1.    #1  
    my pre seems to randomly dim itself just slightly while in use, or become slightly brighter (the backlight)... is this normal, am i missing something here? it doesnt coincide with touching the screen or anything? i have my screen brightness turned all the way down.
    It has to do with the amount of light your phone is exposed to, The Pre is photo sensitive and adjust lighting based on lighting conditions. This is auto and im sure its there to save battery.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
  3.    #3  
    ohhh well that makes sense then... thanks, im an *****
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Well you're not an *****. You are just courageous enough to ask this question. I'm sure there are a lot out there who have the same concern. Enjoy your Pre. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    ohhh well that makes sense then... thanks, im an *****
    Definitely NOT an *****.
    Mine does this too.
    Though I was aware that it adapts to the lighting level in the room, it does seem somewhat random - it'll just go up and down occasionally with no ambient changes.

Anyone know where the sensor is? Is it the camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaManiac View Post
    Definitely NOT an *****.
    Mine does this too.
    Though I was aware that it adapts to the lighting level in the room, it does seem somewhat random - it'll just go up and down occasionally with no ambient changes.

Anyone know where the sensor is? Is it the camera?
    No it's just to the right of the earpiece of the phone on the front.

That said, there IS something wrong with the code. Mine also changes completely randomly even when the lighting is constant.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Mine does, too. I used to think I was crazy until my rommate used it to play a game and aksed "why does it keep getting darker and lighter?" I felt much better knowing I wan't losing my mind.

Well, maybe I am, but at least the phone has nothing to do with it.
  8.    #8  
    im thinking its possible that the changes that we see when the ambient light is stable, is due to maybe placing your hand or finger over a spot for long enough for the phone to think it got darker... just a thought....
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mine also changes completely randomly even when the lighting is constant.
    Mine does too.
    Ok. I don't think everyone understands how hard it is to make a light level constant. The code in the Pre is probably just fine.

Everything affects how much light your Pre sees. People, changes in voltage, dust, humidity, etc. Just because your Pre is not moving and you have the same number of lights on does not mean the light level is constant. Unless someone has a light meter right next to their Pre, you cannot say the light level is constant.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Is there a power save mode also, where it gets dimmed when poer go below certain level? I notice this more when my battery is low.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Ok. I don't think everyone understands how hard it is to make a light level constant. The code in the Pre is probably just fine.

Everything affects how much light your Pre sees. People, changes in voltage, dust, humidity, etc. Just because your Pre is not moving and you have the same number of lights on does not mean the light level is constant. Unless someone has a light meter right next to their Pre, you cannot say the light level is constant.
    Agreed.*

* = while the light sensor code may be technically working fine, the intent of said code should be revisited. It does not make for an ideal user experience when the display is frequently changing its brightness and it likely has 0 effect if not negative effect on battery life. The CPU is taxed slightly for this task, and I've seen my display set itself to near maximum brightness for a while in a relatively dark room after I walked by a lamp with it. At the very least, I hope Palm eventually gives us the option to disable this feature or modifies it to behave based on the average light level over a sampling period... but for now, it is a fairly minor complaint and I'd prefer that they focus on frying bigger fish.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    I thought mine was randomly changing the brightness and dim when it shouldn't then i realized I kept covering the light sensor with my thumb.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

I get what you're saying, but it's way too touchy the way it is now. I will be sitting at my desk, scrolling through a webpage for 5 minutes, without moving the phone or myself at all (other than one finger scrolling through a block of text) and it will brighten, dim, brighten, and dim randomly while I'm looking at it. There's zero reason for it to do that. If the slight movement from my finger on the bottom left of the touchscreen changes the light that much, then the coding ISN'T fine - I'd prefer it be turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditdah View Post
    I get what you're saying, but it's way too touchy the way it is now. I will be sitting at my desk, scrolling through a webpage for 5 minutes, without moving the phone or myself at all (other than one finger scrolling through a block of text) and it will brighten, dim, brighten, and dim randomly while I'm looking at it. There's zero reason for it to do that. If the slight movement from my finger on the bottom left of the touchscreen changes the light that much, then the coding ISN'T fine - I'd prefer it be turned off.
    Agree. I'm a software developer and there is something wrong with the way this is coded.