contact for the microphone inside the jack could cause problems for standard stereo plugs.
DirkHerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Inspired by the superglue post, I got creative.

I wanted to find a way to fix it, but not make any permanent changes to the phone. Since the problem is that the jack can move a little bit in it's enclosed space, I took the back off the phone.

I don't want to make any permanent marks to the phone, like superglue could if i manage to touch anything when i'm trying to get a little bit of it in there.

So I took an old credit card, and make 2 cuts along the magnetic strip, and bent it out away from the rest of the card. Put it up against the back of the headphone jack (under the battery cover). I made it the width of the jack, and then sharpened the edge of it, so I could get it in between the phone and the plastic housing of the jack. I inserted it as far as I could, and made a mental note of how deep it would go (i don't want to lose the piece of plastic in the phone). I cut the piece of plastic (it was about 2mm long by 2.5mm wide when I was done). I wedged the piece of plastic behind the jack, to put pressure on the circuit board, then used a black sharpie to color the little bit of white plastic that was shown.

Fixed my problem as far as I can tell.

I can pull the piece of plastic out if I need to return the phone, without leaving any signs of tampering........... and it's black, so you cannot even tell that it's in there.
rjsoderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by beho, EEP1
Old 10/20/2009, 07:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsoderlund View Post
Inspired by the superglue post, I got creative.

I wanted to find a way to fix it, but not make any permanent changes to the phone. Since the problem is that the jack can move a little bit in it's enclosed space, I took the back off the phone.

I don't want to make any permanent marks to the phone, like superglue could if i manage to touch anything when i'm trying to get a little bit of it in there.

So I took an old credit card, and make 2 cuts along the magnetic strip, and bent it out away from the rest of the card. Put it up against the back of the headphone jack (under the battery cover). I made it the width of the jack, and then sharpened the edge of it, so I could get it in between the phone and the plastic housing of the jack. I inserted it as far as I could, and made a mental note of how deep it would go (i don't want to lose the piece of plastic in the phone). I cut the piece of plastic (it was about 2mm long by 2.5mm wide when I was done). I wedged the piece of plastic behind the jack, to put pressure on the circuit board, then used a black sharpie to color the little bit of white plastic that was shown.

Fixed my problem as far as I can tell.

I can pull the piece of plastic out if I need to return the phone, without leaving any signs of tampering........... and it's black, so you cannot even tell that it's in there.
Thanks for this suggestion! I used it and it worked perfectly for me. Solved the static/loose connection problem. I used a piece of the clear clamshell plastic in which the Seidio 1350 mA replacement battery is shipped. Perfect thickness and clear, so it is unobtrusive.
EEP1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0