Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cant you guys send it to palm for the warranty? Its still under a year. Regardless of having EPP or not or the 30 day period.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsoderlund View Post
    Inspired by the superglue post, I got creative.

I wanted to find a way to fix it, but not make any permanent changes to the phone. Since the problem is that the jack can move a little bit in it's enclosed space, I took the back off the phone.

I don't want to make any permanent marks to the phone, like superglue could if i manage to touch anything when i'm trying to get a little bit of it in there.

So I took an old credit card, and make 2 cuts along the magnetic strip, and bent it out away from the rest of the card. Put it up against the back of the headphone jack (under the battery cover). I made it the width of the jack, and then sharpened the edge of it, so I could get it in between the phone and the plastic housing of the jack. I inserted it as far as I could, and made a mental note of how deep it would go (i don't want to lose the piece of plastic in the phone). I cut the piece of plastic (it was about 2mm long by 2.5mm wide when I was done). I wedged the piece of plastic behind the jack, to put pressure on the circuit board, then used a black sharpie to color the little bit of white plastic that was shown.

Fixed my problem as far as I can tell.

I can pull the piece of plastic out if I need to return the phone, without leaving any signs of tampering........... and it's black, so you cannot even tell that it's in there.
    I have the same problem with my GSM Palm Pre. I tried your instructions but the problem didnt solved! maybe i missunderstood somthing?

could you please make a step by step with pictures please? it would be very helpfull
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    im having the same issue, i get the static, and if i move my pre the music stops and skips to the next track, really annoying because i use my pre as my music player sigh...this is my second pre btw....
    Quote Originally Posted by ConeNubi701 View Post
    Cant you guys send it to palm for the warranty? Its still under a year. Regardless of having EPP or not or the 30 day period.
    I could have but I did not want to risk getting a refurb and possibly other build quality issues. This was the only thing wrong with my Pre and one drop of carefully applied superglue is allot easier than replacing a phone.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brown_bear View Post
    im having the same issue, i get the static, and if i move my pre the music stops and skips to the next track, really annoying because i use my pre as my music player sigh...this is my second pre btw....
    I had the same problem, it was especially annoying with Pandora since skipping a song would mean a long pause while the next song would take time to buffer. Since the headphone jack had a little bit of play in it I decided to try to eliminate it. I pulled off the battery cover and placed a couple thin strips of electrical tape on the headphone jack where it meets the battery cover. The battery cover requires a little more work to snap on but my static problems are 99% solved since the play in the jack is gone. If I really try to wiggle the headphone jack, I get a little bit of static but in regular use it doesn't happen anymore.
    I also had a static sound and headphones/speakers would only play from one side when headphone jack was wiggled. Making the headphone jack snug is the solution just like other people have stated. Either by glue or credit card or etc.

An easy fix for me was to cut the tips of 2 zip ties about 4mm long, then insert one at each end of the headphone jack. The tips are tapered just right so you can easily insert both and adjust the tightness as needed. They can also be easily taken out and the back cover fits with no problems.

After the fix the headphones worked like new if not better. Every time I insert my headphones/auxiliary jack, the connection feels very secure and there is no static or speakers going out when phone is moved. I am including a picture for references. Hope this helps guys.

See following post (#27) for link to photo.
    Last edited by THE SYNERGY; 07/18/2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added image.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE SYNERGY View Post
    I also had a static sound and headphones/speakers would only play from one side when headphone jack was wiggled. Making the headphone jack snug is the solution just like other people have stated. Either by glue or credit card or etc.

An easy fix for me was to cut the tips of 2 zip ties about 4mm long, then insert one at each end of the headphone jack. The tips are tapered just right so you can easily insert both and adjust the tightness as needed. They can also be easily taken out and the back cover fits with no problems.

After the fix the headphones worked like new if not better. Every time I insert my headphones/auxiliary jack, the connection feels very secure and there is no static or speakers going out when phone is moved. I am including a picture for references. Hope this helps guys.
    Synergy asked that this photo be attached:

http://a.imageshack.us/img594/8551/p...adphonefix.jpg
    Not only did the zip-tie solution fix the multiple issues I was having with the headphone jack including my pre's inability to detect that the headphones were removed from the pre and the crackling noises and left/right ear muting with headphones in, but it also fixed my issue where when pressing on the upper portion of the pre, the phone's screen would come on or it would make a clicking sound during a conversation as it thought the headphones were inserted temporarily. I've had my pre since launch and I've never replaced it. I'm over a year so no more warranty for me. Thank you guys so much for your solution!!!!
    I was planning on cracking open my Pre (which doesn't look like a small feat) before I found lawdawgmon's superglue solution. I have applied his solution, and it seems to be holding so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Mine makes a sound that's somewhere between a hiss and static. But it only makes it if my pre is plugged into the Sprint branded micro-usb car charger. If I take it off the charger, the sound it nice and clear.
    That is a ground loop fault. There are cables with ground loop isolators in them that will filter that hiss out for you.

Amazon.com: GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR FOR 3.5 MM APPLICATIONS: Automotive

This device is a bit on the expensive side for these things but it is exactly what you are looking for. Shop around and find one cheaper. I think crutchfield also sells them.
    When I get the static/popping when plugging head phones into my Pre I know it's time to once again clean out the head phone jack (usually around every 3 months). I take a Q tip and remove the cotton off of the tip and then spray it with electronic parts cleaner, insert it into the head phone jack, turn it a few times and then remove it, you would be suprised at how much dirt and lint is on the end of the Q tip. I had the same problem with my ipod, used this procedure on it too and it worked like a charm. If you are having the "stuck in headphone" problem, try lightly spraying a little WD40 on the end of the Qtip before inserting it into the head phone jack. Hope this helps you out.
    two pieces of plastic placed as described worked perfectly. thanks a lot.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12